An old mans’ views on the team.

Mafia: Simply amazing! From Jersey to Nashvegas, I’ll put US against every team for Road support. Thanks to All who are making the journeys! The team hasn’t let you down either!

McDermott & Allen: Sean is just 1 game over .500 as HC at 19-18. Seems like it should be better but it speaks to still so much to do. Josh didn’t add a notch in his 4th quarter comeback belt, but he engineered the 4th quarter winning TD and game clinching drive. For all the grief Allen takes here DESPITE everyone knowing his back story of uncoached ball, he’s improving significantly on every aspects we nit-picked to death during the off-season. The playoffs seem a very real possibility and he’s just 16 starts in. I’m hooked. He’s our Guy. Much has been written about our 3rd Quarter woes. 40% of opponents scores, Turnovers & Defensive lapses. Here’s why the ‘Why?’. We’re good. We play well in the 1st Half’s. Yes, 4 T/Os @ Jets, but we were driving every time. We go into halftime and it’s ‘just keep doing what we’re doing. We’re playing well and following our script. Keep it up!’ Our opponents are saying ‘we gotta change this up and that up! We’ll start blitzing more. They’re beating us off tackle so let’s slide our DTs out a bit more, etc.’ THEY’RE the ones changing things while we’re ‘running it til they stop it’. Then we react to their changes and regain the overall upper hand in the 4th and win- because that’s what we planned to do. The difference is simply that we’re Good! 

RBs: We have Frank Gore.

Singletary & Yeldon are nice pieces. It seems we’re lacking something from this group, but we regularly go Empty, so maybe I’m wrong. This isn’t my old offense. (Not my Dads offense, just my old offenses).

Tight Ends: Not since McKeller/Metzellars have we had this level of quality. But they’re a work in progress and likely will be for the foreseeable future. The ‘in the hands’ drops by the rookies are both frustrating & alarming for all they bring and Lee Smith is a penalty machine. They are effective blockers though.

OL: Athletic with a mean streak. We haven’t seen enough of them playing the same positions to accurately assess their net value, but the plug & play frenzy is working despite the nonformulaic pretense. Rookies & savvy vets, Guards are Tackles, Tackles are Centers. Dogs sleeping with cats. I don’t recall any team knowingly implementing such a philosophy, let alone pulling it off. It’s amazing, really. Injuries are starting to mount and seems likely to be a season long challenge. So nonformulaic it is.

DL: 2 more Rookies blending in well with proven -if unspectacular vets across the line. Schooled and disciplined, they simply aren’t ever out of position and occasionally pull a Jordan Phillips. Belichick is right. No mistakes, sure tacklers.

LBs & DBs: Milano & Edmunds are simply fantastic football players. Poyer & Hyde are simply fantastic football players. Tre White & Levi are fantastic and everyone else is contributing well. Yes, much of their play can be attributed to them being perfect pieces in a well defined scheme. But it’s these people specifically and their desire to be Great that makes them fantastic fits. They are.

STs: Penalties are down but not gone. The punter is simply bad. Kick coverage is solid if unspectacular and Hausch$$ is enjoying a year off with pay so far. With the exception of the blocked punt, they’ve been nondescript. No trick plays?? I’m hoping for more.

Injuries: They are piling up. Yes, the Bye helps but there’s 11 more regular season games to play and likely another 1 or 3 afterward. Our rare depth has been exceptional, but it’s not an endless supply. Ankles & hamstrings seem to prevail and they nag the whole season long. It won’t be long before street FAs show up at OBD and their play show up on Sundays. Not complaining. Every team must deal with it. Just unsettling..

• Like (+1) 26
  • Awesome! (+1) 8
  • Thank you (+1) 9

Yuuup. Happy Birthday, and its good to see your mind is not getting old. ?

One area I would disagree with is Bojo. He's taken a lot of grief here, and after the preseason he had, I understand why. But, the blocked punt was not on him, and beyond that, he's done pretty well. As a matter of fact, I thought he had his best game of the season yesterday. He's coming along, and (channeling my inner Doug Marrone), obviously, if the Bills thought there was a better option out there, they would have signed him when they were looking in week one, obviously.

Anyhow, your point is well-taken, "we're good!" Let's enjoy the ride. If the Offense can get any where near the Defense, we'll be really good!

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Haha (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Bojo did have his best game yesterday but overall he has still been below par. He simply doesn't kick it high enough and it hurts our coverage teams. 

Plus he doesn’t pooch/keep the ball in play on short punts

• Like (+1) 2

1 hour ago, Chandler#81 said:

Plus he doesn’t pooch/keep the ball in play on short punts

I wonder if he just can't master the "aussie kick" he keeps trying. Maybe he should go back to the old days and try to kick it out of bounds instead.

• Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Chandler#81 said:

Mafia: Simply amazing! From Jersey to Nashvegas, I’ll put US against every team for Road support. Thanks to All who are making the journeys! The team hasn’t let you down either!

