The Bills Have Moved The Ball....But Why Can’t They Score?

17 minutes ago, Estro said:

The big play and deep ball has been sorely lacking, IMO.  

I don't think Josh Allen is built to lead 12 play drives down the field......we need to see much more of the big passing plays to be a playoff team IMO.

Yeah it's a matchup league and the Bills offensive personnel doesn't cause mismatches that lead to quick scores............and as you said they NEED those.

Every game we get the obligatory shots of every receiver being covered on a failed play and yet so many fans can't put 2 and 2 together...........they need at least one guy who can really take the lid off.

Foster being a failure this season really hurts............the AFC is winnable.........Bills should be in on getting a stud WR before the deadline.

• Like (+1) 3

Lots of new pieces. When you get into the red zone or even just on the opponent's side of the field it comes down to execution. The offense is still learning to play together and we still have a QB learning how to play.

25 minutes ago, Livinginthepast said:

Daboll is good with the playcalling in parts of games and then seems to suffer from brain cramps especially right after half time.  The execution on some plays in some key 3rd down situations has been abysmal. I think Josh will improve with more experience. Even today you could tell he was more careful with the ball. 

20 minutes ago, BuffBillsForLife said:

Turnovers and stone hands.

It's not the play calling or the turnovers.

Daboll has done a good job in drawing up and calling plays that trick the defense.........he just has a pedestrian group of weapons to work with.

And a lot of the turnovers came on plays where Allen should have just thrown the ball away and settled for the punt......like the interception today.....that's not been costing them many points.   

1 minute ago, MJS said:

Lots of new pieces. When you get into the red zone or even just on the opponent's side of the field it comes down to execution. The offense is still learning to play together and we still have a QB learning how to play.

Not buying that excuse...........new personnel that the opponent doesn't have much film on in that system can be a big advantage early in the season.

It's the matchups.

Add a stud in the passing game and that moves John Brown to a lesser CB and so on..........that's how improve your matchups.

• Like (+1) 2

18 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

Not buying that excuse...........new personnel that the opponent doesn't have much film on in that system can be a big advantage early in the season.

It's the matchups.

Add a stud in the passing game and that moves John Brown to a lesser CB and so on..........that's how improve your matchups.

I respect your opinion but I disagree. There's not a coach or player in the game that would tell you continuity isn't important. Having 9 new starters is a disadvantage until they can get up to speed.

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, MJS said:

I respect your opinion but I disagree. There's not a coach or player in the game that would tell you continuity isn't important. Having 9 new starters is a disadvantage until they can get up to speed.

Continuity on offense is great if those are the players you plan to have for 5 years............this WR corps is lead by a bunch of rentals that will all be gone in 2-3 years so I guess they better get their noses in the playbook.:thumbsup:

Seriously...........the "they need time to gel" thing isn't really applicable anymore...............EVERY team is in major transition from year to year.

Case in point can you imagine 20 years ago having all of these young QB's step right in after injuries to incumbents and excel?    And this is all happening IN SEASON.   The game has changed a lot in the last decade.   If all your key players were with you in OTA's you are ahead of the game.    A lack of tape on them in that system is probably the biggest advantage a player has in the NFL now.   

• Like (+1) 2

47 minutes ago, MJS said:

Our red zone efficiency is very good this season.

It's the big yardage plays that have been lacking.

• Like (+1) 1

Sacks that take us out of field goal range (at least three that I can think of}.  Turnovers.  Lack of any long TD's. Missed 4th downs under two yards.  No defensive or special teams TD's.

Edited by Doc Brown

8 minutes ago, Mark Vader said:

Our red zone efficiency is very good this season.

It's the big yardage plays that have been lacking.

Said it before but McDermott and Frazier would LOVE to line their defense up against this Bills offense...........their defense is designed to make offenses execute long drives because very few teams can do it without drive killing mistakes/failures well short of the endzone.

• Like (+1) 2

Here's my theory on the lack of long ball?  Right now, who's the deep threat outside of John Brown?  Maybe Duke now, but really nobody up to this point.  Therefore, defenses put a high safety over the top of Brown.  When Allen has gone deep to Brown (outside the one he overthrew Brown), there has been a high safety who has broken up the pass or intercepted it.  Hopefully with Duke (who can high point the ball) and the return of Foster, we can get the safety to commit to one side or the other and get some one on one matchups.  

Who remembers the Akili Smith and Carl Pickens show in Cincinnati?  Smith would just air bomb a throw high and far and let Pickens locate it and run under it.  I think this could be an option for Duke who can probably out muscle DBs and high point the ball.  Especially if he can get one on one coverage.

2 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

My question is - why aren’t the Bills scoring more points?  I am sure that Allen’s turnovers don’t help, but it really makes me wonder why,  Is it all on Allen?  

I think it is pretty much exactly this. It is not ALL on Allen. Yeldon had a costly fumble. Theirs been a penalty or two that put us out of FG range. But Allen has turned the ball over and also taken some bad sacks that took potential points off the board. But I'll take consistent movement of the football, Yards Per Play over Turnovers. Turnovers can be corrected, or they just tend to fall back to the mean because having a ton or hardly any early in the season can be a bit flukey. We know with Allen we may have more than most teams but I wouldn't expect another Jets first half debacle game. And we only play the Patriots one more time late in the season rather than every other week so I also wouldn't expect another 3 INT game from Allen anytime soon.

5 minutes ago, Lieutenant Aldo Raine said:

Here's my theory on the lack of long ball?  Right now, who's the deep threat outside of John Brown?  Maybe Duke now, but really nobody up to this point.  Therefore, defenses put a high safety over the top of Brown.  When Allen has gone deep to Brown (outside the one he overthrew Brown), there has been a high safety who has broken up the pass or intercepted it.  Hopefully with Duke (who can high point the ball) and the return of Foster, we can get the safety to commit to one side or the other and get some one on one matchups.  

Who remembers the Akili Smith and Carl Pickens show in Cincinnati?  Smith would just air bomb a throw high and far and let Pickens locate it and run under it.  I think this could be an option for Duke who can probably out muscle DBs and high point the ball.  Especially if he can get one on one coverage.

You are definitely thinking of Jeff Blake.    Akili Smith never peed a drop in the NFL he was a total bust.

But you are right about Brown.............he COULD be a deep threat............and he gets extra attention but it's not just safety help..........the Bills can't even afford to send him deep because he's the only receiver they have that can keep drives going on intermediate routes consistently.    They'd go broke trying to throw 5 yard passes to Beasley all game.   

Duke tho.......I just don't see him being a deep threat..........Carl Pickens was actually big AND fast.    Duke is crazy slow.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, BADOLBILZ said:

You are definitely thinking of Jeff Blake.    Akili Smith never peed a drop in the NFL he was a total bust.

But you are right about Brown.............he COULD be a deep threat............and he gets extra attention but it's not just safety help..........the Bills can't even afford to send him deep because he's the only receiver they have that can keep drives going on intermediate routes consistently.    They'd go broke trying to throw 5 yard passes to Beasley all game.   

Duke tho.......I just don't see him being a deep threat..........Carl Pickens was actually big AND fast.    Duke is crazy slow.

Jeff Blake, that's right.  Thanks for the correction.  

Not to the question of why weren’t getting points (I agree with TOs, sacks, drops, and penalties), but I think with this defense that offensive yards matter more than other teams. More yards mean more first downs which mean more rest for the defense.  Feels as if we are way better in the 3 and out stat than last year and it’s helping our defense. Once this offense gels I think the points will come.