What are we missing offensively?

Ramza86

We can get drives going...but it just looks like we cant get enough big plays down the field. Im not talking about just a streak down the field for 60 yards.

Is it lack of separation? Is it lack of play design?

I dont think we can use the excuse of there are 2 deep safeties so we can only take what they give. 

Every other NFL team doesnt seem to have that issue. And no team plays two deep the entire game. 

What is it and it this fixable?

If the offense doesnt shape up those tight ones will not always be winnable. 

1 minute ago, Ramza86 said:

We can get drives going...but it just looks like we cant get enough big plays down the field. Im not talking about just a streak down the field for 60 yards.

I dont think we can use the excuse of there are 2 deep safeties so we can only take what they give. 

Every other NFL team doesnt seem to have that issue. And no team plays two deep the entire game. 

it’s the way Allen being coached and the way Defenses are currently playing Allen. 

defenses are playing to make Allen complete passes in areas he struggled last year and sustain the drives. Eventually Teams will allow the shots. Now when that happens Allen cannot miss the WR by 5 yards like he has been so far this season on those shots 

• Like (+1) 3

I think that having Duke out there as an actual receiving threat will help open up opportunities for Brown in the deep throw game, that alone could loosen up coverages on the opposing Ds enough to prompt bigger chunk pass plays, and more scoring. Dukes being on the field and needing to be accounted for in a bigger way than ZJ was,  will also help Beasley’s game a lot. 

Go Bills!!!

Edited by Don Otreply
  • Like (+1) 3

Just now, MAJBobby said:

it’s the way Allen being coached and the way Defenses are currently playing Allen. 

defenses are playing to make Allen complete passes in areas he struggled last year and sustain the drives. Eventually Teams will allow the shots. Now when that happens Allen cannot miss the WR by 5 yards like he has been so far this season on those shots 

Honestly I cant buy that anymore. 

We cannot be seeing the same defense from every team every game. If thats the case we should already know how to be successful against it.

• Like (+1) 3

Just now, Ramza86 said:

We cannot be seeing the same defense from every team every game. If thats the case we should already know how to be successful against it.

these last two weeks we did see the exact same defense. Vrabel coaches the defense in Tenn the same way BB did. 

the shots have been there. Over these first 5 weeks just when Josh has taken them he missed 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

these last two weeks we did see the exact same defense. Vrabel coaches the defense in Tenn the same way BB did. 

the shots have been there. Over these first 5 weeks just when Josh has taken them he missed 

Just about every pre-game analysis I read leading up to the game was analysis as to how Vrabel has not followed BB's footsteps and has instead adopted the Ravens model of defense.  

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

Just about every pre-game analysis I read leading up to the game was analysis as to how Vrabel has not followed BB's footsteps and has instead adopted the Ravens model of defense.  

ok and yet against the Bills player under coverage. Rushed to contain Allen just as BB. Teams look at film and they all right now decide to defend Allen in this specific way

12 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Well when the defense is playing man and our receivers don’t get separation do you still want Allen to throw ? 

There were few opportunities when we had them beat but Allen did missed couple of throws , 

Edited by Putin

1 minute ago, MAJBobby said:

ok and yet against the Bills player under coverage. Rushed to contain Allen just as BB. Teams look at film and they all right now decide to defend Allen in this specific way

That is such a generic interpretation of what happened the last two weeks. That is the equivalent of not understanding defense beyond teams play 3-4 v. 4-3 or zone v. man. There is just so much more that goes into it. 

Three part answer:

1)  Mistakes on the plus side of the field.  Turnovers, not converting on crucial 3rd/4th downs, penalties, sacks and we've seen some drops by the tight ends in that area.

2)  The need for one more legit WR/TE target.   Kroft looks like he's 50/50 on ever suiting up this year and Foster has had nagging injuries all year.  We need that one more big target to threaten defenses.  Whether it's Kroft/Foster in-house or we make a move for someone. 

3)  Connecting on deep passes.   When we've had them, Josh has missed them. 

Duke and Singletary should also help.  We clearly had a need for a big WR and Duke showed out on all 4 targets this past game.   I think it's obvious our offense will have a much needed added dimension with Singletary back into the lineup with Gore.

Edited by SCBills

I think a true #1 WR is the main thing missing. Getting Singeltary back will change the offense up a bit as well. 

Duke Williams looks like an improvement over Zay though, which gives us another decent option.

Main thing is Josh cutting down on errors and reckless plays. Yes he had the interception. But other than that play... 2 TD passes, no fumbles, no head first dives into traffic when running. He also tucked the ball a lot better when he was running. Not pulling that Shady move where he’s out there with it just in his hand waving around. 

• Like (+1) 2

Who's the current deep threat on this team outside of John Brown?  Defenses are putting a safety over the top on Brown.  In turn, Brown is doing a lot of his damage in the mid range game.  The one time Brown got open deep, Allen over threw him.  The other times that I can recollect, there has been a safety there for help resulting in an pass break-up or INT.  Perhaps with the addition of Duke, Allen can start to throw some back shoulder throws along the sideline.  And when Foster comes back, perhaps we can get some safety relief giving either him or Brown some one on one opportunities.  

• Thank you (+1) 1

I think we are missing more consisten play. Sometimes we are stoping our own drives.

Opposite teams are dearing us to sustain long drives because last year we had a bunch of explosive plays. 

So we can´t afford to drop easy passes like Sweeny and Knox did yesterday. Those were drive killers. 

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Ramza86 said:

Without Singletary we do not have a viable option running the ball outside of Gore. That hurts.  Defenses know what's coming when Yeldon is in the game. One dimensional is a tough way to play.  

Offensive line consistency...tough to begin with when the (virtually) entire line is new. Doubly so now with injuries.

Drops.

QB who just started his 16th game.  He's learning.

OC who sometimes seems lost.

• Like (+1) 1

*  Chunk plays.  

*  Open targets.  Either the WRs can't get separation or Daboll isn't designing/calling the right plays.

*  Ball security/decision making.  Too many dumb picks by Allen.

*  Passpro.  Not consistent enough.

*  Holes for backs.  Not consistent enough.