Josh Allen - week FIVE report card

rayray808

36 minutes ago, Monty98 said:

What are you talking about?! Josh rolls to his left avoids the sack, the backer comes up for secondary rush help. The sideline isn't an ally in this play, its more likely to result in a non completion or similar pick to last week where the DB comes over the top to pick it. Josh sets his feet and throws to where Yeldon should end up if he keeps running. If Yeldon doesn't stop running across the field its right in his chest. That's not on Allen, that is on Yeldon, and in future scenarios Yeldon will learn that Josh wants him to keep coming.

so you agree its a scramble drill. Yet in scramble drills they roll. And all pass catchers comeBack and roll toward the side of the qb. 
yeldon and the other pass catchers Hesitate when he gets caught up. Regardless. Ball never came out on time. Throw it away. when josh is throwing on time at the top of his drop backs he has looked soo much better. But you just dont throw that ball into that coverage in an scramble drill . Dont make excuses for him. 
i want josh to be the guy. This is on him. Its ok to say it. He makes some awesome plays and then there is these. Its on him.  

• Like (+1) 1

Yeldon lining up outside must have gotten some pointers from Zay before that play....yikes!    That is definitely not on Josh which is exactly what I thought I saw during the game. Both Cole or Dawson could have come back to him to help him out also. 

B+ is fair, no blatant bad throws, had a few missed reads but was mostly in control all game. 

Solid B. Not as good as his performance against the Giants which I still think was his best as a pro. But he played well executing what was a pretty conservative game plan aimed at dialling things back a touch for him after last week. It was a gameplan to rebuild his confidence a bit and for the most part he executed it well. The INT was an awful decision and a worse throw but as I keep saying I don't want to take the hero ball totally out of Josh. It is partly that which makes him potentially special. Sometimes it will hurt you. Other times it will pay off. 

8 hours ago, CincyBillsFan said:

Wow, you're 100% correct.  If Yeldon runs that out it's a huge big play by Allen.

I think we have to be honest and admit that the Bills still have some work to do to further upgrade the offensive skill players.  You don't see a lot of guys getting good separation and Allen's throws are almost always into very tight spaces.  When a guy breaks wide open in the intermediate spaces Allen hits him.  Think about Brown today; Knox against Cincy and Beasley against the Giants.

It’d be nice if we addressed the OT positions

49 minutes ago, GunnerBill said:

Solid B. Not as good as his performance against the Giants which I still think was his best as a pro. But he played well executing what was a pretty conservative game plan aimed at dialling things back a touch for him after last week. It was a gameplan to rebuild his confidence a bit and for the most part he executed it well. The INT was an awful decision and a worse throw but as I keep saying I don't want to take the hero ball totally out of Josh. It is partly that which makes him potentially special. Sometimes it will hurt you. Other times it will pay off. 

That INT was on Yeldon.

I'm with you, though, I'd give him a B+

7 hours ago, 808 said:

this is totally on josh. Stop making excuses. The ball doesnt come out on time he buys some time. The WRs are in a scramble drill and josh isnt going to a side for them to run to. So its looks like they all pull up. 

but the point is the ball never came out in time. Top of your drop. Ball comes out. Its on josh. 

Nonsensical. Josh is trying to evade a rusher. He can only choose to move in whatever way he can to avoid the sack. It is up to his receivers to adjust to him, if they can. He avoided the sack and put the ball where Yeldon could make the catch if he continues to run across the field.

Believe what you want, not what you can actually see. 

He makes his share of mistakes, you don't need to create ones that he didn't make.

• Awesome! (+1) 1

6 hours ago, Fixxxer said:

I like Josh Allen and I don't want him benched for the emergency QB, having said that this interception was on him, I agree with you, even he said so to the media after the game. 

Allen should have thrown the ball to Duke Williams, he was open in this play.

Allen will always shoulder the blame.  He took the blame for the INT off Beasley's thigh and the fumbled snap in the NYJ game.  So I don't think you can draw too much conclusion from what Allen says in the press conference.

Sometimes the worst thing that can happen to a young QB though, is to get away with one.  And if Yeldon had kept running and made the catch, that's just what Josh would have been doing.

• Like (+1) 3

13 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

If we are talking about the interception today, Cole was open; however, the throw was to Yeldon - and the INT was completely on Yeldon. If you watch the video, Yeldon, lined up outside at the top of the screen, stops twice on his route. The second stop is while the ball is in the air to him. If he continues, it is a good throw and probably a catch. It certainly was not "hero ball," as so many posters want to scream every time something bad happens

This interception was not on Allen. I give him an A for his performance today.

thank you for this.

watching the game after they showed the replay on TV, i thought it was Yeldon's fault because he stopped on the play. however after watching it from this angle and in slo-mo, i do believe he was throwing to Beaser. Yeldon pulled up because he thought that too. we have seen many times Josh throwing it low to Beaser (whether on purpose or not) and that is what was happening here because of the coverage all around him.  would have to see the All 22 to see where Allen's head is and hopefully his eyes are but just from this angle, the pick was on Allen.

