Josh Allen - week FIVE report card

rayray808

Simple fixes are not throwing off back foot, when plays break down throw it away and slide before contact. 

Listening to this radio show in Chicago on 670 the score. They are talking about who would you rather have Trubisky or Allen and everyone is choosing Trubisky. 

I would choose Allen over Trubisky 10 out of 10 times.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/6/2019 at 2:59 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

B+ . The INT pass probably should not have been thrown but the WR's did him no favors on that scramble drill.

9 implementations and 3 were throw aways and two were drops.  I didn't see any wildly inaccurate passes all day.  Perhaps the only one was a low ball to Beasley but he caught it.

Played in control most of the game. Played a little skittish when running but that is ok.  Protected the ball in the face of a good pass rush.

What a lot of folks missed on that int was also that the Titans all-pro safety Byard who was in man coverage on Yeldon at mid-field, saw Beasley beating his man read Allen's eyes and pealed off his man to undercut the route.

It was a heck of a defensive play reading Josh's eyes and diagnosing where he was going to go with the ball.

We have to remind ourselves that sometimes there are really good players on the other side of the LOS and it is not just Josh throwing bullets into the numbers on the wrong jerseys. It was a very good defensive play and why that safety is the highest paid safety in the NFL.

I can go with it was a dangerous place to throw the ball, or that the safer play would have been to throw it away, but it was not some terribly errant pass just a bad read by Josh on either Beasley continuing across the field, or Yeldon being a bit more aggressive - looked like he had a better angle on the pass than the Titans safety and he just stopped.

Could be that Beasley and Yeldon each were yielding to the other the right-of-way so both just stopped.

The Bills would be well served over the break to work out some basic route rules with their receivers so when Josh escapes pressure to extend a play they can break off their routes without being on top of each other or running into each other dragging defenders with them.

Either way, those plays will happen and Allen will learn not to throw into a traffic jam in the middle of the field with an all pro safety there.

Edited by WideNine
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Call_Of_Ktulu said:

Simple fixes are not throwing off back foot, when plays break down throw it away and slide before contact. 

Listening to this radio show in Chicago on 670 the score. They are talking about who would you rather have Trubisky or Allen and everyone is choosing Trubisky. 

I would choose Allen over Trubisky 10 out of 10 times.

That is ridiculous  Chicago has to hide Trubisky with endless bubble screens and manufactured passing  He's just as raw as Josh but without the size/strength/arm talent  Also Trubisky cant handle the playbook and 3 years in they are limited to what they cant give him.  Only thing standing in Josh's was is the decision making under duress

3 hours ago, dakrider said:

He had Knox open for a moment but then he had to avoid the rush.  I think its pretty apparent he was throwing to Yeldon who was running when he began the throw,  he might not have been able to catch it but he probably would have got a hand on it at least.

He had a guy right in his face as well and didn't get off a great pass either.  Allen can't predict exactly where his guy will go on a play like that.  I think in fairness the pass wasn't as bad as it looked initially but still a QB int.  But on a play like that you would think someone would get more open too.  

To beat the topic to death, here's the other angle on the play.  Titans had the first read covered well, and Allen should have moved off sooner.  But he still had Knox open for a while.  Actually after looking at this 1,000 times, I'm now placing a bit more blame on Knox.  He needed to cut off his pattern and settle in the soft zone that was empty, because Beasley cleared out the safety.  This is a play where Gronk has made a killing.

• Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, GG said:

To beat the topic to death, here's the other angle on the play.  Titans had the first read covered well, and Allen should have moved off sooner.  But he still had Knox open for a while.  Actually after looking at this 1,000 times, I'm now placing a bit more blame on Knox.  He needed to cut off his pattern and settle in the soft zone that was empty, because Beasley cleared out the safety.  This is a play where Gronk has made a killing.

Another problem IMO is that NO ONE heads deep when Allen starts to scramble.  I'm surprised at least one of the receivers isn't told to "go" at that moment.  Not only would you drag your cover guy out of the middle but you might take a safety with you.  And if no one covers you it might be a huge play.

I think both Yeldon & Beasley hesitated not wanting to BOTH run into the same space.  You can file that under S##T happens.  If either one had run into that space you probably have a completed pass.

Knox wasn't as open as he looked as #26 was lurking in the area and would have either intercepted the ball or lit Knox up.  As another poster pointed Knox should have sat down in the hole.  With experience that's exactly what he'll do.  We have to remember that not only is he a rookie but as a college TE he had almost no involvement in the passing game.  He is still very RAW.

My takeaway is that Allen made an aggressive but acceptable pass into traffic on 3rd down.  The Bills need to work on their scramble drill is it appears that 4 receivers are all in a 5 yard wide zone between the 40 - 45 yard line.  They have to stretch the field and DB's out once Allen breaks the pocket.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

15 minutes ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Knox wasn't as open as he looked as #26 was lurking in the area and would have either intercepted the ball or lit Knox up.  As another poster pointed Knox should have sat down in the hole.  With experience that's exactly what he'll do.  We have to remember that not only is he a rookie but as a college TE he had almost no involvement in the passing game.  He is still very RAW.

That was my point - there was a very narrow window to throw to Knox as he kept running.  #26 wouldn't have enough time to light up Knox because he was easily 10 yards away when Knox should have received the ball.

Allen's body language suggests he wanted Knox to settle in the spot.  You can see Allen is tempted to go into a throwing motion, but Knox kept running.  I think that's where the play truly broke down.

• Like (+1) 1