Josh Allen - week FIVE report card

rayray808

2 hours ago, fansince88 said:

Not trying to make excuses because Josh was throwing under attack but I wonder if it was run wrong or if he was trying to get it to Knox OR if he just plain screwed that one up. 

To me it looked like Cole seen his QB run out of the pocket and broke off his route to try and get open for him.  That ran him into Knox who was still running his normal route.  Also, the throw looks to me like Yeldon was the intended target and he stopped dead in his tracks like he didn't want the ball.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

59 minutes ago, dous21 said:

he literally threw a lowball into triple coverage 

Listen... people cannot complain that Josh doesn't throw with anticipation or doesn't throw his receivers open, and then complain when he throws a ball and the receiver does the wrong thing.

If Josh threw the ball away every time there was nothing there or he was under pressure then you all would be complaining that all he does is check it down and throw it away.  I heard for half the game how "trentative" he was today.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I'd give him a B/B+.

Tough conditions. He seemed to play smarter. He's learned to throw it at feet on a broken screen. Took some smart sacks, I suppose.. Didn't try to stiff arm any D lineman lol. He really needs to improve against the blitz. At least throw it in the dirt, toward the receiver,  like Brady does. I think the Pats really understand how much sacks kill drives. Your odds of converting 2nd and 16 rather than 2nd and 10 are probably cut in half.  That, I think would be the difference that would lift him from mid-level to high-level.

JA did make some nice throws today. I'm missing the deep ball more and more, though.

• Like (+1) 1

B+ sounds right.

Anything less than that is unfair to Josh, in my opinion.

He completed 71.9% of his passes, had a 98 QB rating, had his sixth game-winning drive in 16 career games, and led his team to a road win. He was also accurate throwing the football all day long and made smart decisions on all but the interception. The only thing keeping him from an "A" is the pick. That's it. 

Good game from Allen overall.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 2

16 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That looks like some big-ass confusion on route running by someone.  Daboll can't possibly have designed a set of routes that look like that  - can he?

I don't think it was confusion really. Well Yeldon maybe.  I think Knox was running his route and I think that Cole was sitting down on  his spot but saw his QB on the move.  Cole then tried to go upfield to get open for him but ran into Knox.

1 hour ago, dous21 said:

he literally threw a lowball into triple coverage 

Triple coverage ? He’s throwing to Yeldon . Yeldon looking right at JA, Allen throws to a spot where he’d be if he keeps running but Yeldon stops inexplicable. He’s single covered and no one within a few yards of him. Easy completion if he keeps running. The play wasn’t working and players were improvising at that point , but there’s no blanket coverage on Yeldon. 

2 minutes ago, Scott7975 said:

I don't think it was confusion really. Well Yeldon maybe.  I think Knox was running his route and I think that Cole was sitting down on  his spot but saw his QB on the move.  Cole then tried to go upfield to get open for him but ran into Knox.

Yeah, but the way they're moving they're bringing their cover guys to converge in the same area.  IDK.  It just doesn't look like a well-schemed set of routes which is why I'm wondering if someone got something wrong.  And certainly Yeldon seems to be having a "wait, is this right?  what should I really be doing?" moment on the field where he hesitates and then stops.

3 hours ago, rayray808 said:

WEEK 1: B-

WEEK 2: B

WEEK 3: C+

WEEK 4: F

WEEK 5: B+

23/32 - 219 yards - 2 TDʻs 1 INT - 27 yards rushing - 72% completion 

First and foremost Tennessee is a great defense. That does not excuse his INT which we all knew as he rolled out was about to be a really good play, or a really bad play, however it does need to be somewhat factored in. He managed the game and multiple times either slid, or threw the ball away. It showed mental growth and awareness of correcting last weeks mistakes. Most importantly though, he stayed poised and got us a TOUGH WIN on the ROAD.

We are 4-1 heading into the bye week and we need Allen to continue to develop the mental side of his game, while the rest of the team heals physically.

GO BILLS!

Grading the grader weeks 1 to 5.  Summary Grade = F. Not qualified.  Dismissed from position. 

8 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Yeah, but the way they're moving they're bringing their cover guys to converge in the same area.  IDK.  It just doesn't look like a well-schemed set of routes which is why I'm wondering if someone got something wrong.  And certainly Yeldon seems to be having a "wait, is this right?  what should I really be doing?" moment on the field where he hesitates and then stops.

It's certainly possible.

• Like (+1) 1

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

That looks like some big-ass confusion on route running by someone.  Daboll can't possibly have designed a set of routes that look like that  - can he?

Honestly, I couldn't figure out what was going on. Knox and Cole end up in the same spot and Yeldon coming to a complete stop, not once, but twice on his route. WTH?

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

If we are talking about the interception today, Cole was open; however, the throw was to Yeldon - and the INT was completely on Yeldon. If you watch the video, Yeldon, lined up outside at the top of the screen, stops twice on his route. The second stop is while the ball is in the air to him. If he continues, it is a good throw and probably a catch. It certainly was not "hero ball," as so many posters want to scream every time something bad happens

This interception was not on Allen. I give him an A for his performance today.

Wow, you're 100% correct.  If Yeldon runs that out it's a huge big play by Allen.

I think we have to be honest and admit that the Bills still have some work to do to further upgrade the offensive skill players.  You don't see a lot of guys getting good separation and Allen's throws are almost always into very tight spaces.  When a guy breaks wide open in the intermediate spaces Allen hits him.  Think about Brown today; Knox against Cincy and Beasley against the Giants.

• Like (+1) 3

In general, I had the sense that Josh was being kind of mechanical in his decision making, as if he knew he'd get in trouble if he did what he really wanted to do; make the bigger throw, run a little longer-then lower his shoulder, wait a little longer for the play to develop.  It's not that he didn't hold the ball a long time on a few occasions, and he did make that one ill advised pass, but most of the time, he allowed his head and his coaching to overrule his gut feeling.  I don't say this to be critical, and it's probably not unexpected, but what needs to happen is he needs to internalize this stuff so he really has a feel for when he needs to be careful and when it's appropriate to push the boundaries.  That will take some time.

Edited by TigerJ
  • Like (+1) 1

I would give Josh a B. Really good game with one nearly tragic turnover. I think being on the road against a very good defense puts this up from the C+/B- range as the context and conditions of play make it a better performance. 

The run game wasn't much support either until it came time to grind the clock out. Josh made better decisions this game only once making a costly decision.

I suspect this is the type of play we see from him on a regular basis.

5 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

If we are talking about the interception today, Cole was open; however, the throw was to Yeldon - and the INT was completely on Yeldon. If you watch the video, Yeldon, lined up outside at the top of the screen, stops twice on his route. The second stop is while the ball is in the air to him. If he continues, it is a good throw and probably a catch. It certainly was not "hero ball," as so many posters want to scream every time something bad happens

this is totally on josh. Stop making excuses. The ball doesnt come out on time he buys some time. The WRs are in a scramble drill and josh isnt going to a side for them to run to. So its looks like they all pull up. 

but the point is the ball never came out in time. Top of your drop. Ball comes out. Its on josh. 

32 minutes ago, 808 said:

this is totally on josh. Stop making excuses. The ball doesnt come out on time he buys some time. The WRs are in a scramble drill and josh isnt going to a side for them to run to. So its looks like they all pull up. 

but the point is the ball never came out in time. Top of your drop. Ball comes out. Its on josh. 

What are you talking about?! Josh rolls to his left avoids the sack, the backer comes up for secondary rush help. The sideline isn't an ally in this play, its more likely to result in a non completion or similar pick to last week where the DB comes over the top to pick it. Josh sets his feet and throws to where Yeldon should end up if he keeps running. If Yeldon doesn't stop running across the field its right in his chest. That's not on Allen, that is on Yeldon, and in future scenarios Yeldon will learn that Josh wants him to keep coming.

• Like (+1) 3

6 hours ago, billsfan1959 said:

^this this and this. Really, I thought I saw Yeldon stop his route mid-scramble in real time but totally missed the replay...had to wait for the facebook video of all things to confirm, but Yeldon should shoulder this turnover. Not to sound like a complete homer, but Josh’s ball was remarkably on target for rolling out to his left (a rare sighting) and putting it where Yeldon could make a play. 

Josh played a very controlled game overall today, nothing spectacular - but exactly what was needed when it was needed.

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 808 said:

I like Josh Allen and I don't want him benched for the emergency QB, having said that this interception was on him, I agree with you, even he said so to the media after the game. 

Allen should have thrown the ball to Duke Williams, he was open in this play.