Bills' pass : run ratio

Simon

More people who "know better." 

They want to run the ball more, until they want the Bills to pass the ball more. 

4-1 with a strong, stout defense. These opinion threads should be kept in the post-game thread.

3 minutes ago, Paulus said:

More people who "know better." 

They want to run the ball more, until they want the Bills to pass the ball more. 

4-1 with a strong, stout defense. These opinion threads should be kept in the post-game thread.

Thank you for your invaluable contribution to the subject

• Haha (+1) 2

43 minutes ago, Simon said:

Before that final drive when they went to clock-killing mode, I think the Bills pass:run ration was close to 3 : 1.

Brian Daboll really needs to recognize what kind of defense he's got complimenting him and start approaching his play-calling duties a little less tactically and a little more strategically.

There's no reason your 23yr old wet-behind-the-ears QB needs to be dropping back 40 times in a game in which you haven't played from behind for a single second. I think Coach needs to trust his defense and take pressure off his OLine by calling games a bit more conservatively.

Nah I like the way he is calling plays. Too many times we complained about having them run too much... now you want them to run.

• Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Kelly the Dog said:

With five minutes to go up by seven he called three passes in a row and we only spent one minute and got two yards. 

Yeah, it's probably just as well I didn't see that or I may have eaten my television.

2 minutes ago, Boca BIlls said:

Too many times we complained about having them run too much... now you want them to run.

Oh, did "we"?

• Haha (+1) 1

Totally agree Simon, they need a better ratio.

That said, that last drive was the most impressive they’ve had all season. I f’n loved them running the ball right down their throats when they knew the run was coming. And doing it with starters at only 2 spots on the OL in the game.

It was a thing of beauty.

Edited by MDH

Can’t disagree more 

we’ve been watching this team run the ball, and do it relatively well. We have nothing to show for it.

so many fans, myself included, have been banging the table for the bills to open it up and spread the ball around via the pass game. 

I want to see 40 attempts a game. 

3 minutes ago, MDH said:

That said, that last drive was the most impressive they’ve had all season. I f’n loved them running the Bills right down their throats when they knew the run was coming. And doing it with starters at only 2 spots on the OL in the game.

It was a thing of beauty.

That ***** absolutely fires me up.

There are few things better in football than standing on a sideline watching your offense repeatedly punch people in the face late in a game.

• Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

27 minutes ago, vincec said:

I agree, but whose fault is that? There were plenty of other RBs that he could have on the roster. Murphy for example. Instead, they have 6 WRs active.

Well, I would assume when it comes to player personnel decisions, Daboll is down at #3 or #4 on the decision-making list.

Whose fault do you think it is?

1 minute ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Well, I would assume when it comes to player personnel decisions, Daboll is down at #3 or #4 on the decision-making list.

Whose fault do you think it is?

I think it's the coaching staff. Zay Jones is sitting on the bench doing nothing and you can't call a run when you want because you don't want your RB to get tired? That doesn't sound like good planning to me.

I’m sorry I disagree. Daboll, besides a few bad calls, called a really good game. This Titans defense is strong up the middle. The Bills only reliable back, Gore, runs up the middle. They have very good DT, ILBs and a All Pro Safety. The weakness for the Titans is/was the edges. 

Daboll called a game that allowed Allen to gain some confidence back. He took what the defense gave him.

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, matter2003 said:

Analytics shows it is almost never a better choice to run instead of pass based on many factors.

Correct. Especially on 1st down.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/you-called-a-run-on-first-down-youre-already-screwed/

On first down, passing will net you at least 5 yards (enough to make the play a success) 47 percent of the time, while running the ball will get you the same result just 32.8 percent of the time, 14.2 percentage points less often.

57 minutes ago, mattynh said:

I disagree.  The bills run the ball a high percentage of the time when you compare to the nfl.   This offense is a modern nfl offense for the first time in line forever.   They need to clean up the mistakes by the qb and they will be pretty good.  

This is the correct answer. Why anyone would want to take a step back is beyond me. You need to pass to win in this league.

I’m fine with throwing the ball. It’s 2019 and we have a QB capable of making great things happen with his arm. Let him sling the rock. We just suffered through several years of watching Tyrod and a run based offense. I don’t want to go back to that.

Edited by Bangarang