What Is Your Stance on Wearing Ex Bills Jerseys at home games?

36 minutes ago, Chandler#81 said:

Who the hell are you to say that? He won many games for the Bills during his time here. Learn your team history.

Goddam Whippersnappers..? 

Anyway, as usual, this thread is stupid. Do you and your classmates take into account jerseys are often gifts? They May have significant meaning beyond just a jersey for Gameday. 

You’ve yet to make a mature thread, yet, undaunted, you puke one out every day..

Thank you for such kind and eloquent words!  

About Norwood, I have always felt fans overrated him because he was so kind, soft spoken and likeable.  He’s a guy that you want to cheer for for and support - especially after missing....well your know the rest.  

As a kicker, outside of a very good 1988 season, he was very average.  This is in comparison to other kickers of his time.  

One mistake Polian made was waiting too long to move on from Norwood.  The strength of his leg was deteriorating and by 1989 and in 1990 he could barely kick the ball in the end zone on kickoffs.  But rather than moving on, he just signed Brad Daluiso for kickoffs and let Norwood kick FG’s - which he did pretty poorly in 1991.  It was one of his worst years.

Its fine to like Norwood, in my opinion, I just don’t feel he was as good as some fans want to BILLieve ??

42 minutes ago, TAinLA said:

This got me thinking, is it equally a fashion faux pas to have your own name on a Bills jersey?

That’s what I did when I got an Elite (~$300) throwback jersey. I picked a favorite number and have my last name on back. It’s going to last a long time. I don’t want the name of some dude who may not be there next week in the revolving door that is the modern / free agency NFL.

If anyone has a problem with this, they can pound sand.

I went to my first game at Rich/Ralph/NE Field back in 1997, and while walking through the lot, some drunk started in about me wearing my authentic Kelly jersey, saying I should get a current player. **** that and **** him. Wear what you want. You and I are not there to impress anyone with our fashion choices.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, Philly McButterpants said:

Who the **** bought an Aaron Maybin Jersey??

I didn’t see any Maybin jerseys last Sunday.  I actually saw an old school blue Jersey of......Bryce Freaking Paup #95

1 minute ago, UConn James said:

That’s what I did when I got an Elite (~$300) throwback jersey. I picked a favorite number and have my last name on back. It’s going to last a long time. I don’t want the name of some dude who may not be there next week in the revolving door that is the modern / free agency NFL.

If anyone has a problem with this, they can pound sand.

I went to my first game at Rich/Ralph/NE Field back in 1997, and while walking through the lot, some drunk started in about me wearing my authentic Kelly jersey, saying I should get a current player. **** that and **** him. Wear what you want. You and I are not there to impress anyone with our fashion choices.

This is definitely a thing if you are big into jerseys.  Your custom jersey sounds like it’s pretty nice though 

• Like (+1) 1

I’m not really concerned with the Jersey a fan wears to the games.  As stated before by others, there can always be mitigating circumstances, as the cost and means of the fan.  I wouldn’t wear a M Williams Jersey, of Maybin, but I really don’t worry about those who do.  

They are at the game, so supporting he team.  There are also a lot of fans who don’t wear a jersey, so are they not as big of a Bills fan? Anyway, if people have a problem, just look the other way.  

• Thank you (+1) 2

38 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

bout Norwood, I have always felt fans overrated him because he was so kind, soft spoken and likeable.  He’s a guy that you want to cheer for for and support - especially after missing....well your know the rest.  

As a kicker, outside of a very good 1988 season, he was very average.  This is in comparison to other kickers of his time.  

You're not wrong, in fact, just looked it up and in 1988 he was second in FG% and there's no other year I could find that he was higher than 13th. My memory would have been that he was great up to about 1989 and then sort of fell off a cliff. Honestly, I was not particularly surprised when he missed the kick in SBXXV, and thought the national blame for him felt lazy (and still does). I was livid that they did not go for one more play on the sideline, perhaps a quick pass to Thurman (who seemed he could do no wrong that day), b/c the kick was at the edge of his range and even at the time I kinda knew that. 

That being said, considering his place in NFL lore, why question anyone who wants to have a rosier opinion than maybe his performance deserved. Let him/us have that. Maybe the fan wearing his jersey b/c he was at the celebration in January 1991, one of the most beautiful representations of our fanbase ever. Whatever you think of the whole Bills Mafia thing, the original sentiment behind it (let's be the fans who support our players, not tear them down) was noble. 

