Antonio Brown files grievances, seeking more than $40M

Players union has to file the grievance.  Doesn't mean they believe they can win them, or get him any type of a settlement. 

The Raiders and patsies cut him knowing what they were doing.  They wouldn’t have done so if they were going to have to pay him anyways.

imho  Brown should get paid by the Patriots  It feels like knowing already what they were getting into the should have to pay the guaranteed money.  Raiders already got screwed giving up picks But I'm probably a little biased given my loathing of Kraft

• Like (+1) 1

I'm not sure on the Oakland Raiders guarantees, but he absolutely should be paid by the Cheats.  He signed the contract and played a game, so he is entitled to all the guaranteed money, and his signing bonus, which is a sum of money he was entitled to for SIGNING the contract.  If the Cheats do prevail, it's just another indicator of how the game is fixed in their favor.

• Like (+1) 2

Personally, I don’t think NE will end up paying the guarantees.  NE had to take into account the details from Oakland as they wrote the contract language to sign AB.  It would be a colossal business failure to not insulate the organization from additional risk (new victims or continued erratic behavior) or simply the lack of transparency from AB and Rosenhaus to disclose what they knew.  I’d bet money that NE covered their bases here.

4 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

Personally, I don’t think NE will end up paying the guarantees.  NE had to take into account the details from Oakland as they wrote the contract language to sign AB.  It would be a colossal business failure to not insulate the organization from additional risk (new victims or continued erratic behavior) or simply the lack of transparency from AB and Rosenhaus to disclose what they knew.  I’d bet money that NE covered their bases here.

I’m stunned by how poorly worded and vague that clause was in his contract with NE*.

3 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

I’d bet money that NE covered their bases here.

Probably some double secret insurance policy that the previous year’s Super Bowl winner is awarded as part of the Lombardi Trophy.  Any legal judgements or fees are covered by the other 31 teams for that following year.  (D’oh!)

39 minutes ago, AmishRifle said:

The contract was written fine, but the CBA has specific limits when it comes to getting out of guarantees above and beyond the contract.

There have been a ton of articles, but it is very likely because of the timing of the cut that even though AB may have invalidated the contract - NE will still have to pay the guaranteed money because of the CBA.  Oakland is probably ok because of ABs actions, but NE is going to end up paying him most of the 20 million he was guaranteed.