A Few Thoughts about the Titans Game, in no particular order

Virgil

10 minutes ago, Shaw66 said:

5-1?  Did I miss a win somewhere?

I don't agree about Bojo.   He absolutely boomed a punt that flew to the end zone.  He gave his teammates no opportunity to down the ball inside the 20.   He hasn't shown me the finesse you've like your punter to have. 

I'm not sure what Alexander was thinking, but he MAY have been thinking that that play was going to go for more than 15 yards - there was a lot of open field, and the 15-yard penalty may have been a bargain. 

I think the horse collar was 100% a savvy veteran move by Alexander. It looked like that was about to pop and he had no way of knowing poyer was coming to help. If he knew they were all keying inside he probably thought he had no choice. 

I immediately remarked to my wife that he knew full well what he was doing there.... and I was ok with it 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 2

1 minute ago, CincyBillsFan said:

I'm going to keep beating this dead horse until it's hamburger but over on the Allen Report Card thread is a video that convinced me the INT was NOT on Allen.  It was an aggressive but great throw that had Yeldon NOT stopped on his route he would have caught the ball and the BIll's would have converted a 3rd & long.

I bet in film study the Bills staff will agree with this assessment.  In fact I suspect they will want Allen to continue making that throw as it will most often lead to big plays then INT's.  It's fair to criticize Allen when he plays hero ball.  But that pass was NOT an example of Hero ball.  It was more an example that our receivers are not as smooth as they need to be during a QB scramble.

I will be very happy for you to prove this point.  Because like I said, even though SOME people want to cherry pick comments?, this was his best game to me

6 minutes ago, RiotAct said:

We’re being outscored 27-10 in the 3rd quarter so far... just looked up the boxscores from the first five weeks.

We've given up 40% of our total points scored against us in the 3rd quarter.  Interesting

Just now, Virgil said:

I will be very happy for you to prove this point.  Because like I said, even though SOME people want to cherry pick comments?, this was his best game to me

Go to page 1 of the Allen Report Card thread and watch the video.  And it's not just Yeldon stopping on his route but Beasley and Knox also look lost out there.  The Bills skill players must do better on the scramble drill.

Go to page 1 of the Allen Report Card thread and watch the video.  And it's not just Yeldon stopping on his route but Beasley and Knox also look lost out there.  The Bills skill players must do better on the scramble drill.

If Yeldon finished that play it’s simply an incompletion for maybe even a tough catch. He HAS to understand the type of qb he has. He looked like he gave up because he saw pressure in joshes face. 

I'll have to watch it in real time.  I see what you mean.  I think he was throwing it at Beasley though.  I'm not sure why Yeldon pulled up at the last second, but I still don't believe Yeldon would've got to that ball

Just now, Virgil said:

I'll have to watch it in real time.  I see what you mean.  I think he was throwing it at Beasley though.  I'm not sure why Yeldon pulled up at the last second, but I still don't believe Yeldon would've got to that ball

Didn’t need to get it. Just needed to be a factor and play through the whistle. He stopped once he saw somebody in Allen’s face 

Good write up Virgil! If I remember right it was a 4th and 2 and I was puzzled that they tried the sneak! Big difference of just one yard in that situation but Allen nearly pulled it off!! This was his best game as a pro! He’s so competitive that it is contrary to his nature to slide or throw a pass away!!

Just now, Virgil said:

I would love to be a fly in the film study room for that play.  But at the very least it's fair to say that this was not like the INT's last week.  It sure looks to me like the receivers were confused.  For example it didn't help that Knox brought his cover guy into the area - like he did last week on Allen's 3rd INT. 

When watching other games featuring mobile QB's the receivers seem to do a much better job of getting open during the scramble drill then the Bills guys do.  At times it looks like all the Bills cluster together like a little kids soccer game.  Part of the problem I suspect is that with Foster out, there isn't a lot of speed out there to stretch the field. 

