Is Our Head Coach Taking These Games Too Lightly?

2 hours ago, Buffaloflash said:

And I make this topic statement, because not to dwell on past games coaching decisions,but on today's game coaching decision.

I'm watching Green Bay with 44 sec.left in the half,and Green Bay's coach is calling plays as if they're down 17 points instead of leading 17 to nothing.Green Bay is trying to close this game out in the first half!

Now,I reflect on us today, with the exact same 44 sec, to the half and we throw a short pass for two yards and the next play hasn't even setup yet with time on the clock and we're heading to the locker room with a 7 to nothing lead.

I would like our coaches to have a little more aggressive mindset in these remaining games going forward!

Do you see any difference in the 2 QB's involved?

Josh was coming off a near concussion.  I knew the coaches were going to take it slow and conservative. I had no problem with this particular halftime decision. I do have some concerns with McD not going for a knockout blow. But hopefully as JA improves these moments will come.

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, Buffaloflash said:

Your inane OP?

Yeah,OK

McDermott is a very detail-oriented coach who often comments on how hard it is to win in the NFL. His preparation of his players is exemplary.....then there is the process and culture he has built.

So, yes, I stand by my comment.....your OP was inane and still is inane.

I agree w OP.  I overheard McD telling the players "Eff the film breakdown, come hit this chron w me dog!".

Also, duke had trouble getting onto the active roster because he was stretching at practice while daboll and zay laughed at him and said "look at this fool stretching, only thing we stretching out here is our mouths to DRINK THIS PURP".

and then everyone clapped.

On 10/7/2019 at 8:21 AM, BuffaninATL said:

McDermott is a very detail-oriented coach who often comments on how hard it is to win in the NFL. His preparation of his players is exemplary.....then there is the process and culture he has built.

So, yes, I stand by my comment.....your OP was inane and still is inane.

Oh,So you thought I changed my position?I didn't!

On 10/6/2019 at 5:22 PM, Buffaloflash said:

And I make this topic statement, because not to dwell on past games coaching decisions,but on today's game coaching decision.

I'm watching Green Bay with 44 sec.left in the half,and Green Bay's coach is calling plays as if they're down 17 points instead of leading 17 to nothing.Green Bay is trying to close this game out in the first half!

Now,I reflect on us today, with the exact same 44 sec, to the half and we throw a short pass for two yards and the next play hasn't even setup yet with time on the clock and we're heading to the locker room with a 7 to nothing lead.

I would like our coaches to have a little more aggressive mindset in these remaining games going forward!

I think the problem was your launch angle.  You got good speed coming down the ramp but you launched at maybe 15 degrees.  And to make matters worse you pushed the nose down early.  I think if you try it again next weekend and launch at 45 degrees and keep your chin up, you'll clear the sidewalk, hit the table right on the money, and most importantly land in the grass with total consciousness.  Get right back on the horse buddy!!

• Awesome! (+1) 1

On 10/6/2019 at 6:22 PM, Buffaloflash said:

That thought didn't cross my mind in this game, but I get what you mean.    At times I have thought McDermott was being too conservative and other times too aggressive.

I would rather beat a team as soon as possible rather than allow them to hang on till the last drive in the fourth quarter ala Dick Jauron.    But you are going to get flak for that opinion because the Bills have been winning.   Most fans forgive and overlook all the shortcomings as long as the score ends up in your favor - even if you could have done a better job.

If this team is ever going to become truly dominant (which I hope is the goal) then they will have to keep their foot on the gas when the opportunity is there and things are going their way.   New England is very good at doing that.  I believe that mentality has helped them achieve the greatness they have during the Brady/Belichick era.

The Bills are winning, but there is a hell of a lot of room for improvement in coaching.    I think McDermott has room for improvement in his end of quarter decision making as well as other situations.    The Bills have left opportunities on the field by choice a number of times.   They have gotten away with it this year for the most part.  That won't always be the case, especially in close games decided by one score.

Part of McDermott's process should be to improve in those situations too - even if the team is winning games.   The goal should be to become dominant and run your opponents over like a bulldozer on offense and defense all game long.   After all, isn't that what the process is about?   Every player/coach/staff member being sharp mentally, making the best decision and executing as perfectly as possible on each and every play - because the end result is ultimately out of your control?  Just execute the next play to perfection if you can.  That is what the process is about.

I am certainly happy with the wins and give the coach the credit he is owed for his part in achieving them.   That doesn't mean he has no room for improvement.  He definitely does have room and is hopefully practicing what he preaches.   I think he probably is.  Although I wonder if anyone holds him accountable for it when they win a game.   I doubt many people in the organization (including owners) criticize much as long as the Bills win.    It would be a good question for reporters to hit Beane and McDermott with.

• Like (+1) 1