Status of AFC: Should Bills Go All In For 2019?

jwhit34

1 hour ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

This team should model itself after the Patriots.  The Patriots are all about sustainability.  They would never make a bad trade to to achieve a short term gain.  That doesnt mean you can't make a trade.  You just can't mortgage the future on rentals when you wont be getting compensatory picks when they leave.  We will sign too many players next off season to get compensated.  

The reality is that the Patriots have made a living off making trades for guys like AJ Green and Trent Williams, but only at their price.

They trade for an AJ Green - use him up even more - let him walk for comp picks that replace or improve on what you gave up for him.

The Pats though are at a different point in the success curve and can afford that because the core team is so strong.  The Bills are not there yet and even comp picks right now do not balance the ask.  In a few weeks if AJ Greens asking price drops to a 4th or a 5th then it is right in the Pats wheel house because he will sign a large contract returning a 3rd or 4th down the road.

Please look at the success of last year's draft and even the previous year's draft.  I love that the Bills identify players that they want and use extra draft picks to move up and get them. Our starting MLB, OT/OG(?), TE, RB, and QB were all obtained this way.   I think we should not trade away our first 3 round picks (because they are used to get starters), NOR even later round picks, (because they are used to sweeten these early picks up a couple of notches to get the player we want.)  We have enough depth now and with a bye week we should heal up and be at full strength.,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,  "

Given that the Redskins are in complete disarray I would inquire if they would part ways with Ryan Kerrigan. The guy has been a very productive player for the Skins and he would fit perfectly with the Bills.

I'm trying to open the spotrac page to see his cap numbers but the page doesn't work.

5 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Given:

• The AFC looks very middling except for New England and KC and the Bills played NE tough and KC looked a little vulnerable vs. Indy.
  • The Bills have a favorable schedule.
  • The defense looks like it could be elite/championship caliber.
  • They have most of their key players under contract through 2020 (Alexander probably retires, only starters not signed for '20 are Levi Wallace, Quinton Spain, Frank Gore, key subs not under contract are Shaq Lawson, Jordan Phillips)
  • The team is in a favorable cap situation in '20

Is there enough of a chance to go for it for 2019 by giving up some future assets (draft picks) to get 2-3 players to help them contend this year or is 2020 the year to go for it? Do they have enough to get Trent Williams and a top notch WR (Diggs or Green)? 

Would they/you be willing to part with to get two high end players for the offense? 

Green would be a rental for 11 games and has a $12.1 salary component so pro-rated he would cost about $8 million on the cap. Trent Williams is $11 million salary so would count about $7.3 million on the cap.

Would Cincy take a 3rd and a player for Green (Foster or Zay)?

Would Washington take a 2nd and a player (Foster or Zay - whoever Cincy doesn't take)?

Would they be willing to trade both picks? Would the addition of both players be enough to make the offense top 10? 

I think 2020 roster looks great but they will play the NFC West and AFC West and the 2nd place teams from AFC North and South, so the schedule will be tougher. 

Getting two players like that, then getting SIngletary back from injury and maybe even Kroft is a real boost and could make a big difference.

I think the philosophy McDermott and then Beane sold to the Pegulas was to try to build a perennial contender. 

Given that philosophy, I think you can expect to see a deal or deals only if it makes sense from that perspective.

I don't think you will see them giving up significant future assets or key players to fill in a spot this year.

17 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

Given that the Redskins are in complete disarray I would inquire if they would part ways with Ryan Kerrigan. The guy has been a very productive player for the Skins and he would fit perfectly with the Bills.

I'm trying to open the spotrac page to see his cap numbers but the page doesn't work.

Try Over the Cap:

https://overthecap.com/player/ryan-kerrigan/1462/

• Like (+1) 2

20 minutes ago, Fixxxer said:

I used overthecap instead.

2019 31 $10,500,000 $3,200,000 $250,000   $0   $13,950,000 7.4%  
$3,200,000
$10,750,000
2020 32 $11,500,000 $0 $250,000   $0   $11,750,000 5.9%  
$0
$11,750,000
  • Like (+1) 1

5 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Given:

• The AFC looks very middling except for New England and KC and the Bills played NE tough and KC looked a little vulnerable vs. Indy.
  • They have most of their key players under contract through 2020 (Alexander probably retires, only starters not signed for '20 are Levi Wallace, Quinton Spain, Frank Gore, key subs not under contract are Shaq Lawson, Jordan Phillips)

Is there enough of a chance to go for it for 2019 by giving up some future assets (draft picks) to get 2-3 players to help them contend this year or is 2020 the year to go for it? Do they have enough to get Trent Williams and a top notch WR (Diggs or Green)? 

Would they/you be willing to part with to get two high end players for the offense? 

Green would be a rental for 11 games and has a $12.1 salary component so pro-rated he would cost about $8 million on the cap. Trent Williams is $11 million salary so would count about $7.3 million on the cap.