On a positive note this is a very fixable problem.  I bet they work on it during the bye week.  With Allen's ability to break containment the Bills should be seeing more big plays here.

• Like (+1) 2

Just now, CincyBillsFan said:

I would love to be a fly in the film study room for that play.  But at the very least it's fair to say that this was not like the INT's last week.  It sure looks to me like the receivers were confused.  For example it didn't help that Knox brought his cover guy into the area - like he did last week on Allen's 3rd INT. 

When watching other games featuring mobile QB's the receivers seem to do a much better job of getting open during the scramble drill then the Bills guys do.  At times it looks like all the Bills cluster together like a little kids soccer game.  Part of the problem I suspect is that with Foster out, there isn't a lot of speed out there to stretch the field. 

On a positive note this is a very fixable problem.  I bet they work on it during the bye week.  With Allen's ability to break containment the Bills should be seeing more big plays here.

Like I said in another thread, I'll stop bringing it up as an issue once he has a few games where he doesn't throw THAT interception.  Throwing into coverage, while on the run escaping a sack, where a Bill doesn't even get a fingertip on it.  

All other Ints, I'm good.  It's that specific throw that he has to stop making every single week

Just now, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Was anything mentioned about what happened with Allen's right thumb?  The announcers thought he hurt it, I thought he may have got a cut on it?

They talked about it for a second and then he seemed fine, so it wasn't talked about again.

4 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

Was anything mentioned about what happened with Allen's right thumb?  The announcers thought he hurt it, I thought he may have got a cut on it?

The way he was tugging at his hand, it looked like a jammed finger. 

5 minutes ago, Virgil said:

They talked about it for a second and then he seemed fine, so it wasn't talked about again.

Thought maybe post game there was some comment made about it.

1 minute ago, Vertig0 said:

The way he was tugging at his hand, it looked like a jammed finger. 

One shot they showed, looked like he was putting pressure on the side of it with a cloth under, made me think he was putting pressure to stop bleeding, that made me think cut??

35 minutes ago, Virgil said:

1 - Allen - However, he looked inside and found his inner Billsy and made the throw we've all come to know and expect.  

2 - Duke -  You could see how hyped he was to be in the game and caught all 5 of his targets. 

Great review except for two things:

1. These are the new Bills and time to drop the term "Billsy".  We should use a new term and should name it after you.  Example of use: The Bills did a Virgil.  That way on board we can say "We (since many posters use term we for Bills) need to get rid of the Virgils".
  2. Five targets?  Film I watch has him catching only 4 balls, all balls when he was targeted.  NFL game book PDF, only thing worth looking at NFL site anymore with all of the ads repeated ad nauseam, has him targeted for 4, catching 4 for 29 yards.

2 minutes ago, Ed_Formerly_of_Roch said:

One shot they showed, looked like he was putting pressure on the side of it with a cloth under, made me think he was putting pressure to stop bleeding, that made me think cut??

Yep. I'm thinking of the same shot. I viewed it more as if he jammed the thumb and was putting pressure on it and pulling the thumb outwards to 'unjam' it, which a lot of people do as an immediate reaction. Definitely could have been a cut though... 

Oh well, no injury news is good news!! 

6 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Great review except for two things:

1. These are the new Bills and time to drop the term "Billsy".  We should use a new term and should name it after you.  Example of use: The Bills did a Virgil.  That way on board we can say "We (since many posters use term we for Bills) need to get rid of the Virgils".
  2. Five targets?  Film I watch has him catching only 4 balls, all balls when he was targeted.  NFL game book PDF, only thing worth looking at NFL site anymore with all of the ads repeated ad nauseam, has him targeted for 4, catching 4 for 29 yards.

1 - I would be honored.  But I’m also not abandoning the word until this season ends in playoffs. If it does and shows this team has truly turned the page, we are who we thought they were. 

2 - That’s on me.  One of the announcers said he was 5 for 5 and I didn’t validate it.  I try not to look at the stats when I write these.  I’ll look and edit if true