A Few Thoughts about the Titans Game, in no particular order

Virgil

2 hours ago, oldmanfan said:

All good except one thing: let’s get rid of the term Billsy. 

I agree. And I wouldn't categorize Allen's "doh" plays as Billsy since they are a direct byproduct of Allen's gunslinger mentality. The last gunslinger of a QB we had was Kelly and those teams were not "Billsy" as I recall.

Kudos to the next man up. This team is well coached.

Duke Williams, taking his opportunity and making the best of it, maybe solidifying that dreaded third WR position for this team.

Maurice Alexander, filling in for Matt Milano and Corey Thompson. He's the third guy on the depth chart and though possibly he wasn't perfect the defense didn't miss a beat.

Ryan Bates, filling in for Cody Ford at RT, I have a feeling this rookie player will finish the year starting at RT (maybe I'm crazy)

Feliciano filling in for Mitch Morse., keep practicing those shotgun snaps, I was expecting one flying over Allen's head today.

Edited by Fixxxer

7 minutes ago, The Red King said:

Ironically, if you check the Titans' boards, they're complaining about the refs as much as we did. ?

the refs missed a clear facemask penalty on one of Phillips' sacks. They're probably complaining about the TD that wasn't, where Mariotta clearly passed the ball beyond the line of scrimmage, even though the "ref in the booth" said his left foot was behind the LOS, hence making the pass legit.

57 minutes ago, Warcodered said:

People really seem to be having trouble grading punters right now Bojangels isn't great but I'd say he's definitely average and possibly good. Punters that repeatedly drop them near the goal line/ inside the 20 on a consistent basis are great. Punters that avoid ***** up and don't give away great field position with occasional punts inside the 20 are okay to good.

Bills fans are just used to Moorman who used to kick punts into corner of 20 yard zone and have it go out of bounds.  They had it so good by a player in a tough stadium to kick in they were spoiled.

56 minutes ago, Sammy Watkins' Rib said:

I agree. And I wouldn't categorize Allen's "doh" plays as Billsy since they are a direct byproduct of Allen's gunslinger mentality. The last gunslinger of a QB we had was Kelly and those teams were not "Billsy" as I recall.

Fitzpatrick was a gunslinger as well making a lot of plays he shouldn't have and was more successful down a stretch than his mechanics would indicate.  Like Allen he sometimes did not know when he should take a risk and when he shouldn't.  The key to coaching is to make players understand when to take risks and when not to with breaking spirit of player.  Personally I think Allen is a stallion who is hard to break.

Great summary. I would add...

• Lee Smith was the first TE to catch a pass today. Sweeney and Knox have to catch those balls. Period.
  • Duke's the *****. Hopefully he stays humble and just keeps ballin'.
  • Loved Brown rippin' McKenzie in the huddle. Vets need to teach the youngin's like that.
  • You mentioned the calls against Milano, but what about the hold called on Ford (when he got injured), I saw NOTHING at all - and Gore had just run for a first down. That was terrible.
  • I think Bozo is fine... not sure what all the fuss is about.
  • Don't QB sneak with needing almost 2 yards (that was dumb).
  • 5 minutes to go and 2 incomplete PASSES - that was not smart. Should have been run, run. pass (maybe) in that situation
  • Vrabel's an idiot for sending out the FG unit down 7 from 53 yards away after missing 3 prior (WTF was he thinking!!!??)
  • Henry is a great back. I respect him. Almost every time, 2 extra yards at the end of his runs.
  • The OL was REALLY impressive today. Really impressive. 
  • I don't know if y'all have noticed, but the "soft spot" in the Bills defense is right in the middle of the field. There are some plays where no one is around the offensive guy (maybe that's by design, and they are willing to get beat there), but I've noticed it all year. Something they should address.
  • So excited about this team. Loved Mafia invading Tenn. Should probably keep it up and invade every stadium. Someone start a gofundme page for bills fans that want to go to visiting stadiums. I would contribute.

Go Bills.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

9 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Fitzpatrick was a gunslinger as well making a lot of plays he shouldn't have and was more successful down a stretch than his mechanics would indicate.  Like Allen he sometimes did not know when he should take a risk and when he shouldn't.  The key to coaching is to make players understand when to take risks and when not to with breaking spirit of player.  Personally I think Allen is a stallion who is hard to break.

Fitz had some of that mentality but was missing the tools/gun. 

Allen has the gun and is even more aggressive than Fitzpatrick.

1 hour ago, Fixxxer said:

Kudos to the next man up. This team is well coached.

Duke Williams, taking his opportunity and making the best of it, maybe solidifying that dreaded third WR position for this team.

Maurice Alexander, filling in for Matt Milano and Corey Thompson. He's the third guy on the depth chart and though possibly he wasn't perfect the defense didn't miss a beat.

Ryan Bates, filling in for Cody Ford at RT, I have a feeling this rookie player will finish the year starting at RT (maybe I'm crazy)

Feliciano filling in for Mitch Morse., keep practicing those shotgun snaps, I was expecting one flying over Allen's head today.

You forgot Long at guard. On the put away drive Long was knocking people out on those runs. I have to say he impressed me more than Cody has at guard during run plays. 

Feliciano was smashing  people at center and looking comfortable there much more so than I expected. He is more physical versus Morse being more finesse.

This team did a great job of evaluating OL depth talent this year. 

• Like (+1) 5

7 hours ago, Virgil said:

If he hadn't done it every single week this season, it wouldn't be the same issue.  It's not about the interception, it's the situation he throws them in.  If he threw one after misreading coverage, overthrew someone, or a ball was tipped, it wouldn't be mentioned at all from me.

