Revisiting Beane's most subtly brilliant move as GM

cage

While there are other more high profile moves, I'd like make a shout out to an under-the-radar move that shows how good Beane really is.  The trade for Ryan Bates.  

I can't recall another example of a team trading and established NFL player for an UDFA rookie and scoring the win in that trade.  Eli Harold was an established NFL player.  Not a star, but certainly established and still young.  He wasn't going to make the team and as players like Darryl Johnson were stepping up.  Beane not only pulled off the trading of an asset that was going to be cut, but targeted a rookie who nobody else knew.  Bates demonstrates his value, makes the team, offers position flexibility and yesterday was a key part of our 4th quarter victory.

I don't know what Bates will eventually turn into, but it kind of reminds me of when Polian snagged Steve Tasker, a guy nobody knew at the time, as Houston tried to sneak him through waivers to bring back from IR.

https://www.mcall.com/sports/eagles/mc-spt-eagles-column-saturday-moore-20190915-5nsoc6ujfzfkdj3r5442vus56u-story.html

• Like (+1) 27
  • Awesome! (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Bates played extremely well in the preseason and was being lauded for the way he was practicing.  The guy is extremely versatile which is something that Bills brass values and has a shot at eventually starting somewhere on the line.

6 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

Beane has been excellent. Hitting on high picks and also late rounders. Ford needs to go to guard and Zay traded to be A+

Trust the Process.  these guys know what they are doing. 

Character guys who can play.  Screw ups need not apply. 

• Like (+1) 3
  • Thank you (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

Beane has been excellent. Hitting on high picks and also late rounders. Ford needs to go to guard and Zay traded to be A+

Zay has zero trade value if Beane gets anything back we need to build a statue next to Ralphs this year ;)

• Like (+1) 3
  • Haha (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I like Mr.Beane's style of molding of a team. A lot of good players with depth is bettter than few starts. Jets signed 2 stars this offseason (Bell and Mosely) and Jets are in the bottom now. Mr.Bin signed a bunch of decent, not star players. And we are in top. Even with injuries we are in game, because our players are interchangable. Jets lost to us in week 1 after 1 injury of Mosely. Star-dependent teams are more vulnerable.

• Like (+1) 8

46 minutes ago, JMF2006 said:

Zay has zero trade value if Beane gets anything back we need to build a statue next to Ralphs this year ;)

he got something for Bodine who was about to be cut (and now a FA) so start building that statue.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

1 hour ago, cage said:

While there are other more high profile moves, I'd like make a shout out to an under-the-radar move that shows how good Beane really is.  The trade for Ryan Bates.  

I can't recall another example of a team trading and established NFL player for an UDFA rookie and scoring the win in that trade.  Eli Harold was an established NFL player.  Not a star, but certainly established and still young.  He wasn't going to make the team and as players like Darryl Johnson were stepping up.  Beane not only pulled off the trading of an asset that was going to be cut, but targeted a rookie who nobody else knew.  Bates demonstrates his value, makes the team, offers position flexibility and yesterday was a key part of our 4th quarter victory.

I don't know what Bates will eventually turn into, but it kind of reminds me of when Polian snagged Steve Tasker, a guy nobody knew at the time, as Houston tried to sneak him through waivers to bring back from IR.

https://www.mcall.com/sports/eagles/mc-spt-eagles-column-saturday-moore-20190915-5nsoc6ujfzfkdj3r5442vus56u-story.html

when Bates went in I specifically wanted to watch him. I it is said he can play every position on the OL. But he did play very well at RT once he went in. I think he is more ready to play RT than Ford is at this point. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

The last time the Bills got a player for a player that appeared to be each team dumping a guy neither team wanted and it worked out was the Jerry Hughes trade.  It was about the only significant thing that the Nix/Whaley team did right with long term success.  

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

Going to have some misses, because that always happens, but the Bills are being built a lot like the Patriots. Lots of short contracts, lots of good players. Almost no one elite or irreplaceable. 

If they keep the coaching in place, the system will not be changing every 2 years and all the cohesion will build a winner. I love what Beane is building with players and contracts, and McD is building with team culture. This team may not be quite ready to make the jump to the playoffs because the offense is still in progress but the foundations are laid.  

Edited by Sundancer
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I've stated this a couple times.... But I will never again question a move that Beane makes. He has made so many head-scratching (at the time) decisions that turn out to be brilliant. The ONLY move that I can say was a total bust was the trade for Benjamin. But if that's one out of twenty that didn't work, that's a pretty sporty percentage of success.

• Like (+1) 3

3 minutes ago, Artem Lipatov said:

I like Mr.Beane's style of molding of a team. A lot of good players with depth is bettter than few starts. Jets signed 2 stars this offseason (Bell and Mosely) and Jets are in the bottom now. Mr.Bin signed a bunch of decent, not star players. And we are in top. Even with injuries we are in game, because our players are interchangable. Jets lost to us in week 1 after 1 injury of Mosely. Star-dependent teams are more vulnerable.

I know some will hate hearing this, but that's how the Patriots dynasty was built.  Get a franchise QB and build around him.  Beane has followed that philosophy, making sure he targeted the QB a year before he had the money to follow the Patriots model.  Meanwhile, the Jets decided to follow the Washington model instead of the New England one.  

• Like (+1) 4

1 hour ago, Magox said:

Bates played extremely well in the preseason and was being lauded for the way he was practicing.  The guy is extremely versatile which is something that Bills brass values and has a shot at eventually starting somewhere on the line.

I wonder if he is versatile enough to play long snapper?  The Bills do need a backup in case Reid Ferguson gets hurt....

Beane has been wonderful in his approach. Methodical and building the team together with input from coaches and staff. 

Quality depth is the difference. Bates seems to be that. 

This front office has a book on everyone in the league and professionals for that matter(Duke). Beane’s staff doesn’t forget about a player because he ends up someplace else. Seems like they are constantly looking at ways to add players they have always liked but couldn’t get for some reason initially. 

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, CLTbills said:

I've stated this a couple times.... But I will never again question a move that Beane makes. He has made so many head-scratching (at the time) decisions that turn out to be brilliant. The ONLY move that I can say was a total bust was the trade for Benjamin. But if that's one out of twenty that didn't work, that's a pretty sporty percentage of success.

The trade for Cleveland's WR with little time to evaluate was very questionable.