Did they ever change the wild card home field rule?

53 minutes ago, Binghamton Beast said:

That would be an awful move.

I agree.  Winning your division should be something for the fans to root for.  It also gives an okay team in a weak division a chance and hope for the post season play.

Edited by maryland-bills-fan

7 hours ago, BADOLBILZ said:

No if they want homefield in the WC round they need to win the division............which shouldn't be conceded by the fanbase..........the AFC is winnable.    It's all winnable.    But they gotta' find a way to score points along with the good defense.

All they've gotta do is score one more than the opposition, and they've managed to do that 4 out of 5 times so far.  Josh is getting better, and Singletary returns after the bye.

In order to have a chance to catch the Pats*** the Bills can probably only lose one more game before W16.  Of course, the Pats*** have to lose at least one as well.  Their toughest stretch by far is weeks 9-14: @BAL, bye, @PHI, DAL, @HOU, KC.  Is it possible? Sure.  Definitely improbable, but I won't count the Bills out of any game at this point.

9 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

KC is what the Colts used to be

Soft wimpy finesse team

Colts are now tough running team with a defense

NE is going 19-0

This is sickening

That's game folks!

Wow what a stinker next week on SNF

Pats aren't going 19-0

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not get get ahead of ourselves, but say the Bills finish with a better record than either #3 or #4 seed conference champs. Didn't the NFL once consider allowing a wild card team with a better record to host a game? Or did they table that idea?

I've heard people (some idiots) talk about it in the past. 

I don't ever think the NFL took it seriously.  

9 hours ago, TheFunPolice said:

KC is what the Colts used to be

Soft wimpy finesse team

Colts are now tough running team with a defense

NE is going 19-0

This is sickening

That's game folks!

Wow what a stinker next week on SNF

LOL

The Colts took the Chef's to the kitchen for some schooling last night. 

:censored: the Pats

10 hours ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Not get get ahead of ourselves, but say the Bills finish with a better record than either #3 or #4 seed conference champs. Didn't the NFL once consider allowing a wild card team with a better record to host a game? Or did they table that idea?

This should be brought up on the Pats* fan site.  The Bills are winning the division.

• Haha (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Gugny said:

This should be brought up on the Pats* fan site.  The Bills are winning the division.

GGAAAHHHHHHHHHH!!!! Is it time to get up to Foxboro yet???!!!!! 

Image result for i want holyfield gif

4 minutes ago, r00tabaga said:

You win your division you SHOULD be hosting a playoff game. 

the 12-4 chargers shouldn't have had to travel for BOTH their games last year against teams with lesser records.

the 7-9 seahawks NEVER deserved a playoff slot, let alone a home game.

• Haha (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, Gugny said:

Wasn't there a year where someone in the NFC West, Seattle I think, won the division with a 7-9 record and got to host a playoff game against a team with a far better record?

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Buffalo03 said:

Unfortunately no, in order to get a home wild card game in the playoffs you have to win your division. Even if that means one division winner is 8-8 and we go 11-5. It's really stupid but that's how it works

I agree with it. If you get in with a wild card you should have no special treatment. Want a home game? Win your division.

Keeps teams playing hard at the end of the season even once they have clinched a playoff spot.

12 minutes ago, PromoTheRobot said:

Wasn't there a year where someone in the NFC West, Seattle I think, won the division with a 7-9 record and got to host a playoff game against a team with a far better record?

Yes.  It was Seattle.  They hosted the Saints and beat them partially due to a 75 (I think) yard run by Marshawn Lynch.

• Like (+1) 1

Win your division, get a home playoff game....once in a while it works out so bad team is home...Seahawks (7-9) hosted  the Saints (10-6)...Seahawks won.   So win the damn division or the only other way to get a home game is if you are #5 and you and #6 make the championship game.

12 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I think the bigger change that should be thought through is allowing the top 6 overall records to get into the playoffs, thus eliminating lemon division winners getting into the playoffs.

But the counter argument to that is you don't play equal schedules.  The Bills have an advantage playing the NFC east this year while the AFC west plays the NFC north where all 4 teams are very good.  Likely no one in the NFC north will have a great record either as unlikely anyone sweeps the division there too.  Even the AFC north plays the NFC west which has three solid teams.

Yes is sucks but also the reason why the road team often does win the  wild card game as they often are the better team.

• Like (+1) 1

10 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Of course but the thread is about a WC home game

I was reacting to you saying that their only chance for a home playoff game would be in the AFC championship.  

That's not the case.

2 of the 4 division winners play on WC weekend..........so they could win the division as a 3rd or 4th seed and host a home WC game.

Unlikely that the AFC East champ wouldn't be one of the top 2 seeds but possible nonetheless.

2 hours ago, Stank_Nasty said:

the 12-4 chargers shouldn't have had to travel for BOTH their games last year against teams with lesser records.

the 7-9 seahawks NEVER deserved a playoff slot, let alone a home game.

Agree. Home field advantage should be based on record. Period.

9 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

But the counter argument to that is you don't play equal schedules.  The Bills have an advantage playing the NFC east this year while the AFC west plays the NFC north where all 4 teams are very good.  Likely no one in the NFC north will have a great record either as unlikely anyone sweeps the division there too.  Even the AFC north plays the NFC west which has three solid teams.

Yes is sucks but also the reason why the road team often does win the  wild card game as they often are the better team.

I agree.  Also playing your division teams 2 times a year does the same thing.

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Agree. Home field advantage should be based on record. Period.

see above.  The only way I agree with that is to get rid of the divisions all together.

4 hours ago, eball said:

All they've gotta do is score one more than the opposition, and they've managed to do that 4 out of 5 times so far.  Josh is getting better, and Singletary returns after the bye.

In order to have a chance to catch the Pats*** the Bills can probably only lose one more game before W16.  Of course, the Pats*** have to lose at least one as well.  Their toughest stretch by far is weeks 9-14: @BAL, bye, @PHI, DAL, @HOU, KC.  Is it possible? Sure.  Definitely improbable, but I won't count the Bills out of any game at this point.

Pats were 3-5 on the road last year.    The only easy win was their 19 point win in Buffalo.

Because the Bills typically play their worst against them we tend to overhype the regular season Pats.........but they are vulnerable........especially in a year where they get a lot of injuries. 

Their schedule has been favorable and they should have lost in Buffalo...........but I still expect them to lose a few games at least.

If the Bills don't figure out how to score more points they will end up losing more of these style of games that they've been winning(the Pats game was already an example of one they could have easily won).

When it always comes down to a bounce or a call or two you eventually take some unexpected L's.    Keeping the score close.......inadvertently(this case) or by design(Jauron Ball) works both ways.   

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, whatdrought said:

I think the bigger change that should be thought through is allowing the top 6 overall records to get into the playoffs, thus eliminating lemon division winners getting into the playoffs.

the rules are set up ahead of time and teams strategize off these rules to their advantage.

a team will gladly coast into a division title, with a few less wins than if they tried their hardest all season.

the NFL loves these rivalry divisions and won't be changing anytime soon.

a few WC have won it all, not sure about a 7 or 8 win division winner.