The Bills Have Moved The Ball....But Why Can’t They Score?

Here is something that I find odd about this years’ Bills offense.  If you look at the output over the past 5 weeks, you would think their offense is really bad.  The team is averaging just 18 points per game, and only 15 points over the past three games.

But if you take a look at the team stats, what you’ll find is that the Bills are regularly outperforming their opponent in total yards on offense.  3 times so far, we’re taking a different of 100+ yards.  

Take a look:

Bills 370, Jets 223  -  W Bills 17 -13

Bills 388, NYG 370 - W Bills 28-14

Bills 416, Bengals 306 - W Bills 21-17

Bills 375, Patriots 224 - L Patriots 16-10

Bills 313, Titans 252 - W Bills 14-10

My question is - why aren’t the Bills scoring more points?  I am sure that Allen’s turnovers don’t help, but it really makes me wonder why,  Is it all on Allen?  Or are their other factors involved? because based on yardage they are probably toward the middle of the pact in the NFL.  

Also, I’ve seen many people blame Brian Daboll but if you look at these stats it’s proof that his offense is moving the football.  For whatever reason, they aren’t scoring points. 

3 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Here is something that I find odd about this years’ Bills offense.  If you look at the output over the past 5 weeks, you would think their offense is really bad.  The team is averaging just 18 points per game, and only 15 points over the past three games.

But if you take a look at the team stats, what you’ll find is that the Bills are regularly outperforming their opponent in total yards on offense.  3 times so far, we’re taking a different of 100+ yards.  

Take a look:

My question is - why aren’t the Bills scoring more points?  I am sure that Allen’s turnovers don’t help, but it really makes me wonder why,  Is it all on Allen?  Or are their other factors involved? because based on yardage they are probably toward the middle of the pact in the NFL.  

Also, I’ve seen many people blame Brian Daboll but if you look at these stats it’s proof that his offense is moving the football.  For whatever reason, they aren’t scoring points. 

Simple - Turnovers, penalties, and dropped passes.  

Playing great defenses last 2 weeks didn’t help either.

Edited by Alphadawg7
  • Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 1

Like someone else said... Turnovers, penalties, dropped passes, and sacks.  This offense isn't moving in big chunks.  Its moving in small clips.  Long drives = more attempts at screwing up.  I like that Allen has done a lot of work on his short game and I think he is doing a pretty good job, but lets face it... He isn't Tom Brady and our receivers aren't breaking 20 yards after the catch.  Can't run an offense like the Pats when you are not the Pats.  You can have them drives, but at some point you need to get chunk plays too.

Edited by Scott7975
  • Like (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, Boatdrinks said:

It seems their drives have stalled on penalties, turnovers , and sacks. Don’t know if the numbers back this up. 

that’s right.  When offense isn’t explosive and you need 8-10 play drives to score,  bad things inevitably happen to sabotage the drive.  Bills aren’t explosive whatsoever 

• Like (+1) 2

3 minutes ago, zow2 said:

that’s right.  When offense isn’t explosive and you need 8-10 play drives to score,  bad things inevitably happen to sabotage the drive.  Bills aren’t explosive whatsoever 

Yes, they are still an offense with a lot of new parts, and not a complete unit yet. They still don’t have a true #1 WR , and are playing with rookie TEs. Definitely not a finished product. Having a top defense may influence Daboll to keep things low risk as well. 

The big play and deep ball has been sorely lacking, IMO.  

I don't think Josh Allen is built to lead 12 play drives down the field......we need to see much more of the big passing plays to be a playoff team IMO.

• Like (+1) 1

Dawson Knox and Tommy Sweeney both had drops that directly stalled out drives approaching scoring position today.  Stuff like that has been happening every game. 

Not connecting on deep passes yet. 

We also had another 3rd Quarter naptime out there, so we’re essentially putting up all that yardage in 3 quarters. 

Edited by SCBills

1 minute ago, Estro said:

I don't think Josh Allen is built to lead 12 play drives down the field......we need to see much more of the big passing plays to be a playoff team IMO.

I agree. But he’s not even taking deep shots. I don’t think he had a single deep attempt today. Not going to complain (because he played well and is making some great intermediate throws)— but we aren’t getting huge chunk plays. 

Daboll is good with the playcalling in parts of games and then seems to suffer from brain cramps especially right after half time.  The execution on some plays in some key 3rd down situations has been abysmal. I think Josh will improve with more experience. Even today you could tell he was more careful with the ball. 

• Like (+1) 1

42 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Take a look:

i really like Dabol but he needs to be more balanced.

Not sure why we aren't scoring more.

16 minutes ago, Estro said:

I agree some more deep shots down the field would help. But during the Pats game, Allen was looking for deeper shots downfield, holding on to the ball trying to do too much & our offense got eaten alive. Once Daboll got Allen to throw on rhythm with 3 step drops on precision plays, the offense started rolling & we were way more successful moving the ball.

This season Allen seems to perform better with the precision routes than the hero ball style of play. Perhaps Daboll can work in more play action deeper down the field. Because those deep routes do help to open things up. But with the injuries to our Oline, depending on their severity, that may limit how long Allen has back there to work deeper down field.

With so many new faces to this offense, it was always gonna be a work in progress. I think we just need to be patient as things come together & be thankful we're 4-1