Duke WIlliams in relation to Kelvin Benjamin

Got to thinking about this after the game

There were a lot of for's and against on Duke Williams prior to his game today (and yes its one game...just throwing that out there)

I wonder just how much of the "against" came from fears of the experiment with Kelvin.......they are both big physical guys....they are both not burners

To me this just goes to show you how you really cannot stereo type players

I think back to all the times Kelvin had a ball right there to make a play.....and how many times he just didnt make it....I feel like if you gave Duke those same opportunities he WOULD make most of them because he simply catches the ball

Thoughts?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

I never once thought of KB when I watched dukes highlights from the cfl or in the offseason 

this dude has displayed vice grip hands for the most part and is 100x better shape. Also exhibits blocking prowess and toughness KB never did. I see no similarities other than less than ideal speed 

Edited by Stank_Nasty
  • Like (+1) 5
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 3

I don't see any similarities, other than size. 

Benjaman was slow, lazy and uncompetitive.     Duke works hard an is uber-competitive when the ball is in the air.     

Adding a guy who can run slants and high point the ball gives this offense a big, big lift...

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

Just now, John from Riverside said:

There were a lot of for's and against on Duke Williams prior to his game today (and yes its one game...just throwing that out there)

I wonder just how much of the "against" came from fears of the experiment with Kelvin.......they are both big physical guys....they are both not burners

I think back to all the times Kelvin had a ball right there to make a play.....and how many times he just didnt make it....I feel like if you gave Duke those same opportunities he WOULD make most of them because he simply catches the ball

Thoughts?

I couldn’t care less about a guy like KB that decided not to be a football player any longer in evaluating a new guy.

I think the bigger hang up is that the kid was a UDFA that washed out of the league, went to the CFL, had limited interest, cleared waivers to the practice squad etc... for a reason 

duke has a ton to prove and speed will be a major challenge as a week in and week out player. All you can do is root for him and hope he’s the exception.

• Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, Stank_Nasty said:

I never once thought of KB when I watched dukes highlights from the cfl or in the offseason 

this dude has displayed vice grip hands for the most part and is 100x better shape. Also exhibits blocking prowess and toughness KB never did. I see little similarities. 

There are 2 similarities:

• Both were signed to be WRs by Bills
  • Both caught at least one TD in Bank of Amerika Stadium.
  • Haha (+1) 1

5 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

I couldn’t care less about a guy like KB that decided not to be a football player any longer in evaluating a new guy.

I think the bigger hang up is that the kid was a UDFA that washed out of the league, went to the CFL, had limited interest, cleared waivers to the practice squad etc... for a reason 

duke has a ton to prove and speed will be a major challenge as a week in and week out player. All you can do is root for him and hope he’s the exception.

Agree -- But a game-winning TD is a helluva start! :beer:

8 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

I think we should never mention Kelvin Benj... That guy anymore and forget about him. Who cares, the Bills have Duke Williams and you insult the guy by putting that slobs name in the title along side him.

I agree. Lets move forward everyone.  I don't want to hear Zay, Kelvin or Tyrod or any other player that didn't pan out. Its all about positivity and the future. We're 4-1 and we haven't even played a complete game yet.....

19 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

Thoughts?

I don’t think Benjamin has anything to do with it.  The Bills fans saw a bigger WR who had A good college career, awesome highlights from CFL, and some good production in preseason and wanted more.

If anything to case against Duke was made by the media who said he couldn’t get separation 

53 minutes ago, Lurker said:

Benjaman was slow, lazy and uncompetitive.     Duke works hard an is uber-competitive when the ball is in the air.     

Adding a guy who can run slants and high point the ball gives this offense a big, big lift...

Look at how hard Williams has worked getting to this point. Despite being labled slow and a longshot, he has persevered the hard way. Benjamin became a 1st round after thought and he was either too lazy, washed up or trying to play with ability that has since betrayed him. Williams competitiveness and eagerness are impressive.

Edited by Rocket94

Just suppose on this for a bit....,  if we had had Duke all of last season  and this season,  just a little supposition is all. Such a thought could make you wonder, couldn’t it ?

Go Bills!!!

1 hour ago, Lurker said:

I'm glad they brought him up and I'm simultaneously more mad they didn't keep him from the start after the showing in preseason. 

I'll admit I was wrong about the Duke.  I loved that we signed him and his story is inspiring but at camp I just didn't see him getting separation and figured he was getting cut.

His TD route was perfect, and he sure got himself open plenty of times today.  So glad to see this guy achieving his dream.