NFL get rid of instant replay

I think they should be using a lot more technology to make clear decisions instead of relying on a ref's opinion.    They could have sensors in uniforms and gloves and jerseys that easily detect when contact is made and where it is made - and also the amount of force made during that contact.      An algorithm could then instantly determine if there was legit interference.  You could allow for light contact that is within .5 seconds of the ball arriving to the receiver and also allow contact that is below a minimal level of force. This would allow the game to proceed at full pace only being interrupted when a call is legit.   

Every single player would then be subject to the same algorithm every game instead of worrying about biased referees.

They could also place sensors inside the footballs and on the fields to determine exact spots instead of making it a guessing game.

This technology is already available and could be implemented.   The costs would be substantial, but affordable in the grand scheme of this multi-billion dollar sport.

2 hours ago, PolishDave said:

I think they should be using a lot more technology to make clear decisions instead of relying on a ref's opinion.    They could have sensors in uniforms and gloves and jerseys that easily detect when contact is made and where it is made - and also the amount of force made during that contact.      An algorithm could then instantly determine if there was legit interference.  You could allow for light contact that is within .5 seconds of the ball arriving to the receiver and also allow contact that is below a minimal level of force. This would allow the game to proceed at full pace only being interrupted when a call is legit.   

Every single player would then be subject to the same algorithm every game instead of worrying about biased referees.

They could also place sensors inside the footballs and on the fields to determine exact spots instead of making it a guessing game.

This technology is already available and could be implemented.   The costs would be substantial, but affordable in the grand scheme of this multi-billion dollar sport.

All this tech would just lead to more issues.  If the contact is holding the force might be negative.  It could be contact from someone going up to make a play.  The contact could be initiated by the offensive player.  You are still subject 100% to someone having to look and then try to interpret the data.

Sensors on the field and in the ball - you still have to determine down by contact or when events occurred.  Looking at force - for example is a player down - well if the player is not hitting the ground - you might mis-spot the ball especially near the goal line. The sensors in the ball also need to look in regards to balls shape and how it is being held.

There are limited things where the tech could help, but you are asking for more stoppages to look at the data and even worse a flag coming out 20 seconds after a play as the other team is getting ready to snap the next play.  You think it is bad now - the conspiracy theories will go through the roof as a questionable play is suddenly flagged because of questionable tech data - that is not verifiable by the home audience or the people in the stadium.

6 hours ago, TigerJ said:

The most irritating thing to me is the results of making pass interference or the lack thereof and challengeable issue.  The results?  Multiple obvious bad calls across the league that are not overturned.   It is in essence Al Riveron giving the league the finger for questioning the competence of officials in the first place by making pass interference something that can be challenged.  Riveron needs to be fired and the league needs to find somebody to fill that position who has at least a shred of integrity.

Riveron is definitely not making the proper calls and it can only be out of spite.

Even John Murphy was saying how bad officiating has become and is ruining the game.

• Like (+1) 1

No more part time zebras, this good ole rich boys club crap has got to go. Refs must be full time employees, must go to some kind of refs school for a year, and even after that a demerit system must be in place for egregious bad/non calls. Most important they must never be allowed to mingle with team owners, players, or team employees, ever! 

Now that i’ve Got that out of my system, I’m gonna have a beer ? 

Go Bills!!!

• Thank you (+1) 1

A few years ago, I did the Zebra Report, where I went through the game tape and analyzed the official's calls, as impartially as possible.  When the Bills got away with one, I said so, as well as called out the refs when we got screwed.  I gave up after a season because the one thing I found was how poorly the refs did their jobs week to week.  I expect poor officiating.  Replay is there to overturn the egregious bad calls, but unfortunately, Al Riveron is in charge of it.  If Mike Pereira or anyone else with a brain was in charge, then replay would be working.  Don't get rid of replay, get rid of Riveron. Hopefully one day Riveron will be replaced, and the NFL replay system will finally pay dividends.

