NFL get rid of instant replay

4 hours ago, Do The Reich Thing said:

How the hell was the Mariota beyond the line of scrimmage pass reviewed yesterday? I didn't realize that penalty warrants a review.

All scoring plays are reviewed...supposedly.

The Titans scored on that illegal forward pass.

• Like (+1) 1

maybe I'm off base but "over officious jerks" isn't obvious to me as referring to the officials

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

2 hours ago, Nextmanup said:

The game has evolved over time to a point where the games are way too heavily over officiated.

The structure of most rules is much too complex as well, and often rules are structured poorly such that it is difficult to render clear, black and white decisions on the field.

The entire system needs to be stripped down to bare metal and reconstructed.

The first thing I would do is eliminate instant replay.  That would be a great start to reducing the important of rules/infractions in games.

Don't think getting rid of instant replay changes things for the better. It was only implemented because the officiating the Bills were subjected to in NE was so horrific that it made ol' Ralph so pissed he rallied the old guard to create the swing votes needed to implement it.

Instructing each head official to reduce flags thrown per game by 40%, would be one positive move.

Make all officials full time paid employees whose retention, and performances are audited and graded by an objective 3rd party to remove the in-house self evals they use today which IMO seems too insular to be effective. Also, in the absence of oversight and transparency who corrects any corruption or bias that may be systemic in that org.

4 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

the Refs should just make the right calls . If a guy hardly touches a QB helmet with his hand, thats not roughing the passer let that crap go.

I don’t remember which game, but I saw a play where the defense blitzed and the pass rush got to the QB before he even had a chance to look for receivers.  A defensive holding penalty in the secondary was called, giving the offense a first down. Use some common sense. That penalty didn’t matter.

• Thank you (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

maybe I'm off base but "over officious jerks" isn't obvious to me as referring to the officials

[This is an automated response]

The topic title is potentially misleading. Accurate titles help the community find topics relevant to their interests and avoids reader frustration. Please change the topic title to more accurately reflect content of the original post.The topic starter can edit the topic title line to make it more appropriate.

Thank you.

seriously??

"Hall of Fame NFL coach Marv Levy once eloquently summed up the way many of us feel about game officials, referring to one particular NFL referee as an “over-officious jerk.”

https://theathletic.com/146642/2017/11/04/blandino-i-spent-more-than-20-years-in-the-nfls-officiating-department-heres-the-view-from-the-inside/

Edited by Buffalo Barbarian
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

its not about KC, it's about how officials are ruining the game.

That was my point...who cares. 

The zebra Corp does need to be a full time job, this part time good ole boys club really has to change. It is kind of a joke how it stands now, it’s as if they have no understanding of what is an actual penalty, they appear to be making it up as they go, “tuck rule”  cough cough, jmo.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 3

The most irritating thing to me is the results of making pass interference or the lack thereof and challengeable issue.  The results?  Multiple obvious bad calls across the league that are not overturned.   It is in essence Al Riveron giving the league the finger for questioning the competence of officials in the first place by making pass interference something that can be challenged.  Riveron needs to be fired and the league needs to find somebody to fill that position who has at least a shred of integrity.

Can we please start putting the title of the thread at the top of the OP so we know what the poster was saying instead of the nonsense that the mods put there? I mean, thanks for telling me that you think something in the title is vague, but I can discern that for myself, thanks. Besides, it's just not that important.