NFL get rid of instant replay

2 hours ago, Chill said:

Corruption runs deep in the NFL. It’s not what they see but what they want. 

Games are are scripted and random bounces can change/ flip the script. Refs job is to keep the game in script, they are doing what the league wants. 

It becomes very obvious when big market plays small, it’s all fixed. 

Los Angeles and New York teams have been favored the last 5 years?

okay...........................   

8 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Los Angeles and New York teams have been favored the last 5 years?

okay...........................   

Conclusion is usually open ended. Refs and the NFL put extreme pressure on certain teams to win, doesn’t always mean they will. A missed field goal can and does flip the script. 

This is pure entertainment and not a sport per se. 

7 minutes ago, Chill said:

Conclusion is usually open ended. Refs and the NFL put extreme pressure on certain teams to win, doesn’t always mean they will. A missed field goal can and does flip the script. 

This is pure entertainment and not a sport per se. 

there is no directive to favor "big market teams"

hate to tell you this, but the team that is more talented, better prepped and executes better, wins the game

• Like (+1) 1

We still need replay to get calls right. Granted some of them will be missed but we still need it. I'd hate to lose a game because of a fumble while the knee was down that couldn't be reviewed. We need replay. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people whine about replay extending games. I'll never be able to understand that. So, let's not take some time to get the call right on the field because you don't want to watch a game you've already spent 3 hours watching for an extra 15 minutes? It's just stupid. Replay is needed. They just need to be more accurate all around. 

4 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

We still need replay to get calls right. Granted some of them will be missed but we still need it. I'd hate to lose a game because of a fumble while the knee was down that couldn't be reviewed. We need replay. One of my biggest pet peeves is when people whine about replay extending games. I'll never be able to understand that. So, let's not take some time to get the call right on the field because you don't want to watch a game you've already spent 3 hours watching for an extra 15 minutes? It's just stupid. Replay is needed. They just need to be more accurate all around. 

it is inconsistently applied and they often make a ruling that is not remotely close to any of the angles we are shown

so you are convinced that the NFL is now far more likely to get the call correct and games aren't affected by bad calls?

(getting ready to laugh...)

11 minutes ago, row_33 said:

it is inconsistently applied and they often make a ruling that is not remotely close to any of the angles we are shown

so you are convinced that the NFL is now far more likely to get the call correct and games aren't affected by bad calls?

(getting ready to laugh...)

Can you not tell by a really good camera angle whether or not a player's knee is down when they fumble? Can you not tell from a really good camera angle that a ball clearly hits the ground when they say a player intercepted it? Sure, some camera angles might suck and you can't really tell but if it's blatant and they have a clear view (non pass interference because they aren't overturning those anyway) it does get overturned quite frequently. Not sure why you would start laughing. It makes no sense

6 minutes ago, Buffalo03 said:

Can you not tell by a really good camera angle whether or not a player's knee is down when they fumble? Can you not tell from a really good camera angle that a ball clearly hits the ground when they say a player intercepted it? Sure, some camera angles might suck and you can't really tell but if it's blatant and they have a clear view (non pass interference because they aren't overturning those anyway) it does get overturned quite frequently. Not sure why you would start laughing. It makes no sense

of course, and they STILL biff it 100% quite often at Replay Central

in every sport

pro sports gave us replay so we could stop being bored (to be honest) and get our pee all hot over bad calls and even worse replay decisions.

On 10/7/2019 at 3:22 AM, Buffalo Barbarian said:

With offcials apparently unable to see what the rest of us see i think its time to get rid of instant replay. I have been in favor of it but since its return officials have been hesitant to make the calls and so have become worse at making the proper call because they are waiting for the camera to do their job.

Get the refs properly trained and not over anxious to throw flags and let the games be played by people and called by people.

Or maybe we should get rid of the refs and let drones do it.

Not too long from now I expect it to be like American idol where the voters decide...  

standard text message rates apply  ? 

Edited by Over 29 years of fanhood
  • Haha (+1) 1

2 minutes ago, row_33 said:

of course, and they STILL biff it 100% quite often at Replay Central

in every sport

pro sports gave us replay so we could stop being bored (to be honest) and get our pee all hot over bad calls and even worse replay decisions.

