with one full season under his belt, how do you feel about our QB?

BuffAlone

3 hours ago, downunderbill said:

Still a work in progress but he's a gamer and a winner so happy at this point,

This.  Josh Allen has had to play a lot of "hero ball" because he's had to, both in college, and to some extent in Buffalo last season.  I can see why it would be hard to unlearn.  Daboll focused on reining him in today, and except for one pass all day did a pretty good job.  Once Daboll breaks that tendency, I think Josh will continue to hone his reading skills and know when it's safe and appropriate to attempt the deeper passes. 

• Like (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, Giuseppe Tognarelli said:

Good overall. It's very disconcerting when we're at the point now when you feel like you can see his picks coming before he even throws the ball, because all of his dumb decisions tend to look very similar, but overall I'm very pleased.

The picks always seem to happen when he's a little indecisive. 

Yeah like I said earlier the pick in today's game just breathed life into them and they were a different team after the int. Outside of that Allen was decent to good but those mistakes are magnified against better teams. I'm pleased enough with Allen today but against the better teams we play we are going down if he throws them the ball. Defence has been so good.

1 hour ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

He has a ways to go. The offense can't put teams away because Allen always seems to let the other team back in with a mistake. This team is 4-1 because of the defense, I'd hate to think of where they would be without it.

Yeah, you kind of wonder how the teams Taylor led would have fared with this defense. Somehow I have to think the Bills would have made the playoffs each year.

2 minutes ago, IronyAbounds said:

Yeah, you kind of wonder how the teams Taylor led would have fared with this defense. Somehow I have to think the Bills would have made the playoffs each year.

Allen is more capable than Tyrod, but he's a turnover machine, which makes it close to a wash.

4 hours ago, Formerly Allan in MD said:

He continues to make the same mistakes after having seen how detrimental they are and undoubtedly having been coached over and over about them.  That's a significant concern.  The pick today should have been a throw away, as so many of his picks should have been (the replay of the interception today, however, showed two receivers open, which certainly raises questions).  If there's nothing there, accept it and don't risk losing a game like last weeks and possibly todays..  He never slid early last year and started doing so later, having clearly been coached to do it.  This year, until today, he was no longer sliding.  It will be a step forward if he doesn't revert back again to not sliding.  Today his footwork was better.  But how will it be in future games?  It should be a few steps forward and fewer steps back for Allen on a consistent basis.  The formula is still a work in progress; so the jury's still out for me on Josh.

Today's INT may not have been on Allen.  In fact it probably should have been a great 3rd & long conversion.  Check out the Allen Report Card thread and watch the video evidence, which is very strong, that Yeldon messed up.

As for this threads question - Allen is the guy IMO.  He's like the stock market he goes up and down but the overall trajectory is up.

1 hour ago, london_bills said:

Yeah like I said earlier the pick in today's game just breathed life into them and they were a different team after the int. Outside of that Allen was decent to good but those mistakes are magnified against better teams. I'm pleased enough with Allen today but against the better teams we play we are going down if he throws them the ball. Defence has been so good.

But was it a bad Allen throw or a bad route run by Yeldon?  The Allen Report card thread has compelling evidence that the INT was on Yeldon, NOT Allen.

4 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

If you don't want to count today as a 4th quarter comeback, then he has 4. too many int's, but a gutsy performance time and time again.  Question is, how would you say Josh is doing after 16 games as a starter? Is he The Man moving forward??

I'm still in the "wait and see, much work to be done" camp.

I was in the stunned, "NoooooooOOOooooo!" camp when we drafted Josh Allen. 

I was a "wrong Josh"er, but after the draft I'm like "he's a Bill now, let's pull for him to succeed!"

I was much more pleased by the end of last season than I thought I'd be

I was impressed at the start of this season by his progress with the short/intermediate throws

It's not going to be a linear growth process and he'll have good games and bad games and do boneheaded things sometimes.  Because of the "inaccurate" narrative, he'll sometimes get tagged for boneheaded things that weren't

He's got way more potential than I thought, but also way more distance to go

• Like (+1) 2

I'm not ready to say that he's definitely the Franchise QB we're all hoping and waiting for, BUT...

