THE ROCKPILE REVIEW - Titans Meet the New Bills

Shaw66

8 minutes ago, Virgil said:

I have a string of people trying to blame Yeldon for it. I can't say that for certain watching it again, but I see what they are trying to say.  

I will keep bring up those INT's until he has a few games where he doesn't make them.  I 100% agree with you that this particular type of interception is his main issue.  If that ball was contested at all, then I'd be okay. 

Either way, some people can't handle anything negative said about their boy.  I was in the church of Tyrod, so I get it.

To be clear it's not about not wanting to hear anything negative about Allen.  It's about unfairly claiming that today's INT was a terrible decision & throw and that it was another example of Allen playing hero ball to the detriment of his team.  

Hell, I screamed at the TV "why did you throw that ball Allen"!  I was pissed off and couldn't believe Allen had made that kind of mistake again.  But then after watching the video it clearly was not the bad pass I though it was watching the game in real time. 

In fact I want Allen throwing that pass every time he has the opportunity.  IMO, what the BIlls need to do is better execute their pass patterns on scramble drills.

3 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

To be clear it's not about not wanting to hear anything negative about Allen.  It's about unfairly claiming that today's INT was a terrible decision & throw and that it was another example of Allen playing hero ball to the detriment of his team.  

Hell, I screamed at the TV "why did you throw that ball Allen"!  I was pissed off and couldn't believe Allen had made that kind of mistake again.  But then after watching the video it clearly was not the bad pass I though it was watching the game in real time. 

In fact I want Allen throwing that pass every time he has the opportunity.  IMO, what the BIlls need to do is better execute their pass patterns on scramble drills.

Gotta understand who’s behind center. Have to play through the whistle for big #17 

it also was an ill advised throw.... but coulda been a simple incompletion with a little awareness and hustle. 

Edited by Stank_Nasty

1 minute ago, Stank_Nasty said:

Gotta understand who’s behind center. Have to play through the whistle for big #17 

it also was an ill advised throw.... but coulda been a simple incompletion with a little awareness and hustle. 

Fair enough.  But you're point on knowing your QB is exactly right.  The Bills receivers need to be among the best in the league in the scramble drill.  Right now they look confused out there when Allen breaks out of the pocket.  That needs to change NOW.

I've got a hunch that Singleterry is going to be an explosive game breaker n these types of situations.  I can't wait until he gets back.

• Like (+1) 1

Buffalo goes into the bye at 4 - 1 and all of the sudden the rest of the league doesn't look that formidable. Are we seeing the process begining to take hold? The Bills are far from playing their best game with a young and talented QB playing in only his 16th start.

Thanks Shaw, Virgil for great thoughts/ review, awesome stuff guys.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I’ve bought the process.   It’s always about the next play, and the Bills always are prepared for the next play.  I was calm when the Bills were down 16-0 to the Jets.  I was calm when they lost the lead to the Bengals.  I was calm when Allen was launching those stinkers against the Pats.  I was calm when the Titans tied the game.  I was calm because I knew the Bills were calm.  If they’re calm, why should I worry?

OMG!!!  I have process-itis too!!!

7 hours ago, Figster said:

Buffalo goes into the bye at 4 - 1 and all of the sudden the rest of the league doesn't look that formidable. Are we seeing the process begining to take hold? The Bills are far from playing their best game with a young and talented QB playing in only his 16th start.

Thanks Shaw, Virgil for great thoughts/ review, awesome stuff guys.

Bold is an interesting point. Allen for sure, but many other young guys too.  Oliver, Milano , Edmunds, Ford, Bates, Singletary, Wallace, Duke.  These guys and the team are not as good as they are going to be.  

• Like (+1) 2

Funny choice of quarterback for a ball-control offense.

I wonder if the Bills would start Bates if they think he's better than Ford. You look foolish starting a guy who was an UDFA over your high-second round pick, that's the thing. They did it by promoting Duke over Zay Jones, but not until it was a glaringly obvious move. 

“Oh, by the way, in the first five weeks of the season, the Bills defense, the one that had so much trouble stopping the run consistently in 2018, has kept the likes of Le’Veon Bell, Saquon Barkley and Derrick Henry under control.   Pretty good stuff.”

This ten times over! When our D was rated so highly last year, the games where we have 200+ yards rushing still bothered me. We’re not doing that this year and it’s so great to see!

Good review....  

A few observations of my own.

1. I am a believer in this D, but can not play for 17-13 games, week after week.  Bills got away with an obvious facemask that resulted in a missed fg.  A TD called back too and they got other breaks, no if ands or buts.  Tennessee receivers had drops too, reminiscent of Bills that I often complain needing to make that tough catch.  At least 2-3 3rd & 3-5's where the receiver dropped a ball (albeit good D).

2. The int was on Yeldon, as JA is rolling that direction under pressure and he is running that way.  You don't just stop.  The slow motion replay posted conclusive imo.

3. Separation by receivers is still an issue.

4. Duke is a big body, which is exactly what is needed.  The TD was so open and an easy play that should be there multiple times a game.  Yes only 4 catches, but knew they were throwing to him and he was going to catch it.

5. Sorry but this team needs to score more and play calling still suspect.  Can't take penalties on 3rd & 2 and create 3rd & 7.  Never seems to be a call those yardages to make a first down.  Usually JA needs to break containment or improvise.   