It's needed to get the calls right, plain and simple. There were to many outcomes of games not going the way they should have before they brought replay back. I remember in '98 the year before they brought back replay when Vinny Testaverde was clearly tackled like a full yard short of the endzone against the Seahawks and the ball was never even close to the goal line and they called it a touchdown. Had replay existed there is no way in hell that was ruled a TD. The Seahawks had a shot at the playoffs before that game and that game pretty much sealed their fate because of a horrendous call that couldn't be reviewed. Of course all scoring plays are reviewed now but back then they weren't and I believe that was the turning point to bringing replay back. If it's really clearly a no brainers, they will get the call right majority of the time

On 10/7/2019 at 5:28 AM, njbuff said:

The PI penalty review will be one and done.

No team will be in favor of it returning for 2020. Not one.

I don’t know. I think the league/owners want protection in some way in case refs make a horrific mistake, such as the non call that generated the rule change. That said, the league has been pretty clear on how they intend on enforcing it. Unless it is a serious error nothing will change. I’m good with that. I was worried we would see tic tac stuff and that would have been painful to watch. By next year I doubt we get many challenges on account of the way it’s being enforced, but we still get to keep the protection. Best of both worlds. 

Edited by KzooMike

1 hour ago, row_33 said:

there is no directive to favor "big market teams"

hate to tell you this, but the team that is more talented, better prepped and executes better, wins the game

Maybe in 1995 that was the case. Now it’s all about money and storylines, usually fabricated like the games. 

Edited by Chill

Getting rid of it would just make all the refs mistakes that can be overturned now even more egregious.  The problem is technology has caught up to expose every little detail the refs have gotten wrong since the beginning of the modern NFL era.

30 minutes ago, Chill said:

Maybe in 1995 that was the case. Now it’s all about money and storylines, usually fabricated like the games. 

Wouldn't have Brees vs. Brady been a great Superbowl story line last year?  The simplest answer for all these blown calls is human error.  Not some conspiracy theory.

5 hours ago, Doc Brown said:

Wouldn't have Brees vs. Brady been a great Superbowl story line last year?  The simplest answer for all these blown calls is human error.  Not some conspiracy theory.

Yes and no.

Isn't the whole point of instant replay to get the calls right?  If one bad call blatantly happens that can change the game, maybe they need to modify the rules to allow for some guy in a sports bar with no rooting interest call it.  I mean come on, it was blatant.  We have all the technology and goofy rules for it, but when we really need it, we can't use it.  Maybe this is where the conspiracy stuff comes in?

33 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

Yes and no.

Isn't the whole point of instant replay to get the calls right?  If one bad call blatantly happens that can change the game, maybe they need to modify the rules to allow for some guy in a sports bar with no rooting interest call it.  I mean come on, it was blatant.  We have all the technology and goofy rules for it, but when we really need it, we can't use it.  Maybe this is where the conspiracy stuff comes in?

Yes it is.  It should be limited to non subjective calls though.  The standard of clear and indisputable video evidence to reverse the call still needs to apply. 

I was against being able to review pass interference because of how subjective it is as it could open Pandora's box.  Now you have fans arguing that you should be able to challenge all penalties.  In real speed the offensive lineman sold hands to the face really well and the ref called it.  It's obvious in slow motion that he didn't.  You could certainly expand replay for coaches to be able to challenge all calls but then games will last four hours and you'll get even more complaints from fans along with more confusion from coaches.  Until we develop robots as refs games like the Packers/Lions will continue to happen multiple times per year considering there's 523 games played per year in the NFL.

The league needs to do a better job holding the refs responsible for bad games/calls.  People say that bad refs don't get playoff games but that's bull####.  Bad refs shouldn't get any games.  If I was as bad at my job as some of these refs are my ass would be fired.

Replay is showing us how bad the problem really is.  Getting rid of it is like saying that pharmaceutical companies are getting caught selling tainted drugs, and the FDA is calling them on it.  Without the FDA it would be harder to catch.  Let's get rid of the FDA.  That's clearly the problem.