Revisiting Beane's most subtly brilliant move as GM

cage

44 minutes ago, bigK14094 said:

Gonna cost some bucks to sign him for next year though......but, both the Bills and JP knew this was a prove it year for him.  He is proving it to me anyhow.

Next year is the one where they will redo Star's contract and have some more flex to retain #97.

Another note on the end of training camp trades - Wyatt Teller has recorded 0 offensive snaps so far for Browns.

27 minutes ago, MrEpsYtown said:

To me, long term, Bates is a center. He has very short arms and I don't think he has a chance to hold up long term at tackle. He did a great job filling in for an emergency situation, but I do think he would be exposed if he played there full time. I do like him though, and I could see him taking over for Morse in a couple of years. 

Opposite side of the ball, but I said the same thing about Oliver's arm length and I was wrong.

Feet and anticipation might overcome the 32 1/2". 

Worth a longer look, IMO.

54 minutes ago, Gugny said:

He was the QB on the team that went to the playoffs.  He didn't take that team anywhere.  Bills won 9 games in spite of him; not because of him.

He was an important cog in the team that went to the playoffs. He wasn't what we wanted for the future as his ceiling was basically just making the playoffs but he did contribute to getting us there. Josh Allen is our qb and has a cathedral ceiling compared to Tyrod's crawl space high ceiling. Our hopes are that Josh can take us to and win the SB but at this stage in their careers Tyrod would have won the game against NE that Josh lost. Don't blame Tyrod for the bad taste in you mouth when you talk about Roseanne Barr's charms in the same breath.

1 hour ago, MAJBobby said:

should over the Bye. Put Cody Ford at RG to stay. 

Nsekhe and Bates are RT

The "problem" is Feliciano has been play excellently. You don't put him on the bench for Ford. 

Our best 5 just doesn't include Ford right now, and that's not the worst problem to have. 

1 hour ago, Gugny said:

Hate?  I have nothing but love.  Love for Beane getting Tyrod the hell out of here and getting a 3rd round pick!  LOVE!!!!

We lost to the best team in football/defending Super Bowl champs.  Did Allen suck in that game?  Yes.  It was his 15th start and against the best defense in the NFL.

So, no ... I haven't explored that possibility.  Frankly, I'd rather explore Roseanne Barr's anus.

Quote of the decade Gugny - "I'd rather explore Roseanne Barr's anus!" You made a great point!

Keep in mind that all it takes is a loss or two and the "hate Mecbeane" crowd will return instantly!

2 hours ago, Artem Lipatov said:

Trade Kiko for Shady was a lucky move too.

But trade  1st round for climbing several spots up to get Sammy Watkins was a disaster. Evans (TB) and OBJ were on the same draft without trading up. And many thought that moveup  was for Khalil Mack, but no (( 

That move resulted in a broken tv during my draft party. ?

• Haha (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, vorpma said:

Quote of the decade Gugny - "I'd rather explore Roseanne Barr's anus!" You made a great point!

Keep in mind that all it takes is a loss or two and the "hate Mecbeane" crowd will return instantly!

Believe me.  They're just waiting for their boss to come up with a way to ruin yesterday's win ... just so they can all join in and say, "yeah ... what he said!!!"

Be patient.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, GG said:

Next year is the one where they will redo Star's contract and have some more flex to retain #97

That's the one contract that should make fans think twice about McBeane's personnel acumen.  Re-working Star's deal doesn't even seem likely given that he's playing 40% of the snaps and continues to regress. 

Their offensive pro and amateur scouting decisions leave a lot to be desired.  Not including the moves to get Allen, they've traded up 4 times to pick offensive players in 3 drafts.  Those players don't scream above average NFL types:  Z. Jones isn't going to be the guy McD thought, Dion Dawkins is probably an average LT who could use a move to RT, and Cody Ford is not looking like a NFL OT.  The other choice was Dawson Knox, who has made some plays and an ability to block, but it's real early in his career. 

They're going to need to draft better when offensive UFAs on 1-2 year deals aren't retained. Morse is here, barring injury, for that contract, but Spain, Feliciano, Nsekhe, Brown, Beasley, and Kroft, and Gore aren't on anything the team couldn't get out of after 1-2 seasons. 

Edited by BillsVet

Good post, 0P. After yesterday‘s game, I am most eager to see an analysis of how the OL actually accomplished what they did on our final drive; OMG I thought I was watching the Pats’* drive against us last year in the mirror. 

I heard Feliciano slid to C for Morse earlier, but who was where at the end and how’d they do individually (obviously including Bates)?   More importantly, do we have a chance of replicating that performance going forward?  Yowza...

oh btw, Eli Harold didn’t make the Eagles’ cut to 53, and remains a FA. ?

56 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

That's the one contract that should make fans think twice about McBeane's personnel acumen.  Re-working Star's deal doesn't even seem likely given that he's playing 40% of the snaps and continues to regress. 

