Singletary will be a difference maker

It's pretty clear what the template for winning games is this year;  suffocate them with our elite defense, and find enough offense somewhere to get us across the finish line at the end of the game.  You can't argue with the results so far, 4-1 heading into our bye. 

Just how good is our defense?  In the four games the Patriots played teams other than the Bills this season, they averaged 34.75 points a game.  They scored 16 points against the Bills and that was with our offense turning the ball over to Brady four times.   Through five weeks our defense has allowed an average of 14 points a game.  To put that into perspective, in the 41 years since the NFL went to 16 game seasons, only 25 defenses have given up less that 14 points a game over the course of a full season.  It's only been five games, but there is no doubt that this defense is for real.

So far this season, the Bills' offense is averaging just 18 points a game.  Allen continues to improve and he seems to have the clutch gene, and Gore, Beasley, and Brown are great at moving the sticks, but we need to get some more juice out of the offense going forward.  The Bills offense needs another playmaker if they are going to take that next step.  I think a healthy Singletary can provide that juice when he is back in the lineup.  Here are his stats;

Jets Week 1

Rushing;    4 rushes

70 yards

17.5 yard average

Longest rush 23 yards

4 first downs

Receiving;  6 targets

5 receptions

28 yards

Longest reception 12 yards

Giants Week 2

Rushing;     6 rushes

57 yards

9.5 yard average

Longest run 20 yards

2 first downs

1 TD, 14 yard run

Receiving;   No targets

Just 16 total touches through two weeks before being injured.

I think when we add this kind of production to our offense going forward, we will see our offense take another step forward.   We need someone who can provide chunk plays on offense and who is dangerous both running and catching the ball.  We need someone who is a threat to score every time he touches the ball.  We need someone that the opposing defense has to game plan for.  We just don't have that right now.  Our offense looks completely different when Singletary is in there getting touches.  I think our 18 point a game average on offense is going to get a boost coming out of the bye week. 

If the offense starts scoring more points and playing efficient football, just imagine how much better our defense can be when they aren't forced to bail out the offense all the time.

Edited by Inigo Montoya
  • Like (+1) 7

15 minutes ago, Inigo Montoya said:

In the four games the Patriots played teams other than the Bills this season, they averaged 34.75 points a game.  They scored 16 points against the Bills and that was with our offense turning the ball over to Brady four times. 

Must note 6 of those points coming off the blocked punt. The defense only gave up 10 points to Brady who, like you said benefited from 4 TO's. AMAZING!

• Thank you (+1) 2

29 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

I think he was prob close to playing in this game...and took a calculated gamble they could win without him

Coming off the bye Devin should be 100 percent....which will be huge

I feel like the wet rainy conditions played a factor too.

Singletary and Taron Johnson will be back for Miami, let's beat the bricks off them so our offense is confident heading into a critical Eagles game

• Like (+1) 1

Just the added dimension of Singletary should open things up elsewhere.  Right now teams know all our runs are going up the A/B gap with Gore, and Gore isn't a huge receiving threat out of the backfield. 

Yeldon is a huge receiving threat, but we don't run him a lot. 

Singletary opens up runs up the middle and to the outside, along with being a threat in the passing game.

10 hours ago, rayray808 said:

My cousin told me that it was because of the weather/field conditions

If true that is very smart...slipping while running is a really tough thing to deal with coming back from a muscle strain...dont risk 1 game for potentially 3 or 4 more.

Edited by matter2003