Edited by Freddie's Dead
  • Thank you (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Freddie's Dead said:

A few years ago, I did the Zebra Report, where I went through the game tape and analyzed the official's calls, as impartially as possible.  When the Bills got away with one, I said so, as well as called out the refs when we got screwed.  I gave up after a season because the one thing I found was how poorly the refs did their jobs week to week.  I expect poor officiating.  Replay is there to overturn the egregious bad calls, but unfortunately, Al Riveron is in charge of it.  If Mike Pereira or anyone else with a brain was in charge, then replay would be working.  Don't get rid of replay, get rid of Riveron. Hopefully one day Riveron will be replaced, and the NFL replay system will finally pay dividends.

Got to do something, this is getting out of hand.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/7/2019 at 8:32 AM, Mrbojanglezs said:

NFL needs to take away slow motion replay then everyone is seeing everything at the same speed as the refs

Exactly. Real speed reviews...if you can't overturn in real speed then the evidence isn't incontrovertible.

5 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Another stellar night by the officials, calling Trey Flowers for hands to the face, twice, even though he was pushing the shoulder, good job guys, now get some glasses.

Cost Detroit the game. Just terrible.

Edited by Steve O
  • Like (+1) 2

15 hours ago, Don Otreply said:

No more part time zebras, this good ole rich boys club crap has got to go. Refs must be full time employees, must go to some kind of refs school for a year, and even after that a demerit system must be in place for egregious bad/non calls. Most important they must never be allowed to mingle with team owners, players, or team employees, ever! 

Now that i’ve Got that out of my system, I’m gonna have a beer ? 

Go Bills!!!

Problem is, how do you implement this? They are only part time because football is part time. What do they do the other 6 months out of the year that football isn’t being played? There is only so much game tape they could review. They make 180K a year, it’s not like they can’t afford to be full time. 

7 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Exactly. Real speed reviews...if you can't overturn in real speed then the evidence is incontrovertible.

Cost Detroit the game. Just terrible.

The real speed review makes so much sense. Replay (supposedly) corrects egregious and obviously incorrect calls. If you have to look at it frame by frame for 10 minutes to see if a blade of grass contacts someone’s knee, it is no longer in the spirit of review. 

• Like (+1) 2

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Another stellar night by the officials, calling Trey Flowers for hands to the face, twice, even though he was pushing the shoulder, good job guys, now get some glasses.

...ticky tack crap is worse than the NBA....gave that up years ago.......

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy
  • Like (+1) 1

I like Gu's idea of viewing everything at real speed so that wouldn't actually eliminate instant reply. What real speed would do is allow judgement minus the dissection.

Another idea that has been mentioned in the past If I remember correctly. If an infraction/s does not impede the result of a play, don't enforce it.

After reading numerous threads on various rule changes, the games themselves, the outcomes. Its become abundantly clear, flow of the game from an entertainment perspective is vital to the quality of the product.

Edited by Figster
  • Like (+1) 1

i've gathered that about 80% of football fans watch just to find something to complain about and chew that cud the whole game and many hours away from it

they have tried to perfect the game but it's impossible to do it, even with camera angles and displays

so let it go and enjoy the game, it's a lot more fun when my teams are winning

On 10/7/2019 at 3:22 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

With offcials apparently unable to see what the rest of us see i think its time to get rid of instant replay. I have been in favor of it but since its return officials have been hesitant to make the calls and so have become worse at making the proper call because they are waiting for the camera to do their job.

Get the refs properly trained and not over anxious to throw flags and let the games be played by people and called by people.

Or maybe we should get rid of the refs and let drones do it.

Dead wrong. No. Terrible idea. Replay is about the only sliver of accountability these crappy refs have now. 

Nope. Just the opposite. Make everything reviewable. The game is too fast for the officials. 

Seahawks player made an amazing one finger tip just off the ground INT that was initially ruled incomplete. Changed the outcome of the game when it was correctly overturned.

Just make the indisputable part of replay more consistent and meaningful. Otherwise go with the call on the field and make the process faster.

Corruption runs deep in the NFL. It’s not what they see but what they want. 

Games are scripted and random bounces can change/ flip the script. Refs job is to keep the game in script, they are doing what the league wants. 

It becomes very obvious when big market plays small, it’s all fixed. 

Edited by Chill