Status of AFC: Should Bills Go All In For 2019?

jwhit34

Given:

• The AFC looks very middling except for New England and KC and the Bills played NE tough and KC looked a little vulnerable vs. Indy.
  • The Bills have a favorable schedule.
  • The defense looks like it could be elite/championship caliber.
  • They have most of their key players under contract through 2020 (Alexander probably retires, only starters not signed for '20 are Levi Wallace, Quinton Spain, Frank Gore, key subs not under contract are Shaq Lawson, Jordan Phillips)
  • The team is in a favorable cap situation in '20

Is there enough of a chance to go for it for 2019 by giving up some future assets (draft picks) to get 2-3 players to help them contend this year or is 2020 the year to go for it? Do they have enough to get Trent Williams and a top notch WR (Diggs or Green)? 

Would they/you be willing to part with to get two high end players for the offense? 

Green would be a rental for 11 games and has a $12.1 salary component so pro-rated he would cost about $8 million on the cap. Trent Williams is $11 million salary so would count about $7.3 million on the cap.

Would Cincy take a 3rd and a player for Green (Foster or Zay)?

Would Washington take a 2nd and a player (Foster or Zay - whoever Cincy doesn't take)?

Would they be willing to trade both picks? Would the addition of both players be enough to make the offense top 10? 

I think 2020 roster looks great but they will play the NFC West and AFC West and the 2nd place teams from AFC North and South, so the schedule will be tougher. 

Getting two players like that, then getting SIngletary back from injury and maybe even Kroft is a real boost and could make a big difference. 

• Like (+1) 2

I am all in for 2019. I think you only get so many shots and this year NE’s offense is suspect for once. So if we can get more weapons we can outscore them because they are afraid of our defense. KC showed they aren’t tough but again we will need to score more. Be bold in 2019. I go for Diggs because of age/contract and then Green if you can’t get Diggs. 

Williams is unlikely because they want 1st rounder(s). None of these players are worth that to our front office IMO. 

I would also look for pass rush help. We need more outside youth and speed. With Zo leaving, Jerry getting old, Murphy being average and injured often, and Shaq not being a speed rush guy, we need an outside speed presence besides Jerry. I would prioritize that over OT. Von Miller isn’t happening because of his age and the amount of assets it would take. 

• Like (+1) 3

19 minutes ago, PUNT750 said:

I think we're already all in for 2019!  The key is Josh's play and that's it!

There are things we could do to make this team better

3 minutes ago, Mountain Man said:

I want absolutely nothing to do with Green, the guy's body is breaking. 

And no I don't want all in either. We're more than a WR away anyway 

We actually dont know that.....we are what our record says we are

• Like (+1) 3

I could be wrong, but I don't expect any serious flashy additions this year unless the price is really good. As I've said before, Beane is on record saying a team is never "one player away", so I don't expect him to make a move that will heavily impact our future drafts. I also doubt Zay's trade value. He has done next to nothing this year and got out performed today by a practice squad callup in his first ever NFL game, which leads me to believe most other teams won't value him very high. 

As others have said, I think this year is meant to be our adjustment period now that we finally have a team that's built in McBeanes image. Most seem to forget that Allen was supposed to sit at least one full season before starting, so he's still learning on the fly. Today was his 16th start, so he basically has one season experience and one real offseason of development (his rookie year doesn't really count as he mostly played 3rd string in TC/preseason). I think we make the playoffs this year, and lose to one of the powerhouses in NE and KC. Another year of solid drafting from BB, re-signing the guys that they want to stick around, and putting our cap space to use in free agency, and I think we'll be ready to compete for the AFC title in 2020.  

• Like (+1) 6

if itʻs a steal deal... yes, make moves

but we are not desperate...

moves I would make if we are talking about dangling a first round pick:

1) Von Miller - would make our defense LIGHTS OUT

2) Stephon Diggs - a true WR1... brown goes to 2, beasley at slot, Duke at the 3

3) Melvin Gordon - yes we have Singletary but this dude would be the perfect compliment to Gore

• Like (+1) 2

This a very good topic for the bye week as the NFL has now become a much more activity trading league.  The trade deadline will see the lower rung teams dumping players for draft picks like we've seen for years in the other major sports.  The article below shows several teams that gearing up for a big run.  

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/patriots-chiefs-ravens-saints-eagles-seahawks-among-teams-already-laying-groundwork-for-frenzied-trade-deadline/

Where do the Bills fit into that is the question that I'm sure they'll be talking about this week.  I love the way they built this team from the ground up and this new trading trend kind of flies in the face of that.  Plus Beane got burned on Kelvin Benjamin trade two years ago in a similar situation.