McDermott & Allen: Sean is just 1 game over .500 as HC at 19-18. Seems like it should be better but it speaks to still so much to do. Josh didn’t add a notch in his 4th quarter comeback belt, but he engineered the 4th quarter winning TD and game clinching drive. For all the grief Allen takes here DESPITE everyone knowing his back story of uncoached ball, he’s improving significantly on every aspects we nit-picked to death during the off-season. The playoffs seem a very real possibility and he’s just 18 starts in. I’m hooked. He’s our Guy. Much has been written about our 3rd Quarter woes. 40% of opponents scores, Turnovers & Defensive lapses. Here’s why the ‘Why?’. We’re good. We play well in the 1st Half’s. Yes, 4 T/Os @ Jets, but we were driving every time. We go into halftime and it’s ‘just keep doing what we’re doing. We’re playing well and following our script. Keep it up!’ Our opponents are saying ‘we gotta change this up and that up! We’ll start blitzing more. They’re beating us off tackle so let’s slide our DTs out a bit more, etc.’ THEY’RE the ones changing things while we’re ‘running it til they stop it’. Then we react to their changes and regain the overall upper hand in the 4th and win- because that’s what we planned to do. The difference is simply that we’re Good! 

RBs: We have Frank Gore.

Singletary & Yeldon are nice pieces. It seems we’re lacking something from this group, but we regularly go Empty, so maybe I’m wrong. This isn’t my old offense. (Not my Dads offense, just my old offenses).

Tight Ends: Not since McKeller/Metzellars have we had this level of quality. But they’re a work in progress and likely will be for the foreseeable future. The ‘in the hands’ drops by the rookies are both frustrating & alarming for all they bring and Lee Smith is a penalty machine. They are effective blockers though.

OL: Athletic with a mean streak. We haven’t seen enough of them playing the same positions to accurately assess their net value, but the plug & play frenzy is working despite the nonformulaic pretense. Rookies & savvy vets, Guards are Tackles, Tackles are Centers. Dogs sleeping with cats. I don’t recall any team knowingly implementing such a philosophy, let alone pulling it off. It’s amazing, really. Injuries are starting to mount and seems likely to be a season long challenge. So nonformulaic it is.

DL: 2 more Rookies blending in well with proven -if unspectacular vets across the line. Schooled and disciplined, they simply aren’t ever out of position and occasionally pull a Jordan Phillips. Belichick is right. No mistakes, sure tacklers.

LBs & DBs: Milano & Edmunds are simply fantastic football players. Poyer & Hyde are simply fantastic football players. Tre White & Levi are fantastic and everyone else is contributing well. Yes, much of their play can be attributed to them being perfect pieces in a well defined scheme. But it’s these people specifically and their desire to be Great that makes them fantastic fits. They are.

STs: Penalties are down but not gone. The punter is simply bad. Kick coverage is solid if unspectacular and Hausch$$ is enjoying a year off with pay so far. With the exception of the blocked punt, they’ve been nondescript. No trick plays?? I’m hoping for more.

Injuries: They are piling up. Yes, the Bye helps but there’s 11 more regular season games to play and likely another 1 or 3 afterward. Our rare depth has been exceptional, but it’s not an endless supply. Ankles & hamstrings seem to prevail and they nag the whole season long. It won’t be long before street FAs show up at OBD and their play show up on Sundays. Not complaining. Every team must deal with it. Just unsettling..

Wow, one of the BEST write ups i have read here in a looonnngg time, thank you!???

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

I love where this team is headed, from the front office, to the coaching, to our QB, etc.  There is so much room for growth from all those perspectives, yet, there they are: a 4-1 team going into the bye - a good team - a playoff caliber team - one that I believe they will only continue to get better.

Enjoying my coffee this morning with a big smile on my face.

Good post and Happy Birthday @Chandler#81 from another old man!

• Thank you (+1) 1

48 minutes ago, Captain Tucker said:

I agree, I have not had as much fun watching the Bills since the 90's. When we thought the Bills could win every game!

I plan to drink a beer and enjoy the games. 

I'm 29 years old. The last time the Bills were this legitimately good, I was nine. I was nine years old for the Music City Miracle, which was the last Bills team that was remotely this good. 

Just enjoying the ride.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Bojo did have his best game yesterday but overall he has still been below par. He simply doesn't kick it high enough and it hurts our coverage teams. 

Why can't he angle a punt out of bounds?

Another touchback punting from around the 50.

This guy is a weak link. 

• Like (+1) 3

2 hours ago, CSBill said:

Yuuup. Happy Birthday, and its good to see your mind is not getting old. ?

One area I would disagree with is Bojo. He's taken a lot of grief here, and after the preseason he had, I understand why. But, the blocked punt was not on him, and beyond that, he's done pretty well. As a matter of fact, I thought he had his best game of the season yesterday. He's coming along, and (channeling my inner Doug Marrone), obviously, if the Bills thought there was a better option out there, they would have signed him when they were looking in week one, obviously.

Anyhow, your point is well-taken, "we're good!" Let's enjoy the ride. If the Offense can get any where near the Defense, we'll be really good!

Bojo is 28th in average, dead last in net at only 34.2 per punt(In last by 3.2 yards) and that's with having a really good game yesterday. The only time he gets a good punt off is when we're near midfield and he kicks it in the endzone. We desperately need a new punter. 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, D. L. Hot-Flamethrower said:

Nice! Very feel good and IMO, spot on takes.

One of the things that isn't discussed about this team very often, is as you mentioned, they have more upside......they haven't maxed out and they look to be the third best team in the AFC so Far!

Absolutely. They don't just have upside, this team(Especially on offense and special teams) can get a whole lot better by the time the playoffs near.

• Like (+1) 2