Status of AFC: Should Bills Go All In For 2019?

jwhit34

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No stupid short term moves - which means no to Trent Williams and no to AJ Green. If Diggs came loose at a sensible price I would do that one but the Bills just have to stay the course. We should not be building a one hit wonder. Let's build this to be good for a 5, 6, 7 year run.

I am a fan of this post. 

9 hours ago, dma0034 said:

This is a learning year. Next year they'll be contenders. I fully expect them to lose to the Chiefs or Patriots in the playoffs close and come back and dominate next year

With this defense, if the Bills can avg 24 pts the rest of the way, they can beat the Patriots and Chiefs. They have a SB quality defense. A bonafide #1 receiving threat and consistent running threat and I don't see anybody beating them. Hypothetically speaking, if they were to some how add a Julio Jones to this receiving corp they would be a top contender. Wishful thinking though.

10 hours ago, dma0034 said:

This is a learning year. Next year they'll be contenders. I fully expect them to lose to the Chiefs or Patriots in the playoffs close and come back and dominate next year

I believe this could happen ! I think the Bills learned from the Pats game & will play them even tougher next time & believe they will be in the hunt this year but Josh is still making some rookie decisions & next year he could be even better given the experiences !

I believe with bringing Duke up the WR room just got a lot better & they could package some other players in a trade to up grade even more in that room but i wouldn't want the Bills to alienate any of the guys that are here by doing so & they definitely don't need a diva at any position on the team.

Is Diggs a diva ? Don't know enough about him to say but is this action due to the AB syndrome ? If they would trade for him & he doesn't get the ball as much as he would like would he pulls the same stuff here after getting a bigger contract & do the same thing AB did ?

Those are all things that need to be looked at before getting this guy in here because i don't care how great of a player AB is he ain't worth the BS you have to go through to keep him happy to much ***** for a nickel !! Just saying .

That being said i would rather gain picks by some trades & build through the draft & get some young players on decent contracts that can do as well or better & i'm sure Beane & company have got their eyes on some more up & coming players that will be there in next years draft that will help ...

6 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

This team should model itself after the Patriots.  The Patriots are all about sustainability.  They would never make a bad trade to to achieve a short term gain.  That doesnt mean you can't make a trade.  You just can't mortgage the future on rentals when you wont be getting compensatory picks when they leave.  We will sign too many players next off season to get compensated.  

You can’t model yourself after a one in a hundred bazillion fluke like the Pats*. Their model works because of Brady , and that’s about it. The Bills have cap room to add good players and can certainly make a trade or two. I don’t see Beane spending picks like a drunken sailor or straining their cap. 

4 hours ago, BuffaloBill said:

I do not see Beane and McDerrmott handling the team this way.  What is key is the continued maturation of Josh Allen and then the general health of the team.  They have lost Horrible Harry so far but have otherwise been somewhat OK on the injury front.  

I do.  At a similar juncture in the 2017 season Coach McDermott started telling the players we had a real shot for playoffs.  Then they traded for KB to strengthen their chances.  Whether you liked KB or not is immaterial. they made the move to improve playoff chances.

This is year is similar but we're better and the rest of the AFC is weak expect for a couple of teams.  We should go for it.  We could make some serious noise in this year and even a playoff win.  We're 4-1.  Only one team has give up less points than us in AFC.  A lot of teams are playing scrubs at QB.   The table is set.  We need to take advantage.  Josh can maturate and win at the same time.  A top notch WR could help increase that.

I'm not saying sell the ranch and be like George Allen's over the hill gang, but if you could get AJ for Zay and a third go for it I say.

The days of putting off winning are over.  It's time to win. Do what it takes.  Next year we could be a little better and think it's time only to have the rest of the conference be better.  Strike while the iron is hot.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, CaptnCoke11 said:

Adding a WR halfway through the season isn’t a guarantee it will even work out.  Takes a while to get into the offense.  I’d imagine they will stand par on their roster now or just tweak the bottom half of it some.  

All I need the new receiver to do is to get deep and win your matchup. 

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

This team should model itself after the Patriots.  The Patriots are all about sustainability.  They would never make a bad trade to to achieve a short term gain.  That doesnt mean you can't make a trade.  You just can't mortgage the future on rentals when you wont be getting compensatory picks when they leave.  We will sign too many players next off season to get compensated.  

