Jonathan Jones NOT fined for his hit on Allen

Herc11
Message added by Hapless Bills Fan

Listen up!

Keep it moderately clean, folks.  When I edit I'm way less creative than y'all are capable of without getting crude.

Damned if I want to toss any Bills fans on game day for righteous upset about league inconsistency and perceived favoring Pats.

But I also don't want to spend game day baby-sitting this topical relevant thread

Total BS !! Should have been ejected and fined !

4 hours ago, Herc11 said:

This league is insane. They already had Kraft and Belichek's knob in their throat as they explained why he wasn't ejected and now this.

5. In a surprising turn of events, New England Patriots defensive back Jonathan Jones, whose hit landed Bills QB Josh Allen in the concussion protocol, was not fined, according to Rapoport per an informed source. Rapoport added, "It was determined Jones turned his shoulder to stop the runner (who is not defenseless), while the runner is being tackled, falling forward and down."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001062048/article/roundup-obj-fined-14k-for-dustup-with-ravens-cb

Shoulder?? The H are they looking at ??

4 hours ago, Herc11 said:

A dirty hit would imply that he intentionally hit helmet to helmet. An unintentional helmet to helmet can happen by accident or poor tackling technique. Every season there are many hits that were not dirty hits and players were still fined. IMO this was a hit that had poor technique as he was leading with his head until the last second when he attempted to turn. He could of turned much sooner or not lead with his head in the first place and completely prevent a helmet to helmet collision.

Agree. It was not the dirtiest hit by far but other lesser hits have been fined. As I posted earlier fines are stupid. Ejections are the only answer. Instant targeting review just like in college is the only way to reduce these hits.

• Like (+1) 1

The legality of the play is a toss-up from my perspective; Jones was definitely too aggressive and positioned himself for a penalty, but I don't think it was driven by malice with intent to injure. Penalty and no fine seems quite appropriate. I'm much more concerned with the fact that the league didn't address, let alone suspend, Henry Anderson for trying to take Josh's legs out a few seconds after Allen was out of the play.

Riveron is an embarrassment who is doing more damage to the NFL than the league seems to realize; he's in the most important role in football other than the commissioner, and has prioritized defending the league and referee's decisions over driving continuous improvement and consistency in officiating. He's also made clear errors in numerous decisions in a role that has to be perfect in processing the facts and evidence off the field (Benjamin touchdown reversal last year, for example). The NFL is doing serious harm to its brand, especially post events like Spygate and the impact of officiating failures on games such as Saints-Vikings in last year's playoffs on top of the perception that certain players receive preferential treatment (there is clear evidence that mobile QBs like Newton are granted fewer roughing the passer calls on top of the widely-held belief that Brady and others are treated differently)

Edited by ny33

I might get roasted for this, but I think that the Bills should bring on a few scrub players to be DE's the next time they play the Patriots and have them go helmet to helmet on Brady and drive him into the turf but "roll the shoulder". If the cost for giving Tom Brady a concussion is just 15 yards, hell, I'll take that any day of the week.

I would set up a Go Fund Me to pay for any fines incurred.

Yes, it's scummy, but at this point, with the relationship with the Pats and Bills, player safety calls have been SO lopsided it's time to send a message.

Like I mentioned before, a few years ago Hughes got hit with a personal foul for slapping his teammates helmet to celebrate. Last year, Gronk delivered that cheap shot and got barely anything. This year, the gave our QB a concussion. Even if it was just poor form, the Pats saw fewer consequences for spearing a QB than a player congratulating a teammate after the play was over.

When it's that bad, lean into the skid.

Edited by WhitewalkerInPhilly

Replay says it all but intent of player. It was clearly  helmet to helmet!! Jones did appear to be trying to use his shoulder pads late in the hit. But the initial blow was to the head causing Allen’s head to whip back! 

Just because he was a runner at that point, does that make it any better?? If it was Gore or Michel of the Pats, does that mean it’s ok to rock someone’s head that way?? Clearly the brunt of the initial contact was to the head! I’m love hard hitting football as much as anyone. Miss the 70’s and 80’s style of play. But if the league is trying to stop these kind of hits this doesn’t help!!

Should have been fined! 

Actually fines do very little. Should have a short suspension unless Jones continues with the hits! Ala Burfict!!

Silly me, I thought hitting in the head was something that caused concussions and lead to CTE.....so the NFL was trying to increase safety .......and NFL was worried about the number of kids at lower levels not playing and threatening future football....

Anyone else notice how the technicality of the rules become more important to NFL heads like Riveron when the Pats are involved? (Jesse James etc.) I mean was that a safe hit and can the game eliminate it and survive? Of course, sounds like the old guard in the NHL saying you need goons to police the game.

There is no way in a college game that hit would go unpunished, bad look NFL!  

Oh and by the way, Pats fans think it was perfectly fine, but that hit on Brady is punished 100 out of a 100 times......the technicality of the rules changes then ....Jesse James catch in super slow mo...SMH....SMDH

Go Bills today, stick it up the leagues you know what!

Edited by D. L. Hot-Flamethrower
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

8 hours ago, Inigo Montoya said:

Is there a soul alive who believes that if it was Tom Brady getting speared in the head,  that this would be the ruling?

That's one of the worst helmet to helmet hits I've seen.

Wow...

I agree.

Although even Brady doesn't deserve a hit like that, Riveron now deserves to have Brady leveled with an identical hit.  His response to it would be eye opening.

9 hours ago, Herc11 said:

This league is insane. They already had Kraft and Belichek's knob in their throat as they explained why he wasn't ejected and now this.

5. In a surprising turn of events, New England Patriots defensive back Jonathan Jones, whose hit landed Bills QB Josh Allen in the concussion protocol, was not fined, according to Rapoport per an informed source. Rapoport added, "It was determined Jones turned his shoulder to stop the runner (who is not defenseless), while the runner is being tackled, falling forward and down."

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000001062048/article/roundup-obj-fined-14k-for-dustup-with-ravens-cb

I could see this coming.  Basically, Bellycheat**** called the shot as it were when he laid it out there "that's what I coach guys to do, maybe I should coach differently" or words to that effect, and the league backed down.  Moreover, Riveron went to the mat for it being OK.

But it's not OK.  If the league is serious about stopping helmet to helmet hits, they've got to stop that.  He had different choices, and there has to be a consequence.

• Thank you (+1) 1

Jones was clearly going for the high hit and arguably wouldn't have if Josh didn't have another defender on him. 

He executed an illegal hit and it's a shame he didn't get fined.  The impetus should be on the defender to execute his choices properly.  

12 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

I agree.

Although even Brady doesn't deserve a hit like that, Riveron now deserves to have Brady leveled with an identical hit.  His response to it would be eye opening.

That's extremely unlikely to happen.  Look at the language.  Key to the ruling is that Allen was regarded as a runner still capable of forward progress.  And you know it - he's gotten yards before with 1-3 guys hanging off him.

So we're extremely unlikely to see Brady in an identical situation subject to an identical hit.  Brady is gonna slide, or chuck the ball OOB.

The problem is, the league is saying it's OK to do that to a running back.  And if it is, they are no way serious about the helmet to helmet stuff.