Did Vrabel address his decision to kick the 53 yarder on 4th and 4?

YoloinOhio

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

The theory is that vrabel did it so he could blame the loss on the kicker 

I was actually thinking that also. 

Even if he makes it they still need a TD. Makes no sense. 

• Like (+1) 2

48 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

i haven’t seen where he was asked about it. It’s one of the worst calls I’ve ever seen. Does anyone have a valid reason as to why he made that decision? 

Btw Santos missed 3 FGs before that. 1 was blocked. 

Yeah, that was a very very puzzling call.

I thought, in the weather conditions, the initial 50 yd or whatever it was was also a questionable call.

• Like (+1) 1

I thought about this during the game, and while I do not believe that he thought this deeply, there is a level of logic in letting this guy kick the field goal.  They were down by 7, knowing that they needed a TD and an Extra Point to tie, the kicker had the potential of being on the field to tie the score at the end of the game to send it to OT.  Even if he missed the field goal, there was a chance that they could still score a TD and you would need the kicker to tie it up.  Maybe he wanted to let him "get right" on a FG, instead of on the necessary extra point.  I dunno.  Just a thought.

1 minute ago, Cheektowaga Chad said:

I took it as vrabel conceding the game but gave santos an opportunity to save his job. Like make it you keep your job miss you're gonna be cut

Very strange not to go for it

I can’t even imagine conceding the game at that point, down 7 with what, over 3 min to go. I am sure he didn’t trust his offense to get the 1st down but you have Derrick Henry for a reason and only need 4 yards and sure as hell cant trust the kicker at that point eith the length of the FG, wind, field conditions. Baffling. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Chandemonium said:

I think it was a bad choice, but I suppose you could justify it because you still need a touchdown either way, but without the 3 points you need a TD to tie and with the 3 points you need a TD to win. 

If it was just a regular FG, like where your kicker hadn’t already missed 3 (one blocked) and it wasn’t 50+  I could see that but 

• Like (+1) 1

Yep. Even if his kicker hadn't missed 3 it was the wrong call. They needed a touchdown.... in order of likelyhood to get that:

1. Go for it and convert 4th down

2. Punt and pin the Bills inside their own 10 giving you field position advantage

3. Kick the FG 

• Like (+1) 1

Take Santos’ bad day out of it.

They needed a TD before they kicked the field goal, and even if Santos made the field goal they would still need, wait for it..... a TD.  

Horrible call.  His brain just nutted up there on the sideline.  The Titans were across midfield, time was running out, it was 4th and 4, not 4th and 20.  The only play there was to try to get a 1st down and continue the drive for a TD. Three points did nothing for them there.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, BillsShredder83 said:

My gf is from Canada, first year watching football before and she said the same damn thing to me. 'Whatd he miss from like 35'ish a few times? Why wouldn't they go for it?'

I couldn't believe it either... but I was happy they tried to kick it because I knew there was no chance he makes it. Not that Santos is a bad kicker... but his psyche was f***ed at that point.