Did Vrabel address his decision to kick the 53 yarder on 4th and 4?

YoloinOhio

“I have confidence in him,” was Vrabel’s explanation.

“I felt like the way the defense was playing, to be able to win the game, we’d get the ball back and score a touchdown to win it.”

My question:

"What had your offense done up to that point against our defense that gave you confidence you would score another TD?"

Edited by matter2003
  • Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

“I have confidence in him,” was Vrabel’s explanation.

“I felt like the way the defense was playing, to be able to win the game, we’d get the ball back and score a touchdown to win it.”

My question:

"What had your offense done up to that point against our defense that gave you confidence you would score another TD?"

And, if he did, in fact, have that much confidence his offense could score a TD, then why not leave them on the field to, you know, score a TD?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

This is an easy one.  He had zero confidence in his offense to move the ball down the field.  Against our defense, they were struggling to get 1st downs.  Did he make the right call?  I actually think so.  He knew his chances of getting a 1st down was slim, so he took the chance of just putting points on the board with plenty of time left on the clock.  Titans defense was playing pretty well all game as well.  He trusts his defense more than his offense, so his logic was that his defense would be able to stop us with his offense having enough time for one last drive to either win (if they made the FG) or tie the game and send it to OT.  But of course our offense prevailed and didn't give them that chance.  In a close defensive battle, he would've gotten ridiculed no matter what decision he made.

7 minutes ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

This is an easy one.  He had zero confidence in his offense to move the ball down the field.  Against our defense, they were struggling to get 1st downs.  Did he make the right call?  I actually think so.  He knew his chances of getting a 1st down was slim, so he took the chance of just putting points on the board with plenty of time left on the clock.  Titans defense was playing pretty well all game as well.  He trusts his defense more than his offense, so his logic was that his defense would be able to stop us with his offense having enough time for one last drive to either win (if they made the FG) or tie the game and send it to OT.  But of course our offense prevailed and didn't give them that chance.  In a close defensive battle, he would've gotten ridiculed no matter what decision he made.

Except his defense pulled a 2012 Bills move where they mostly held teams in check all day until the game was on the line and then they allowed 3 straight first down runs to basically let the other team ice the game and never get the ball back.

He would have gotten far less ridicule by trying to tie the game late in the 4th quarter instead of:

1) Trying to kick a FG which still leaves them needing a TD with not that much time on the clock

2) Letting a kicker who has already missed 3 FG's try a long FG that gives the Bills great field position if he misses again

3) Thinking they are going to drive the entire length of the field against the Bills D and score a TD if they get the ball back -- something they had not done all day long. Their only points came on a short field after the INT when they started at the Bills 38 yard line.

Edited by matter2003

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, that was a very very puzzling call.

I thought, in the weather conditions, the initial 50 yd or whatever it was was also a questionable call.

Rain saturated natural grass, raining at the time of the kick... he had the leg for it too, just tough out there.  4th and a long 4 is tough though, especially with how many drops and just poorly located passes they had all game long.

4 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Except his defense pulled a 2012 Bills move where they mostly held teams in check all day until the game was on the line and then they allowed 3 straight first down runs to basically let the other team ice the game and never get the ball back.

He would have gotten far less ridicule by trying to tie the game late in the 4th quarter instead of:

1) Trying to kick a FG which still leaves them needing a TD with not that much time on the clock

2) Letting a kicker who has already missed 3 FG's try a long FG that gives the Bills great field position if he misses again

3) Thinking they are going to drive the entire length of the field against the Bills D and score a TD if they get the ball back -- something they had not done all day long. Their only points came on a short field after the INT when they started at the Bills 38 yard line.

Yeah - sometimes that 2 minute defense is a teams Achilles heel though.  They play off, give up tons of free yards and get you in position to have a couple shots inside 25 yards.  

You make the FG and kick off... you force the 3 and out and its about 2 minutes left and you have the ball at the 40.  