I'll always have a fondness in my heart for him due to Buffalo '66, and that speech that Vincent Gallo gives after not shooting "Scott Wood" -- a speech I heard so many fans give in 1991. He's part of the lore, and if certain fans want to embrace him, to take back his rep, to remember him as better than he was, it's fine with me and it reflects well on the fanbase as a whole. 

Edited by thurst44

7 hours ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Here is a funny topic some fellow Bills fans and I were discussing while tailgating.  Is it a party foul or maybe a “fashion “faux pas” to show up to a Bills game wearing a jersey of a player who no longer plays on the team.  I don’t mean old players who are synonymous with Buffalo like legends like Jim Kelly, Bruce Smith or even fan favorites like Stevie Johnson or Fred Jackson.  Even the fans who wore Mario Williams jerseys....he’s not longer in the NFL so I guess that’s ok. 

But I’m talking more jerseys of former Bills who are still playing in the NFL.  Obviously, I’m guessing people spent a lot of money on the jersey and didn’t want to spend more on another jersey just because that player left.  I get it from a logic standpoint.  But from a fan standpoint (and as a jersey buff), I think it’s kind of weird. 

At the stadium Sunday I saw Bills fans wearing jerseys of Ryan Fitzpatrick, Stephon Gilmore (Ironic, huh?), LeSean McCoy, Tyrod Taylor, Sammy Watkins and many more.  You wouldn’t believe how many people had on Marcel Dareus jerseys!  There were a lot LOL.

So as a Bills fans, what’s your own stance on wearing a Bills jersey of a current NFL player who is playing with another team?   

Wearing a Gilmore jersey to a Pats game is certainly a bizarre decision. Fitz was fun to watch and was good enough to give Bills fans the mirage of hope for half a season, which I can't say about any other drought QB. McCoy and Watkins are/were elite and dynamic talents who made mediocre teams watchable and were good teammates/sports on teams without a QB, unlike McGahee and a few others who never were taught that if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say anything at all (about the city, which obviously isn't the right fit for many players, but trashing a city just calls into question a player's priorities).

As for Tyrod, I can't think of any Bill more egregiously disrespected. He was a quiet leader and adequate game manager who was never going to be "the guy," but it's not his fault that Whaley didn't move on from EJ sooner. The 2017 Bills were one of the worst wild card teams I have ever seen, and managed 9 wins due to the combination of a risk-averse (and low scoring ceiling) quarterback and a defense that generated a leading number of turnovers (the recipe for consistently beating equal or less talented teams). Allen, in contrast, will singlehandedly lose us 3-4 games this year, but can be the guy for a perennial contender if he can consistently take what the defense gives him for 4 quarters instead of treating every play as the last. We would have been much better off having him to ease in a raw rookie from Wyoming instead of Peterman and a desperation Derek Anderson signing, but he's in the right spot as a backup on a team like the Chargers that has the talent to give him a fighting chance vs. real competition (unlike the 2017 Bills who were blown out by average squads).

I still wear my Bruce Smith jersey that I bought in his heyday. Still in great shape. I am also that 52 yr old guy who takes a glove/mitt to baseball game. Was made fun of by a guy til I caught a foul ball and gave to the guy's kid. 

• Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, UConn James said:

Maybe this was the same guy that gave me crap for wearing a #15 Kemp white throwback jersey to a game years ago. 

Edited by WotAGuy

I’ve got legends like smith and thomas. I’ve got guys that could have been legends like moulds. I’ve got modern guys like McCoy and Taylor(They were big pieces on a team that broke the drought and worthy of a closer slot) and now Allen And then I’ve got what I like to call my novelty collection which includes guys like incognito, Schmidt and Flutie. I think they all have a time and a place.

Just depends on my mood and what powers I’m trying to channel for the team from the football gods. I’ve meditated on it all week and today will be Bruce Smith as we need some pass rush energies. 

I will admit ive gotten rid of guys like Watkins, Mario Williams, and Byrd as they just didn’t stick around long enough or make big enough impact in one way or another for me to keep rocking them.... but I would never judge anyone else who was wearing them 

• Like (+1) 1