Their offensive pro and amateur scouting decisions leave a lot to be desired.  Not including the moves to get Allen, they've traded up 4 times to pick offensive players in 3 drafts.  Those players don't scream above average NFL types:  Z. Jones isn't going to be the guy McD thought, Dion Dawkins is probably an average LT who could use a move to RT, and Cody Ford is not looking like a NFL OT.  The other choice was Dawson Knox, who has made some plays and an ability to block, but it's real early in his career. 

They're going to need to draft better when offensive UFAs on 1-2 year deals aren't retained. Morse is here, barring injury, for that contract, but Spain, Feliciano, Nsekhe, Brown, Beasley, and Kroft, and Gore aren't on anything the team couldn't get out of after 1-2 seasons. 

So not to get too technical but you're highlighting an issue involving college scouting of offense, which remains a concern under Beane.  Their pro personnel side has been much better, especially over the last year or so.  For whatever reason they have a tough time evaluating college prospects on offense, although if they end up hitting on Allen (arrow pointing up) it will weigh significantly and perhaps definitively in the "plus" column, obviously.

Edited by Coach Tuesday

3 hours ago, Limeaid said:

The trade for Cleveland's WR with little time to evaluate was very questionable.

Even the good GM's are not going to get them all right

3 hours ago, MAJBobby said:

should over the Bye. Put Cody Ford at RG to stay. 

Nsekhe and Bates are RT

I am at agreement with this....finally

I still think Cody Ford is a good player....but much like ou cant move Dawkins to RT I also do not think Cody is a RT in the nfl now....I do think he is a starting guard and we are going to be fine in the interior of our OL because of the depth moving Cody to OG creates

Bates is a swiss army knife....he might not be elite and any specific position but he looks like he is decent at 3 different positions.....the definition of "swing"

2 hours ago, Coach Tuesday said:

So not to get too technical but you're highlighting an issue involving college scouting of offense, which remains a concern under Beane.  Their pro personnel side has been much better, especially over the last year or so.  For whatever reason they have a tough time evaluating college prospects on offense, although if they end up hitting on Allen (arrow pointing up) it will weigh significantly and perhaps definitively in the "plus" column, obviously.

Yeah, Allen being the guy provides some draft credibility and at the minimum buys time to build around him. I contend offensive skill position decisions overall, pro and amateur, are otherwise unimpressive not including the 2019 draft class we haven't had time to properly evaluate.    

I'm really interested to see if they make a deal for an productive vet WR before the deadline.  It'll mean giving up draft picks, which every team typically wants to retain, but at this point Allen needs another receiver if this team is going to score better than the 18 points per they've recorded.  

• Like (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Artem Lipatov said:

I like Mr.Beane's style of molding of a team. A lot of good players with depth is bettter than few starts. Jets signed 2 stars this offseason (Bell and Mosely) and Jets are in the bottom now. Mr.Bin signed a bunch of decent, not star players. And we are in top. Even with injuries we are in game, because our players are interchangable. Jets lost to us in week 1 after 1 injury of Mosely. Star-dependent teams are more vulnerable.

Realistically, you draft or possibly trade for a "star".  FA you overpay.  Signing guys to prove it, team friendly deals is the best FA method.  I think Buffalo has really good depth.  Imo they are lacking 1 or 2 impact players.  This week I would consider making a move if I can add an impact player.  In the draft there is a difference from top 10 quality to top 20 plus.  The odds of landing an impact player is less.  I would go as far as offering a #1 for an impact player.  

9 hours ago, cage said:

While there are other more high profile moves, I'd like make a shout out to an under-the-radar move that shows how good Beane really is.  The trade for Ryan Bates.  

I can't recall another example of a team trading and established NFL player for an UDFA rookie and scoring the win in that trade.  Eli Harold was an established NFL player.  Not a star, but certainly established and still young.  He wasn't going to make the team and as players like Darryl Johnson were stepping up.  Beane not only pulled off the trading of an asset that was going to be cut, but targeted a rookie who nobody else knew.  Bates demonstrates his value, makes the team, offers position flexibility and yesterday was a key part of our 4th quarter victory.

I don't know what Bates will eventually turn into, but it kind of reminds me of when Polian snagged Steve Tasker, a guy nobody knew at the time, as Houston tried to sneak him through waivers to bring back from IR.

https://www.mcall.com/sports/eagles/mc-spt-eagles-column-saturday-moore-20190915-5nsoc6ujfzfkdj3r5442vus56u-story.html

Counterpoint:

9 hours ago, freddyjj said:

Good post OP.  

Teams that scout well keep their draft board ratings and UDFA wish lists to grab highly coveted players off waivers, in trades or in FA down the road. 

Realistically every single team does this. They all keep their boards and have rankings of PS players and FAs

Some teams just make more moves in the bottom half of rosters than others