Would Washington take a 2nd and a player (Foster or Zay - whoever Cincy doesn't take)?

Would they be willing to trade both picks? Would the addition of both players be enough to make the offense top 10? 

I think 2020 roster looks great but they will play the NFC West and AFC West and the 2nd place teams from AFC North and South, so the schedule will be tougher. 

Getting two players like that, then getting SIngletary back from injury and maybe even Kroft is a real boost and could make a big difference. 

I do not see Beane and McDerrmott handling the team this way.  What is key is the continued maturation of Josh Allen and then the general health of the team.  They have lost Horrible Harry so far but have otherwise been somewhat OK on the injury front.  

I'd stay away from selling tomorrow to win today through trading picks, depth players,  ect.  This team is being built the right way to sustain long term winning. We are on the verge of being able to draft the best player available year after year rather than drafting for need.  Let's not screw that up. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 hours ago, jwhit34 said:

Given:

I don't know about mortgaging the future... But if Diggs could be had for a 2 or 3, hell yes. A guy like that could be what takes us over the top... and he has a favorable contract situation. You're not giving away capital for a one-year or less rental. He's under contract for many years to come.

• Like (+1) 1

I would rather see the Bills look to improve the bottom end of their roster than bring in a big name or two for the short term.   They should look at practice squads for youngsters who are better than the lower end guys they have now, especially on the lines.   They should consider adding a middling talent guy or two if they can get younger guys for a modest outlay such as a mid or low round pick.

Edited by SoTier
  • Like (+1) 1

3 hours ago, Pbomb said:

You would trade a first for Gordon? He has been average his whole career , did nothing yesterday and wants a big contract. Ekelar is better, and I’m pretty sure singletary is too 

He’s not worth even a third.  Well, maybe a third if it resulted in us getting a comp pick when he signs elsewhere.

3 hours ago, auburnbillsbacker said:

This team should model itself after the Patriots.  The Patriots are all about sustainability.  They would never make a bad trade to to achieve a short term gain.  That doesnt mean you can't make a trade.  You just can't mortgage the future on rentals when you wont be getting compensatory picks when they leave.  We will sign too many players next off season to get compensated.  

By having a QB that deflats Footballs, owner who is a perv, and head coach who steals signals? Not to mention the countless criminals they've employed over the years. I'd rather the Bills not model themselves after that organization.

No the Bills shouldn't go "All in" this season. At some point you need a difference maker at QB. Allen may outduel the Jets 3rd string QB, a thrash Bengals team, and Mariotta. But he isn't going into KC or NE and competing with those QB's. Not yet at least. Yes we did give Brady trouble at home. But when have we ever given him trouble in Foxboro? The chance to get him was last Sunday.

Edited by Billsfanatic8989

No! That -- going all in for 2019 -- would make us Jacksonville 2017, a team that misreads how good it is compared to the best teams in the AFC. The Bills are making good progress, and as we saw yesterday are roughly the equal of a team like the Titans. Add in a weird division -- 2 teams that are tanking, one by design and one by circumstances, plus one team that is still dominant -- and it's hard to get a handle on exactly where we are. Watching the Chiefs-Colts last night, can anyone say we're clearly better than the Luck-less Colts?  We have a solid team. The core is young. This is not some kind of window of opportunity that's about to slam shut. A strategic acquisition of two? Absolutely. Trading away the future? NO!

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, dma0034 said:

This is a learning year. Next year they'll be contenders. I fully expect them to lose to the Chiefs or Patriots in the playoffs close and come back and dominate next year

Next year we have brutal schedule, like the complete opposite of this year. I know many things will change between now and then, but now it is quite safe to say that if we dominate THAT schedule we are top SB contenders.

To save your time guys:

Home: Kansas, LA Chargers, Seattle, LA Rams, Cleveland/Baltimore instead of Cincinnati, Baltimore, Washington, Philadelphia, Denver 

Away: Oakland, Denver, SF, Arizona, Houston/Indy instead of Pittsburgh, Cleveland, Dallas, NY Giants and Tennessee.

Road games look similar, but home games are like day and night, if we get Ravens both times all 4 games next year may be tougher than Philly this year. Miami can only get better, Jets probably too. We have like 7-8 relatively easy games this year, and there might be 3-4 like that next year.

Anyway, to the OP, I am against any short term moves for costly resources at all. Just keep building team through draft, sign our own do reasonable contracts and try to add quality in FA.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

I think the philosophy McDermott and then Beane sold to the Pegulas was to try to build a perennial contender. 

Given that philosophy, I think you can expect to see a deal or deals only if it makes sense from that perspective.

I don't think you will see them giving up significant future assets or key players to fill in a spot this year.

Try Over the Cap:

I don’t want another old outside rusher. We need need youth at edge. Kerrigan is a good player but at that price we need youth.