Revisiting Beane's most subtly brilliant move as GM

cage

1 minute ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I know some will hate hearing this, but that's how the Patriots dynasty was built.  Get a franchise QB and build around him.  Beane has followed that philosophy, making sure he targeted the QB a year before he had the money to follow the Patriots model.  Meanwhile, the Jets decided to follow the Washington model instead of the New England one.  

We are on the same page, two posts apart. 

The Pats are a 20 year dynasty and have had one dynastic player, with only a few elite players along the way around him. 

Just now, Limeaid said:

The trade for Cleveland's WR with little time to evaluate was very questionable.

Still........ incredibly high rate of moves that the Bills "win" the trade. 

I remember watching the draft last year (when we drafted Allen and Edmunds) and thinking to myself that Beane is just incredible. It was masterful. Everything was thought out multiple steps ahead.

• Thank you (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, Albany,n.y. said:

I know some will hate hearing this, but that's how the Patriots dynasty was built.  Get a franchise QB and build around him.  Beane has followed that philosophy, making sure he targeted the QB a year before he had the money to follow the Patriots model.  Meanwhile, the Jets decided to follow the Washington model instead of the New England one.  

What exactly is wrong with the yugo model? 

1 hour ago, Sammyboy said:

I think revamping the entire scouting department isn’t recognized enough.

Agreed look at our 2019 draft 5 of the 7 players are contributing alot or starting.  Add in Duke with Bates and what a gell of an influx of young guys'

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Just now, Gugny said:

My vote will always be getting a third round pick for that piece of garbage we had at QB.

How about getting a draft pick for Marshall Newhouse? Or getting a pick for Russell freaking Bodine?

• Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, CLTbills said:

How about getting a draft pick for Marshall Newhouse? Or getting a pick for Russell freaking Bodine?

Those were great and he's done a lot of great things, IMO.  But getting Taylor out of Orchard Park made me giddy.  Getting a 3rd round pick for such a crappy QB was magical.  The moment I saw the alert pop up my phone was the happiest I've felt as a Bills fan in 20+ years.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Limeaid said:

The trade for Cleveland's WR with little time to evaluate was very questionable.

Trading a 7th for a former 1st rounder was a shot worth taking even with the unfortunate cap hit.  Amazing thing is a 7th usually is a throw out pick with less than a 10% hit rate & Beane looks like he hit a homerun with Darryl Johnson and then came back up to bat and got at least a base hit with Tommy Sweeney.  

• Like (+1) 4

Just now, Albany,n.y. said:

Trading a 7th for a former 1st rounder was a shot worth taking even with the unfortunate cap hit.  Amazing thing is a 7th usually is a throw out pick with less than a 10% hit rate & Beane looks like he hit a homerun with Darryl Johnson and then came back up to bat and got at least a base hit with Tommy Sweeney.  

Has Gungy hacked your account with the boreball references?

Yup, the Bates trade was very good, I asked the group in another thread if anyone knew if he could play RT, no one answered, well, Beane answered and I / we were not paying attention, the answer was YES he can.  I really like this teams HC and GM, they know what they’re doing. And they know why they’re doing it.

Go Bills!!!

It's the Jon Feliciano signing. Now I know he is a Bobby Johnson guy, but his signing changed a lot in my view. He was not on anyone's radar and I don't think anyone thought he was really going to start, but that guy has been the glue that brings an attitude adjustment to the offensive line. He's nasty, but he's good to, plus he's versatile. He's my unsung, under the radar big time move.  

Edited by MrEpsYtown
  • Like (+1) 4

11 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

We are on the same page, two posts apart. 

The Pats are a 20 year dynasty and have had one dynastic player, with only a few elite players along the way around him. 

I noticed your post after I posted mine.  It looks like we both thought the same thing at the same time & I type very slowly, so you beat me to the board.  

1 minute ago, dneveu said:

Remember when he traded tyrod... and his bonus... and his bloated contract... for the 1st pick of the 3rd round?  

Yup all these trades where he got something for nothing and if he gets something for Zay we need to build it ;)

21 minutes ago, MAJBobby said:

when Bates went in I specifically wanted to watch him. I it is said he can play every position on the OL. But he did play very well at RT once he went in. I think he is more ready to play RT than Ford is at this point. 

He played better than Ford or Ty Nsekhe have played at that spot. 

17 minutes ago, Azucho98 said:

Picking up Jordan Phillips turned out to be a great move too.  

Gonna cost some bucks to sign him for next year though......but, both the Bills and JP knew this was a prove it year for him.  He is proving it to me anyhow.