Duke signed to active roster

6 hours ago, The Dean said:

I thought he played well. It seemed he certainly was a big part of the game plan and helped inject a little excitement into the offense. He should continue to improve moving forward, as he and Allen develop more chemistry.

It's a bit understandable he was somewhat tentative during the first couple preseason games. He was still getting adjusted to the NFL game, and quite frankly probably the Bills' playbook. Those early drops, while not a good look for a guy who was supposed to be a guy who caught everything, were probably just a natural part of having some much uncertainty and being a bit overwhelmed. That likely played a part in why he was put on the PS to begin with.  It looks like he used those weeks on the PS to learn and get comfortable.

I'm on board, though I never wasn't.

What drops?  He caught every single pass in preseason from what I saw.  Seen you reference several things about him in preseason that I don't think are accurate.  In his limited opportunities, he made the catches, got separation and made some highlight TD catches.  Never understood some of the things you kept saying about preseason, to be honest, all your comments sounded like you are talking about Zay who dropped a TD, made some mistakes on routes, etc in preseason.  

Edited by Alphadawg7

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

What drops?  He caught every single pass in preseason from what I saw.  Seen you reference several things about him in preseason that I don't think are accurate.  In his limited opportunities, he made the catches, got separation and made some highlight TD catches.  Never understood some of the things you kept saying about preseason, to be honest, all your comments sounded like you are talking about Zay who dropped a TD, made some mistakes on routes, etc in preseason.  

Maybe he's thinking of Sills?

• Like (+1) 1

....safe to say the kid atoned for his collegiate mistakes, went North as probably his only option and seems to have worked very hard at his craft.....McBeane quote I saw was (paraphrased), "the signing of Duke Williams changed making a WR draft pick early on as a top priority"....kudos to the "TBD Experts" who chimed in after the signing with,"....pffft....nothing but camp fodder..."(they should be along shortly with their "mea culpas (COUGH))"........think this kid knows the could be his ONLY chance at NFL riches and I hope like hell he shows it..nice job in game #1 IMO....."carpe diem big fella"....:thumbsup:

Edited by OldTimeAFLGuy

5 hours ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Watch his CFL highlights, look at how big he is and the fact he was the #1 receiver in the league should have answered any questions.

can we just sign their top wr for league minimum annually and solve all our problems?!?

2 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

2 hours ago, Warcodered said:

Maybe he's thinking of Sills?

Well I don't have any preseason data for drops, so I can't be completely sure.  I thought he dropped a couple passes in the preseason. He certainly didn't jump off the screen as a guy who was getting great separation against deep preseason depth or dominate against that same depth. But he clearly showed some promise with a few nice catches.

With that said, you may also be right. I could be combining some miscues by Sills and Duke, since they were the preseason darlings everyone was rooting for. I can say I saw very little from Sills. So it is possible some of the stench of Sills rubbed off on Duke. (I use "stench" with a wink. Don't take it too seriously.)

I've never been anti-Duke. I just wasn't  a "Duke has to play NOW!" kind of guy. I liked the pickup when it happened, but I had no strong feeling that he should have made the 53 instead of another player. In fact it made perfect sense to me, to let a guy brand new to the league, develop on the practice squad for a bit.

• Like (+1) 1