Status of AFC: Should Bills Go All In For 2019?

jwhit34

5 minutes ago, ScottLaw said:

Yea I don't really understand it either.... especially for a reciever like AJ Green.

You are likely giving up at most a 2nd round pick(probably a 3rd) for Green.... that ain't doing a damn thing to hurt the future your team going forward with loads of cap space.

Not to mention you'd get a comp pick if you don't re sign green

34 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

If josh is the guy - he gets paid in 3-4 years and that short term piece comes off the books. We are in a cap situation where we can buy proven talent instead of hoping for unproven. It’s an incredible privilege that a lot of folks seem scared of.

Can’t repeat these points enough times. It constantly amazes me how many people seem scared of ruining our shot 5 years from now. 

It sounds cliche but one of the keys to NE continued success is embracing change.    They keep some players in UFA but rarely the most coveted ones and they excel at plugging in new players.    They turn it into an advantage.........new players come in motivated and ready to buy in.    Complacency is unnatural in an environment like they have created.   Great QB, great coaching and dominating change are how they do it.  

Trying to stack and maintain talent nowadays the way the Bills did in the late 80's and 90's is complicated and problematic and I think a large portion of the Bills fanbase has been relatively disengaged from the NFL since those days and still think there can be another era with a dozen guys playing 8-10 years for the team.    It's not happening like that again.   Not even CLOSE.  Doesn't mean they can't sustain winning but it's not going to happen by being patient and stacking and retaining draft picks until the salary cap won't allow it.

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

It sounds cliche but one of the keys to NE continued success is embracing change.    They keep some players in UFA but rarely the most coveted ones and they excel at plugging in new players.    They turn it into an advantage.........new players come in motivated and ready to buy in.    Complacency is unnatural in an environment like they have created.   Great QB, great coaching and dominating change are how they do it.  

Trying to stack and maintain talent nowadays the way the Bills did in the late 80's and 90's is complicated and problematic and I think a large portion of the Bills fanbase has been relatively disengaged from the NFL since those days and still think there can be another era with a dozen guys playing 8-10 years for the team.    It's not happening like that again.   Not even CLOSE.  Doesn't mean they can't sustain winning but it's not going to happen by being patient and stacking and retaining draft picks until the salary cap won't allow it.

NE are one of the most aggressive franchises.  AB, Corey Dillion, Talib, Revis, Moss, the list goes on and on.  They will make a move or look to add talent at the expense of next years 1st or 2nd if they are high enough quality.  It's all make believe.  The Cap goes up every year, the draft is a crap shoot.  Look at the future but win today.  If you are a player or 2 away go find those 1 or 2 players now. Tomorrow may not come.

• Like (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

From 2018 week 1 to 2019 week 1 the Pats turned over 22 roster spots. If you pull Brady that’s 22 gone and 30 remain around him just a year later (over 42% turnover)

one of the articles that really stuck with me like 10 years ago was a deep dive in their roster building. Essentially Brady plus 3(?) cornerstone players. The elite guys at their positions that act as glue and they actually resign. The Seymours, wilforks, and gronks. In that article I believe it was quite literally Brady plus 3 that were the only guys on the roster 4 years prior.

• Like (+1) 1

14 minutes ago, RocCityRoller said:

I like the premise. I feel something special with this team.

Usually I say no, build for the future.

not much to pay next year.

Go for it in a down year.

Against everything I belive in, yes, this is the year to do it.

I'm actually agreeing with Scott Law in this thread. It must be right.

28 minutes ago, Dr. Who said:

I'm actually agreeing with Scott Law in this thread. It must be right.

I can't believe it

30+ years of fandom, and this Defense is real.

Get Green or other help at RB (shouldn't have traded Shady).

Go for it. Push the chips in. Go get it now in a down year. Buffalo is one or two players away from being' that team' and they have the cap to do it.

Hoping for Bills vs 49ers Super Bowl we were all robbed of. Maybe not this year but next.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

The teams who sustain winning are still the teams who draft well. Doesn't mean you should never make trades for proven talent. In fact I think you should when the opportunity is right. It is about what you judge those right opportunities to be. I was in favour at the time of the AB move (though in hindsight we probably dodged a bullet there) I just have significant concerns about how much football there is left in AJ Green. He hasn't even practiced in weeks he is 31 and he has had a succession of injuries now. I don't consider that to be worth anything of value. If the Bengals are giving him away for chips and dips then sure.

• Like (+1) 1

You can't judge strength of schedule a year ahead. (Just look at this season.) But based on who's good now, next year's Bills schedule looks brutal. That includes 4 road trips west. Maybe there is valid reason to go for it this year?

IMHO Josh Allen is ready to take the next step, and I worry that we don't have enough high level playmakers to make that happen. John Brown is getting covered over the top by a safety, until we can take the top off the D the windows are going to get tighter. Now if <insert name> were our number 1 and the Bills now have Brown , Beasley, Knox, Foster, Duke, McKenzie things get more interesting.

I'm in favor of going all in if we can a playmaker who is a difference maker.

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Like (+1) 1

Great topic, I have been thinking about this myself.

When AB went to the Pats (like it or not) it immediately made their number 2 Gordon so much more important as opposing teams would have their number 2 db on him. That just trickles down the line. I love our WR core but  one more WR could easily put JB onto the second best corner. 

I have a feeling NE is going to make a move for a WR, so will be interesting to see what happens and if our GM is happy to stay put or not.  

our D is playing such an elite level that will keep us in every game. I am all for it.