Through 16 games, Josh Allen has a 9-7 record as a starter. He is 8-1 when he throws 1 interception or less. He has SIX game-winning drives in 16 games.

When you consider that 11 of those 16 career games came last season, when he had a historically bad offensive line, a rotating cast of WRs, and just about NO preparation time as the starter before week 2 of the season....his performance and, more importantly, his W-L record thus far, is pretty damned impressive.

The thing I like the most? He's at his best in the 4th quarter. You can't teach that. He has the "Clutch Gene". Yes, it's important to point out that the REASON he's needed to come back and win games in the 4th quarter is that his 3rd quarter performance hasn't been great, but...still. You have to give credit where it's due. I never feel like the Bills are out of a game with Josh Allen behind center.

Oh, and one more thing: The whole "he's inaccurate!" critique? He's already proven it false. He is NOT inaccurate. He needs to learn to read defenses better/faster, to make better decisions with the football, and to slide and avoid unnecessary risks. But inaccurate? Nope. Sorry. Not true. He has dispelled this myth already, in my opinion.

All in all? I'm cautiously optimistic. There's A LOT to like there, but enough to keep you worried that he may never reach his full potential. Grade: Incomplete, but encouraging.

• Like (+1) 3
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I know I'm beating a dead horse here but after watching the video evidence in the Allen Report Card thread that INT was NOT on Allen.

Was it an aggressive throw?  Yes.  Was it a stupid or careless throw?  NO.  Would Tyrod have made that throw?  Hell no!

I'm watching KC tonight and their receivers execute free form patterns a lot better then the bills do.  Watch the video and get back to me.  Yeldon looks LOST out there.  For most NFL teams Allen's throw would have been a great 3rd & long pick up. 

And for the record isn't it funny that we all think Allen sucked becasue of those awful INT's last week.  And for sure Allen had a bad day.  But it's interesting that Zay Jones got benched and Duke was brought up from the practice squad & inserted into the starting line-up where he made a solid contribution.  Maybe when they watched the game film there was more to those INT's then we saw? 

The thing is we'll never know from Allen's demeanor because he won't ever throw a teammate under the bus.

• Like (+1) 1

We will have a much better picture toward the end of next season of where he can actually go as a NFL Qb, that said, he is progressing at a rate faster than I thought he would, being he was so far behind in his QB training when he was drafted. Like everyone said, he was a project pick with high upside potential.  Far to many here constantly forget/ignore this.  To Critique a players performance is a different thing than criticizing his play, so many here  do not understand the difference between the two. I just like seeing the Buffalo Bills win, so I’m good with the kid.

Go Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

Work in progress. Needs to cut down on turnovers and slide judiciously like he did today. I’d like to see more chunk plays out of Allen’s arm. Still a ways to go, but he’s improving. The Bills couldn’t score a TD in a very winnable playoff game with Tyrod so not sure why he’s being mentioned here. He’s too low of a bar to shoot for. The Bills are 4-1 and in good shape, even with a young flawed Allen. He still has potential to improve. I’d say a C+ so far.

• Thank you (+1) 1

6 hours ago, BuffAlone said:

If you don't want to count today as a 4th quarter comeback, then he has 4. too many int's, but a gutsy performance time and time again.  Question is, how would you say Josh is doing after 16 games as a starter? Is he The Man moving forward??

FANTASTIC.  He gives us a chance to WIN every SINGLE game.   We have not had a QB in 20 years that could be thought of that way.  

• Like (+1) 1

Without questions he is our answer to the QB position. He's about as nontraditional a QB as you can have as a franchise QB, largely because he will make so many mistakes while trying to make something happen. But as long as he makes more positive plays than negative plays, which has been the trend since he came back from injury last season, he's our guy.

And today was not a 4th QC but it was his sixth career game winning drive. I'd say 4 4th QC and 6 GW drives in his first 16 starts is not too shabby. And a 9-7 record.

4 hours ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

He has a ways to go. The offense can't put teams away because Allen always seems to let the other team back in with a mistake. This team is 4-1 because of the defense, I'd hate to think of where they would be without it.

1 - 4

I like Josh a lot.   Looking forward to his career but this Bills defense is the rock star.  Not JA.