What are we missing offensively?

Ramza86

If you are referring specifically to deep shots, I think it's a mix of three things:

1.  Play Design

2.  Offensive Line

3.  Josh Allen

Outside of the New England game, the receivers are not running very many deep routes to begin with.  Most plays seem designed to get people open within 5-10 yards of the line of scrimmage.  The Bills offensive attack is a complete 180 from what we saw last year.  The few times we've called for deep shots, the offensive line hasn't held up long enough for the QB to get the pass off.... or Allen hasn't thrown an accurate pass where the WR can get to it.  It also doesn't help that Robert Foster has been dinged up.  With him out of the lineup, our only deep threat is John Brown.  Teams know that and are going to bring safety help to his side of the field.

Based on all the above factors, I think the Bills are doing the right thing by taking what the defense gives them.  Yardage-wise, we are playing very well and significantly out gaining our opponents.  By sustaining longer drives, we are helping keep the defense fresh.  The problem is that we keep making dumb mistakes at the wrong times (penalties, turnovers, dropped passes, missed blocks), which are killing productive drives and keeping points off the board.  

If the Bills can clean-up their sloppy mistakes, I think the points will come.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

This team was so close to an identity on offense in weeks 2 & 3. Our jet sweep usage and consequent play action of, had defenses on their heels and had to respect that on every play.

I don't think it's a coincidence that our biggest play came on jet sweep action (forward pass toss thing)yesterday. I would reintroduce that action back into the game plan after getting away from it the last two weeks. 

As a further bonus it gets McKenzie involved more, which is always a plus to me.

A couple of times yesterday they showed a replay of Bills receivers "being covered and not getting open" against man to man coverage.  It seemed to me that in those situations where Allen was scrambling out of the pocket and had to throw it away, the receivers were not either coming back to the ball or breaking off the pattern and going deep.  They just seemed to be kind of giving up.  Don't we practice a "scramble drill" for those situations?

6 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

>An answer at right tackle.

>Singletary.

>One more WR threat.

I agree!

Singletary would be a welcome addition as soon as he gets back.

I think Duke helps, but mainly in the red zone, hope I´m wrong and he keeps playing like he did yesterday.

I still think we could add a legit WR to help Brown out (Sanders). He has been our only real thret. Beasly is playing well, and helping the offense to move the chains, but thats all  underneath stuff and it is not enough.

10 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

>An answer at right tackle.

>Singletary.

>One more WR threat.

And consistent hands out of our TE's. Sweeny and Knox both dropped balls yesterday that would have sustained drives and likely lead to points. 

I think our OL is fine.  We played a really good defense yesterday and I only remember a few times where they had pressure.  I'm not counting pressure where Josh is holding onto the ball for 10 seconds and can't find anyone open. 

There's a reason teams, not named NE, don't regularly score on 10 play drives.  Lots of opportunities for a mistake, which we've seen.  Whether it's a turnover, a sack, a holding penalty etc..

Our biggest miss, outside of just playing cleaner football, is the deep ball.  We only have one deep threat right now and Josh has been missing guys when they are open on the long ball.  A healthy Foster with his head screwed on straight would be huge.

Edited by SCBills
  • Like (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Honestly I cant buy that anymore. 

We cannot be seeing the same defense from every team every game. If thats the case we should already know how to be successful against it.

I love Josh but he is not that good.  Barkley didn’t have trouble completing passes down field against the Jets last year.  We can’t keep saying it is the line or receivers.

• Haha (+1) 1

Nearly 85% of Pass plays are like 5 step drops.

Daboll needs to help get the ball out sooner. Shotgun, pivot, throw! Beasley is not a guy who gets open after time. He gets open right away. Quick outs, a quick crossing route, 3 yard curl,  more rub routes etc. John Brown needs a few of those as well.

Knox is athletic, get the ball in his hands quick. 

Singletary should help with some quick quick swing passes etc.

But having Josh sit in the pocket for 3-4 seconds, a lot of the times longer cause our WRs are running 10-15 sometimes 20 yard routes on 1st and 10 a majority of the time is not helping.

Edited by 1ZAYDAY1
  • Like (+1) 1

OMG!!! Why are people so negative. We are 4-1. Yes 4-1. Vegas had us winning 6.5 this year. 

Give the offense a little time. Right now they know we have the defense to support us, so they can take a little time and coach the hero ball out of Josh. He's learning how to play the QB role without relying on his arm. They'll open it up again for the kid and start throwing the long ball when his decision making is a little more mature.

9 minutes ago, Antonio said:

I agree!

Singletary would be a welcome addition as soon as he gets back.

I think Duke helps, but mainly in the red zone, hope I´m wrong and he keeps playing like he did yesterday.

I still think we could add a legit WR to help Brown out (Sanders). He has been our only real thret. Beasly is playing well, and helping the offense to move the chains, but thats all  underneath stuff and it is not enough.

Maybe when Foster gets heathy he will fill that downfield threat role.

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Ray Finkel said:

I love Josh but he is not that good.  Barkley didn’t have trouble completing passes down field against the Jets last year.  We can’t keep saying it is the line or receivers.

I feel like every week the All-22 comes out and proves that WRs were open. It's possible that he is just bad at deep throws. A strong arm isn't the only thing you need to be good at it.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, ProcessAccepted said:

OMG!!! Why are people so negative. We are 4-1. Yes 4-1. Vegas had us winning 6.5 this year. 

Give the offense a little time. Right now they know we have the defense to support us, so they can take a little time and coach the hero ball out of Josh. He's learning how to play the QB role without relying on his arm. They'll open it up again for the kid and start throwing the long ball when his decision making is a little more mature.

Actually this is more of a positive thread. I wouldnt be posting this if I were negative. This season has me with hope. 

Just want to get the ship righted if we are going to seriously make a run for the playoffs.