11 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That looks like some big-ass confusion on route running by someone.  Daboll can't possibly have designed a set of routes that look like that  - can he?

remember, it was a broken play. they should have been running a scramble drill.

Edited by Foxx
  • Like (+1) 1

13 hours ago, Fixxxer said:

C+

Very efficient first half, took what the Titans gave to him. I would like to see the all-22 this week, there were several plays where he had ample time to find someone open and didn't.

His interception was awul, got the Titans into the game, huge momentum in their favor.

If you gave him a C+ I dont think the All-22 will do you any good.

8 minutes ago, Foxx said:

thank you for this.

watching the game after they showed the replay on TV, i thought it was Yeldon's fault because he stopped on the play. however after watching it from this angle and in slo-mo, i do believe he was throwing to Beaser. Yeldon pulled up because he thought that too. we have seen many times Josh throwing it low to Beaser (whether on purpose or not) and that is what was happening here because of the coverage all around him.  would have to see the All 22 to see where Allen's head is and hopefully his eyes are but just from this angle, the pick was on Allen.

remember, it was a broken play. they should have been running a scramble drill.

Yeah, you could be right. I watched it a number of times trying to figure out if he was going to Beasley or Yeldon. I still believe it was Yeldon based on where the linebacker caught the ball and where the ball would have been, about two yards closer to the LOS, had Yeldon continued running. It will be interesting to see the all 22. 

Either way, you have WRs trying to adjust to a QB trying to evade a sack, and a QB trying to react to the WR's adjustments. I do not look at this as "hero ball" ( a term I personally hate) as much as the QB interpreting the adjustment of his WR and putting the ball where he thinks that WR will be. Not to mention, it involved a QB and 3 WRs who have played 5 NFL games together.

It might be on the receiver or it might be on Allen; however, this constant beating of the drums by a minority (but a loud minority) of this fan base on every mistake or bad play involving Allen that it is an indication he is regressing, does more harm than good, can't read a defense, is wildly innacurate, can never learn from his mistakes, constantly tries to play hero ball, is an awful QB, will never be an NFL quality QB, hasn't improved at all since coming into the league, should be benched for Barkley (Just a few of the things that were said in the gameday thread), etc, etc. etc., gets a little ridiculous at times. 

How is it we can all agree that it is a team that has so much room for growth, yet, some of us have little to no tolerance for growing pains.

• Thank you (+1) 3

3 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

Without benefit of All-22, I'd ay this was his best game as a pro.  It seemed that the full game plan was clicking in his head.

I think Josh played smarter and safer on the most part and minimized mistakes.

For all the good he did - these ridiculous stats - muddy things up ...  his QBR - 34.5 and his RAT -  98.3

23 of 32 (starting out 9 of 12), 2 TD's, 1 INT, 71.9 % Completion rate,  

I mean that ^ looks good to me.  

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 2

I liked hearing Allen say he thinks he played his best game of his career. I threw the balm away when he needed to and didn’t take any silly hits or chances.

thank you for the int. Video. That shows how sometimes it’s not the quarterbacks fault.

we finally have a quarterback throwing with anticipation instead of waiting for a receiver to be open, ie what Mariotta was doing all day. 

I was at the game and the pass that impressed me the most was the one to Knox  down the middle for about 15 yards. From my seat I could see Allen throw the ball while the TE was running away from Allen, the TE broke in on his route and the ball was right there, he just dropped it. Heck of a throw. 

Allen is the guy. Getting better all the time. Set backs will happen , but sky is the limit for this kid.

Edited by atlbillsfan1975
  • Like (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

I think Josh played smarter and safer on the most part and minimized mistakes.

For all the good he did ridiculous stats  muddy things up ...  his QBR - 34.5 and his RAT -  98.3

23 of 32 (starting out 9 of 12), 2 TD's, 1 INT, 71.9 % Completion rate,  

I mean that ^ looks good to me.  

The INT was ugly but I don't remember a single ball off target. A few smart throwaways, a few drops, and a few on target balls that defenders knocked away at the last minute. 

15 minutes ago, Sundancer said:

The INT was ugly but I don't remember a single ball off target. A few smart throwaways, a few drops, and a few on target balls that defenders knocked away at the last minute. 

when not intended aka a throw away he was pretty good.  Even the announcers mentioned that when he was 7 of 9 on completed passes. 

TV announcer #2 (Archiletta?)....  How can people say Josh has accuracy problems?

We've ALL seen a QBR - 34.5 and to me  ...  that was not one yesterday.!!! 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost