Bills' pass : run ratio

Simon

13 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

One of the reasons passing is successful on first is because it's a run down. If teams did it all the time, like this suggests, those numbers would go down quickly. I bet the best average for a runner is third and long. 

Gillislee says, “hi!”

But how many times have we heard that Allen isn’t a true franchise QB because he hasn’t thrown for 300 yards in a game? Mahomes, Goff, Minshew,  Matt Ryan,  and Dak Prescott all got over 300 passing yards yesterday. I mean, stats are important.  Amirite?

15 hours ago, Simon said:

Before that final drive when they went to clock-killing mode, I think the Bills pass:run ration was close to 3 : 1.

Brian Daboll really needs to recognize what kind of defense he's got complimenting him and start approaching his play-calling duties a little less tactically and a little more strategically.

There's no reason your 23yr old wet-behind-the-ears QB needs to be dropping back 40 times in a game in which you haven't played from behind for a single second. I think Coach needs to trust his defense and take pressure off his OLine by calling games a bit more conservatively.

meh who cares after a win??  

LOL      / sarc 

Seriously though, this was brought up before.   It may not look like it, but the Bills do have a good mixture with the pun and pass. 

Buffalo is 7th in YPg  with 139.6 yds and it's NOT because of Josh's running like last season.  He's only averaging 31.6 ypg compared to 52.6 ypg from last season. 

It just appears that they pass more than run. Maybe its because they seem to focus on the run later in games tied or with a lead.   

Or that we are all focused on watching Josh make that next dumb  mistake or 2 or 2.

I think this is an overreaction. 

Not saying the offense of great by any means, but they are moving the ball pretty well and Allen has been pretty good. Turnovers have been killing them which is why we are not seeing more points. 

I think Daboll is doing a good job. 

• Like (+1) 1

A young QB with limited experience shouldn’t have to feel that he’s putting the team on his back every play.

We need a solid running game to take the pressure off of Allen and have him more as a game manager, until he learns when and what to do with the ball.....IMO.

5 minutes ago, Sweats said:

A young QB with limited experience shouldn’t have to feel that he’s putting the team on his back every play.

We need a solid running game to take the pressure off of Allen and have him more as a game manager, until he learns when and what to do with the ball.....IMO.

Isnt that what we saw on the game icing drive?   

15 hours ago, Simon said:

Before that final drive when they went to clock-killing mode, I think the Bills pass:run ration was close to 3 : 1.

Brian Daboll really needs to recognize what kind of defense he's got complimenting him and start approaching his play-calling duties a little less tactically and a little more strategically.

There's no reason your 23yr old wet-behind-the-ears QB needs to be dropping back 40 times in a game in which you haven't played from behind for a single second. I think Coach needs to trust his defense and take pressure off his OLine by calling games a bit more conservatively.

there was no yards running against a stout defense. 

I do wish McKenzie would be on the field more than he is though. Seems like everytime he touches the Ball something good happens. 

15 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

This offence still is terrible.  With a good running attack & good QB'ing they need have tp start scoring more.

Daboll is still not winning the coaching battle.

Terrible ?

I disagree…   Raw and in need of some improvement yes, but equally full of potential. They move the ball, then They seem to stumble some but they end strong which is under appreciated

Edited by ddaryl

Honestly I'm all for a heavy pass strategy. They should be done with Rex Ryan ball. You have a young QB and in order for him to grow and get better he has got to throw the ball and make reads- he can't  do this if he is handing the ball off 80% of the time.

?

Edited by MrSarcasm

i'm over simplifying......but you take what the defense gives you

ten mostly overloaded to stop the run and did alot of  man to man on wr's

whats troubling to me, is when the play called isnt there and josh is in scramble mode our wr's are not working back to ball and getting open

• Like (+1) 1

12 hours ago, NC Book said:

Definitely need to pound the rock more. More jet sweeps. 3 a game at least. Yeldon actually hits the hole pretty hard.

Agree with everything except for the Yeldon part. Mr. Fumbles should not be running the ball.

Just now, papazoid said:

whats troubling to me, is when the play called isnt there and josh is in scramble mode our wr's are not working back to ball and getting open

I noticed this some on the INT. There needs to be a better approach to coming back to the ball when Josh is scrambling

15 hours ago, Teddy KGB said:

What about the end of the game when they ran it on them when they knew it was coming? 

What is the basis of your post ? 

With two backup lineman and without  your starting center no less! Sign of a good team is running when they need to!

• Like (+1) 1

The main fact is Josh simply looks better when the Bills are passing at a higher tick. When they are trying to run then make the odd throw and Allen is out of rhythm he gets less accurate. You want the best version of Josh Allen? You gotta throw it. It is just who he is. 

I thought Daboll called a pretty good game yesterday. There were a couple of calls he would want back but every coach has those. For the most part he did a good job. 

10 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I don't know about analytics, but I don't think it's as simple as some posters say.  

There is an offensive game plan.  It's developed by Daboll, but it's certainly approved by McDermott.   Daboll doesn't create it in a vacuum.   That game plan obviously was based on the notion that the Bills could throw the ball effectively against the Titans.  So, sure, we'd like to see the clock running on that second last drive, but the Bills thought they could complete passes, and if they'd completed any, the clock WOULD have been running.   It's a head in the sand approach to say we're just going to run it three times to keep the clock running and then punt.  That's really conservative with five or six minutes left in the game.  

And the second play was specifically designed that if the primary option was not there then the easy throw into the flat for the tight end kept the clock running. Unfortunately it wasn't a good throw and Knox dropped it.