It's the scramble, while about to get sacked, throwing into coverage that makes it annoying and needs to be cleaned up

Do yourself a favor and look at the video of the interception.  This one was on Yeldon. Looks like it was his ball and he stopped on his route. Then stopped as if to avoid being hit by the ball. Great post once again.

4 hours ago, Locomark said:

You forgot Long at guard. On the put away drive Long was knocking people out on those runs. I have to say he impressed me more than Cody has at guard during run plays. 

Feliciano was smashing  people at center and looking comfortable there much more so than I expected. He is more physical versus Morse being more finesse.

This team did a great job of evaluating OL depth talent this year. 

This absolutely true and huge. Most your average fans don't understand how important this is! Beane obviously does, hell our FO's over the past 20 years couldn't get the 5 starters right alone, our BU's are better than most teams #1's right now. I'm a bit down on Ford right now at tackle though, Allen called out weak coverage on his side and still let his man fly by him untouched for a big sack on Allen. He's our weakest link right now on the Oline, coaching wants this guy to start which I get but maybe he needs more time or switch to guard until he get's better? This cannot happen anymore or more turnovers and sacks will continue. 

Edited by Real McCoy

I’d like to see the punter hang em inside the 20 instead of booming them through the endzone. But I guess the way the defense is playing I’ll take the first and 10 from the 20. Also I agree worst call of the day was that QB sneak on 4th and 2, had me yelling at the TV. All in all enjoying this one. Can anyone tell me what our starting Oline was at the end of the game? Thanks!

12 minutes ago, BrainwashedBillsFan said:

I’d like to see the punter hang em inside the 20 instead of booming them through the endzone. But I guess the way the defense is playing I’ll take the first and 10 from the 20. Also I agree worst call of the day was that QB sneak on 4th and 2, had me yelling at the TV. All in all enjoying this one. Can anyone tell me what our starting Oline was at the end of the game? Thanks!

Dawkins-Spain-Feliciano-Long-Bates

• Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

Bonus Points:

-Anyone see Brown absolutely light McKenzie up in the Huddle on the illegal substitution penalty?

YES! I saw this. It was actually refreshing to see. A player holding another player accountable. And on the next play McKenzie has a huge first down. John Brown is hungry and he wants to win. 

• Awesome! (+1) 2

9 hours ago, Virgil said:

"They fell for the old banana in the tailpipe!"  Hahahaha

Is it me, or does it feel like the Bengals and Titans are in our division with as much as we play them?  Between the Bills fans representing so strongly and how familiar the Titans roster feels to me, it's almost like looking into a mirror from two years ago from when TT was running the show.  Listen, there is a lot to talk about from this game.  However, many points are quick blurbs and I'm going to do my best.  

1 - Allen - I have to agree with Allen's post game assessment that this was his best overall game as a pro.  I counted his in-completions in the first half and he didn't have one that wasn't either a throw away or a drop.  That's right, he was pretty much perfect.  However, he looked inside and found his inner Billsy and made the throw we've all come to know and expect.  The pick was huge in this defensive battle and it felt like it had an impact on our defense on the next drive.  But, to his credit and what we've also come to expect, he shrugged it off not only made the game winning drive, he also made the game sealing drive.  I want so badly to celebrate him as a QB in this game, and I know it's hard for him to not want to make the big play, but he also has to trust his defense.  If he doesn't throw that pick, I don't think the team needs the game winning drive.  If he plays that was last week against the Patriots, I think we win that game.  He has to understand the impact he has on the game both ways.  But again, it was one mistake in an otherwise perfect day.  I think he was over 70% completion percentage?  Not only that, but to see him post game with Duke was huge.  His highlight play for me was the pump fake while scrambling that created space for the pass that Sweeney dropped.  Just great situational awareness.

Great writeup as often, Virgil.

One thing I don't think I've seen anyone mention that really stood out in my mind and deserves some time, was the defensive series at the very end of the 3Q/start of the 4th.  This was after a COP by punt.

I'm not sure I have ever seen anything like it from any Bills defense since the SB years.  To recap, the Bills D gave up a 57 yd pass play, mostly YAC.  On the next play, they gave up a 6 yd Henry run to put the Titans on the 15.  At that point, I pretty much feel if we give up 3 points it's a win.

Bills D then proceeded to play 8 snaps, EIGHT FREAKIN SNAPS, inside or near the Redzone.  Let your mind wrap around that.  Eight freakin' snaps. 

Finally the Titans have 4th down and  go to kick a FG - a chip shot from the 15 yd line. OK 3 points - and we blocked it.  

We won the game right there.  They're professionals, they were still fighting, but we had them and they knew it.

That said and hard as our D played - that impressive red zone stand included 2 penalties for false start, a penalty for offensive holding, and the illegal forward pass.  Anyone care to make odds that we get those calls against certain other teams?  Yeah, I thought not.  So whichever defender it was who talked about plays they missed and needing to get better - yes, there were serious mistakes on the D side, too.  Don't let the focus on Allen blind us to that.  But this team is starting to feel different to me.    Grittier.  Tougher.  More focused.

Game ball to the D, from me.

I suppose we'll never know, but on that Allen INTI believe there was something very hinky going on with the route running.  I'll await the all-22, but in truth I'm not good enough to sort what it was intended to be, just to see that what it turned out to be was probably Not That Thing.  No excuse - Allen should not have made that tempting throw over the middle whether or not Yeldon keeps running and catches it because that's a dangerous ball - bobble tip or slip (or stop) and it's going to the wrong jersey.  But I can not imagine even Daboll designing routes to look like that.

9 minutes ago, youngjebrey said:

YES! I saw this. It was actually refreshing to see. A player holding another player accountable. And on the next play McKenzie has a huge first down. John Brown is hungry and he wants to win. 

Brown is a huge difference in the WR room.  It's clear he has everyone's respect, he's helpful to everyone, and now we see he'll hold them to account.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 4