1 hour ago, YoloinOhio said:

If it was just a regular FG, like where your kicker hadn’t already missed 3 (one blocked) and it wasn’t 50+  I could see that but 

One was blocked? I thought none of them were blocked. There was that weird one that was short but on the broadcast in slow motion it didn't appear to be blocked.

1 hour ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

He looks and sounds like a total meathead. And, based on what Yolo has said about him actually being one, I'm completely convinced now.

I know a guy whose kid played in the same soccer league as his kid. He used to constantly berate the refs, coaches and kids. F bombs, etc. an obnoxious a-hole. Youth soccer, folks. 

He threw a ceramic coffee cup at the head of an offensive assistant during a meeting at Ohio state 

threatened to physically assault urban Meyer because he said he treated his buddy Luke  Fickell like *****

bar fights galore in college 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, MJS said:

One was blocked? I thought none of them were blocked. There was that weird one that was short but on the broadcast in slow motion it didn't appear to be blocked.

They call it blocked on NFL.com.  Maybe it can be shown better on all-22 but the Bills are certainly trying to block it and it appears the ball is kicked where Ed Oliver (I think) gets a hand on it.  It's more convincing on the film than in any screen grab I can pull.  You can see the guy's foot hit the ball and follow through right towards Oliver's outstretched fingers.

image.thumb.png.112149b40480bbeb282b2d2632d1f5cf.png

25 minutes ago, dneveu said:

Rain saturated natural grass, raining at the time of the kick... he had the leg for it too, just tough out there.  4th and a long 4 is tough though, especially with how many drops and just poorly located passes they had all game long.

Yeah - sometimes that 2 minute defense is a teams Achilles heel though.  They play off, give up tons of free yards and get you in position to have a couple shots inside 25 yards.  

You make the FG and kick off... you force the 3 and out and its about 2 minutes left and you have the ball at the 40.  

So in your POV, they were playing to win by kicking a long field goal after having 3 fail?

A bit strange...I mean, a forced 3 and out and a TD is part of your scenario for them anyway. 

So why go for the low percentage thing that's even lower for you That Given Sunday?

1 hour ago, Chandemonium said:

I think it was a bad choice, but I suppose you could justify it because you still need a touchdown either way, but without the 3 points you need a TD to tie and with the 3 points you need a TD to win. 

There was 7 mins left in the game....

Punt the ball and let you defense make a stop. 53 yard FG there after a bad kicking day was a horrible call. A 40 yard FG sure.

That call flopped field position, not in their favor.

12 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

They call it blocked on NFL.com.  Maybe it can be shown better on all-22 but the Bills are certainly trying to block it and it appears the ball is kicked where Ed Oliver (I think) gets a hand on it.  It's more convincing on the film than in any screen grab I can pull.  You can see the guy's foot hit the ball and follow through right towards Oliver's outstretched fingers.

image.thumb.png.112149b40480bbeb282b2d2632d1f5cf.png

So in your POV, they were playing to win by kicking a long field goal after having 3 fail?

A bit strange...I mean, a forced 3 and out and a TD is part of your scenario for them anyway. 

So why go for the low percentage thing that's even lower for you That Given Sunday?

I'm grasping at straws tbh... just trying to get the thought process.

I 100% believe that call was a fireable offense. I guess it's still early enough in the season, but that was inexcusable.

If he were the Bills HC I would have lost my mind at that call. I would certainly want him to be gone and Id wager a good portion of this board would feel the same way.

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Circlethewagon8404 said:

Together, that makes a grand total of zero sense. If he didn't have confidence in his team getting 5 yards on fourth. Where is this confidence in them to go the length of the field to win?

It was a muttonhead decision from a muttonhead. 

I thought because of the previous misses that this kick was going to be a gadget play of some sort but i'm glad it wasn't !!

Those misses helped in the Bills win & McD needs to pull back his ego on the 4th down go for it plays that missed 4th down play where they could have had 3 points instead could have been the difference if their guy would have made a couple of those kicks !!

I get having confidence in your offense but don't get to cocky put the points on the board when given the chance !!