My thoughts exactly.

Once a team gets deep into the playoffs, opponents are very good and games are a 50-50 shot.  The best strategy for winning a Super Bowl is consistency and sustainability.  Not mortgaging your future for ONE chance at a championship.  

Draft 3-4 good NFL starters every single year.  Don't overburden the salary cap with stupid contracts.  Build a team with strong depth that can weather injuries, and replace free agents who leave for more money.  

The goal should be to win 11+ games every season.  Do that, and you are bound to get some first-round byes.  String together some good playoff games, and chances are you will win it at least once.

• Like (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, reddogblitz said:

I do.  At a similar juncture in the 2017 season Coach McDermott started telling the players we had a real shot for playoffs.  Then they traded for KB to strengthen their chances.  Whether you liked KB or not is immaterial. they made the move to improve playoff chances.

And then 3 weeks later he decided to bench Tyrod for Nathan Peterman!

In retrospect I actually get that now. In baseball Billy Beane has made seemingly conflicting moves like that. The A’s are out of contention, and then he traded for a veteran who’s signed for the next year too. Grab value whenever and wherever you find it. (Not that KB was “value” but really, how could they know he’d be THAT bad?). So if it’s acquiring an expiring contract because “this is the year to go for it,” I hate it. But if it’s getting a good deal on a player who may also make you better next year or the year after that? Sure. 

8 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

No stupid short term moves - which means no to Trent Williams and no to AJ Green. If Diggs came loose at a sensible price I would do that one but the Bills just have to stay the course. We should not be building a one hit wonder. Let's build this to be good for a 5, 6, 7 year run.

Doesn't have to be one or the other.

If you want to win long term you need a good offense...........even the greatest defense of this generation(the Seahawks aka youngest team in football when the won the SB) could only sustain that level for about 4 seasons.   So it's going to be a juggling act keeping this team competitive.

UNLESS you make Allen GREAT.

Which is why you want to get him great weapons ASAP.

This year is a window.........sweet schedule.......defense at it's peak.........Pats OL a mess........Chiefs defense is a joke.......NFC is wide open with no great team.

It's before your time but Polian took a shot trading for Pro Bowl safety Leonard Smith........who greatly helped.........and that didn't hurt them long term.

After that unfortunately Polian got a bit too huggy with his draft picks though and it cost him.

One thing you will find is that as your roster gets better you often stop drafting as efficiently because BPA and NEED stop being the same thing.

That happened with Polian.

He also dropped the ball by not making a move for Charles Haley(an OBVIOUS fit and need and not getting him helped a burgeoning rival) and addressing FS or NT with better players and as a result they never won a SB despite a large window.

• Like (+1) 6

7 hours ago, CSBill said:

I would never trade for a Running Back, remember, we let one of the all-time greats walk before the season started. Why? Because the ROI for backs is never high, there are serviceable people out there on Practice Squads and even street free agents. Either can be had relatively cheaply.

If you could get him for a 3rd, would it be worth it, worst case he's a rental for the year, let him go then, wouldn't the Bills get a 3rd back for him as a comp pick?  Unless they signed another 1st rounder FA, then it offsets??

The team as a whole better be all in already! The championship is the end goal for any team that’s worth a sh_t  imo, adding a player or two will not likely change our chances more than our QB doing better every game. We go where Josh Allen goes, it really is that simple.

I am not against signing players, if they are the right players. I’ll trust the Beane to do the right thing, remember it’s about Sustained success, not one year and back to the bottom of the heap, keep that in mind.

Go Bills!!!

35 minutes ago, Lurker said:

I'm thinking they're still one more good off-season away.   

They remind me of the 1989 Bills team that was leaning how to win and putting together the foundation of those glory years teams...

1988 was the year they had the foundation in place and easily could have won the SB if they weren't so conservative on offense.

1989 was a major disappointment at 9-7, hence the "Bickering Bills".

My initial reaction:  no, no effing way

However...if by go "all in" you mean trade a mid round pick for AJ Green or Trent Williams  .. I would definitely consider it if I was in Beane's place.  I doubt they can be had for that price, but you never know.  I wouldn't consider making a trade like that going "all in", but it would definitely put us into "win now" mode.  Anything higher than a 3rd is a hard no for me.  Even a 3rd I'm hesitant to trade.. look at how our two third round picks are doing this year (Knox and Singletary)!