If they're going to make a move, I'd love to see them get Geno Atkins from Bengals (sending Peko back to PS for this year).  I'd also like to see us get a better 3rd RB.  I'm mixed on Yeldon and Gore will need more help as the season progresses.  I don't think I would trade for Gordon, so it would have to be someone else.  Maybe Drake or Bellage from the Dolphins?  Von Miller would be amazing, but the price would be pretty high, I imagine.  

Edited by cage
  • Like (+1) 1

No stupid short term moves - which means no to Trent Williams and no to AJ Green. If Diggs came loose at a sensible price I would do that one but the Bills just have to stay the course. We should not be building a one hit wonder. Let's build this to be good for a 5, 6, 7 year run.

• Like (+1) 10
  • Awesome! (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 6

1 hour ago, rayray808 said:

if itʻs a steal deal... yes, make moves

but we are not desperate...

moves I would make if we are talking about dangling a first round pick:

1) Von Miller - would make our defense LIGHTS OUT

2) Stephon Diggs - a true WR1... brown goes to 2, beasley at slot, Duke at the 3

3) Melvin Gordon - yes we have Singletary but this dude would be the perfect compliment to Gore

You would trade a first for Gordon? He has been average his whole career , did nothing yesterday and wants a big contract. Ekelar is better, and I’m pretty sure singletary is too 

• Like (+1) 1

I'd be surprised if the Bills gave up draft assets for damaged players this year.

They can get the brass ring with what they have and they can keep all their draft assets for 2020, which is a strong draft class.

Nothing wrong with going for a championship and continuing building for your future. It is allowed you know. ?

We are on to Miami. ?

Edited by njbuff
  • Like (+1) 1

Of the people we know who are available (well, at least rumored to be), Diggs is the only one I would seriously consider. Another strong receiver would be a bonus.

I would never trade for a Running Back, remember, we let one of the all-time greats walk before the season started. Why? Because the ROI for backs is never high, there are serviceable people out there on Practice Squads and even street free agents. Either can be had relatively cheaply.

As for Trent Williams, it appears the price is too high, but that could change. I do think, however, if the injuries are serious to Ford and Morse, they may make some kind of move here. The wild card in this is Bates. We know Long is a capable starter--he has proven value. But Bates seems to be the steal of off-season. Somehow Beane had him targeted, pulled it off, and by all accounts, that appears to be a brilliant pick-up. If it turns out he has to play regularly, it is even better. Having another starting  quality o-lineman would be a bonus.

Which brings me back to WR. I'm still not sure what we have here. Foster is the enigma right now. He showed great potential last year, but injuries have hampered him this season. I love the Duke story, and what we saw from him yesterday is what he will bring--a good possession guy who will not out-run anyone, just out muscle them--which is good. We seem to be missing one more capable person. I'm sure they thought that Zay, maybe Foster, would be that third wheel, but this is a meritocracy business and you have to produce in games, neither has. So, if (and that's a big "If") the Bills do anything big, I think its in the WR position--that is the one place an immediate impact could be a difference maker.

Edited by CSBill
  • Like (+1) 3

This team should model itself after the Patriots.  The Patriots are all about sustainability.  They would never make a bad trade to to achieve a short term gain.  That doesnt mean you can't make a trade.  You just can't mortgage the future on rentals when you wont be getting compensatory picks when they leave.  We will sign too many players next off season to get compensated.  

Edited by auburnbillsbacker
  • Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

No stupid short term moves - which means no to Trent Williams and no to AJ Green. If Diggs came loose at a sensible price I would do that one but the Bills just have to stay the course. We should not be building a one hit wonder. Let's build this to be good for a 5, 6, 7 year run.

Perfect - I am in for someone that can be a part of the team going forward and will not disrupt the chemistry.

I want no part of guys like AJ Green or Trent Williams that although they will help this year - they have no long term value to sustainable success.

This is where the Sabres were a few years ago and GM Murray started trading assets for short term talent and destroyed both a young, up and coming core and long term depth.

Be patient and let them continue to grow.

• Like (+1) 3

Digs would be my only yes vote at the right price.  I don’t see Spielman going for it as Zimmer might not last, and as mentioned above Diggs is only 25.  Foster should heal up over the next two weeks so not a must we have to get Diggs, and Williams had a nice coming out party yesterday.

The line will heal and we have depth.  If Nseke comes back, we can place Ford back at RG, and move Feliciano at LG.  He is better than Spain.

My only concerns are the Eagles, Cowboys, and of course the Pats.  We could be as high as 12-4 or at least 11-5.  The Eagles secondary is beaten up, and they come to our house after healing up on a bye, and a beat down in Buffalo to the Fish.

Go Bills!!!