6. Again 3rd quarter malaise.

16 minutes ago, finn said:

I wonder if the Bills would start Bates if they think he's better than Ford. You look foolish starting a guy who was an UDFA over your high-second round pick, that's the thing. They did it by promoting Duke over Zay Jones, but not until it was a glaringly obvious move. 

Don't forget about Nsekhe. I think they were being very cautious with his knee yesterday so he should be good to go in a couple weeks. Either way, we gotta be pleased with how Bates looked. Can never have enough O-line depth. 

11 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

The Rockpile Review – by Shaw66

1.  Well, I did get excited once in the Titans game: when Duke Williams scored.  I’ll admit it, I’m a sucker for a good story, and Duke’s is a good story.  Here’s      a guy with a lot of talent whose life was, at least by all reports, headed in the wrong direction.  His football career was in the tank.  Then he decided to get    himself back on track and to work his way onto an NFL roster.   Saturday, he was added to the Bills’ roster, and Sunday he caught first NFL TD pass. 

Welcome to the NFL, Duke!  Let’s see more of that in the weeks and years to come.

Great writing, Shaw.

Still early, and not an exact match, but definitely some parallels between Duke Williams and Fred Jackson. Let's hope this is the start of something beautiful!

3 minutes ago, Bleed Bills Blue said:

Great writing, Shaw.

Still early, and not an exact match, but definitely some parallels between Duke Williams and Fred Jackson. Let's hope this is the start of something beautiful!

WOW!!!  On the money!   Duke is a Fred Jackson story.   

Yes, let's hope ten years from now we're talking about Duke like we talk about Fred.  

34 minutes ago, finn said:

finn -

I have reactions to both of these excellent comments.  

Ball control offense.   That is clearly what the Bills are playing.   They want to run, and they want an excellent short passing game.   But I think that's just what they're running now, because it's at the core of good football.    Good football is what McDermott is all about, and you can't have a good football team if you don't regularly control the football.   It shows up in time of possession, it shows up in third down stats.   If you control the ball you're always in the game, and McDermott wants always to be able to control the ball. 

But I think Daboll and McDermott will take anything that they can.   They don't have great deep threats and they don't have a great offensive line, so they aren't going to focus on a big-time, explosive offense.   As the protection improves, and when the next piece (a serious deep threat) arrives, the offense will open up.  

They know what they have in Allen, but just like the offense as a whole, the QB has to learn to run a ball control offense before they work seriously on his obvious abilities as a big-play thrower.   

In other words, all in good time.   Allen is going to be throwing footballs in Buffalo for the next 15 years, and there's plenty of time for him to take advantage of all his skills.   I've been saying all along next year will be his true break out year, and three years from now he will be a recognized star in the league.   He's just too good. 

As for Bates, I actually have wondered about that.  I don't think either Beane or McDermott worry about looking foolish.   If Bates already is a starting caliber tackle, they look brilliant, not foolish, for having acquired an undrafted rookie who is a quality starter.  Ford is unlikely to be a bust - there's nothing foolish about having the right side of your line be Ford and Bates for the next five years.   McDermott's message is always clear - it's a competition, and the guys who perform the best play.   I don't think they waited on Duke because they wanted to give Zay every chance.   They waited on him because for some reasons that I don't know he wasn't ready.   After all, they didn't wait on Bates - they didn't stick him on the practice squad.  They just make decisions about the best 53.   

And Duke not being ready showed up yesterday.   He had a procedure penalty.  Multiple plays someone had to tell him where to go.   Maybe he's just been slow learning all the complexity that they expect him to have.  

• Like (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Good review....  

A few observations of my own.

1. I am a believer in this D, but can not play for 17-13 games, week after week.  Bills got away with an obvious facemask that resulted in a missed fg.  A TD called back too and they got other breaks, no if ands or buts.  Tennessee receivers had drops too, reminiscent of Bills that I often complain needing to make that tough catch.  At least 2-3 3rd & 3-5's where the receiver dropped a ball (albeit good D).

2. The int was on Yeldon, as JA is rolling that direction under pressure and he is running that way.  You don't just stop.  The slow motion replay posted conclusive imo.

3. Separation by receivers is still an issue.

4. Duke is a big body, which is exactly what is needed.  The TD was so open and an easy play that should be there multiple times a game.  Yes only 4 catches, but knew they were throwing to him and he was going to catch it.

5. Sorry but this team needs to score more and play calling still suspect.  Can't take penalties on 3rd & 2 and create 3rd & 7.  Never seems to be a call those yardages to make a first down.  Usually JA needs to break containment or improvise.   

6. Again 3rd quarter malaise.

there were horrendous drive killing calls and non-calls on both sides. this is a silly point to me.

my observations of you observations is you sorta piss and moan quite a bit. geez man.

11 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

there were horrendous drive killing calls and non-calls on both sides. this is a silly point to me.

my observations of you observations is you sorta piss and moan quite a bit. geez man.

I like to be entertained, so yes I want 28+ points from the Offense on a regular basis. 

The Bills have beaten 0-4 Jets, 0-5 Bengals & two win teams NYG & Tennessee.  I'm happy with the record, just not a fan that is satisfied with the offense & lack of scoring.    

Just now, Billsfan1972 said:

I like to be entertained, so yes I want 28+ points from the Offense on a regular basis. 

The Bills have beaten 0-4 Jets, 0-5 Bengals & two win teams NYG & Tennessee.  I'm happy with the record, just not a fan that is satisfied with the offense & lack of scoring.    

right. i'm not satisfied either I just don't consistently bring up all the negatives. seems like crappy way to try and enjoy a good start.