Duke signed to active roster

I tend to think Williams was given some positive feedback about eventually being promoted to the active roster when he was cut and signed to the PS. That's probably why he stuck around and did his utmost to be part of the team, even if only cheering on the sidelines on Sundays. While no doubt hoping that Zay would turn things around, I'm pretty sure that they used the time to prepare Williams for the transition from the CFL / preseason to the NFL and active on game day. Beane had a plan for him and Williams held up his end. It will be interesting to see how the chemistry with Allen develops. I too think he may be able to handle more responsibility once they get better acclimated.

Edited by starrymessenger

On 10/5/2019 at 4:23 PM, The Dean said:

He did. Before that, slow, drops, lack of seperation and effort on some plays.Given the buildup here, I expected more. But my mind is wide open.  I'm rooting for him.

What are your thoughts today?

25 minutes ago, John from Riverside said:

That pass was perfect to

It really was. Not that it was extremely difficult but it was very nice dropback, look, step into throw and right on target for a TD, something we obviously all want more of. I also think it was a wise call by Daboll. I have no idea of knowing this but it seems to me that the Titans knew who he was, planned for him being out there especially in the redzone and very probably, especially with him isolated on one side, for it to be a jump ball into the corner pattern. That may be exactly why it was relatively easy for Duke to take one step out and then cut hard back in, because the CB was expecting the out. Who knows but that is immediately what I thought on the pattern. That it was a great call to be low and in instead of high and out.

He's a big dude, watching him line up next to other players. 

I would like to see them line him up close to the line, almost as TE to create some mismatches.  Run is a few times and let him engulf a DB.  

On 10/7/2019 at 1:28 PM, Ta111 said:

What are your thoughts today?

I thought he played well. It seemed he certainly was a big part of the game plan and helped inject a little excitement into the offense. He should continue to improve moving forward, as he and Allen develop more chemistry.

It's a bit understandable he was somewhat tentative during the first couple preseason games. He was still getting adjusted to the NFL game, and quite frankly probably the Bills' playbook. Those early drops, while not a good look for a guy who was supposed to be a guy who caught everything, were probably just a natural part of having some much uncertainty and being a bit overwhelmed. That likely played a part in why he was put on the PS to begin with.  It looks like he used those weeks on the PS to learn and get comfortable.

I'm on board, though I never wasn't.

• Like (+1) 1

Gotta give it to the board on this guy , I thought he was another Darick Rogers and really stayed quiet on Duke but you guys called it and look like y'all were absolutely right. 

Comes in his first game , has the 2nd most WR snaps , Game winning TD and perfect catch rate. Huge reason why we were able to move on from vZay. 

Love my fellow Bills fans. I feel like myself , you guys pride yourself on knowing the game , just so knowledgeable and loyal. And every great team needs a guy with a name the fans can shout after making a play. Expecting big things from Dukkkkkkkeeee , happy to eat crow on this one

4 minutes ago, Canadian Bills Fan said:

Can I get my Duke Williams Bills jersey yet?

No soup for you... ?

57 minutes ago, Billsfan1972 said:

Watch his CFL highlights, look at how big he is and the fact he was the #1 receiver in the league should have answered any questions.

5 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

Yes because you live in Canada he’s a legend there 

Of course. And also highlights are, well highlights They never show the whole picture. And of course, the CFL is the CFL. Very different game. By his logic, any player who excels in the CFL will obviously excel in the NFL--but we know that's not true. As with making the transition from college to the NFL, the transition from the CFL isn't always smooth. 

With that said, I doubt Duke will be the leading receiver in the NFL (or even close). But it looks like he will be a contributor. McBeane picked another winner.

Hypothetical question. Would the Grey Cup champ beat Alabama (or any top 5 NCAA teams) in a game of USA football? I wouldn't bet on it.

21 minutes ago, The Dean said:

Of course. And also highlights are, well highlights They never show the whole picture. And of course, the CFL is the CFL. Very different game. By his logic, any player who excels in the CFL will obviously excel in the NFL--but we know that's not true. As with making the transition from college to the NFL, the transition from the CFL isn't always smooth. 

With that said, I doubt Duke will be the leading receiver in the NFL (or even close). But it looks like he will be a contributor. McBeane picked another winner.

Hypothetical question. Would the Grey Cup champ beat Alabama (or any top 5 NCAA teams) in a game of USA football? I wouldn't bet on it.

The point is that he was the top receiver by a pretty wide margin, average yards receiving very good & when he catches the ball I don't see juggling, which is important.

On 10/7/2019 at 10:28 AM, starrymessenger said:

I tend to think Williams was given some positive feedback about eventually being promoted to the active roster when he was cut and signed to the PS. That's probably why he stuck around and did his utmost to be part of the team

It's a good story, but PS players stick around because the Bills and other NFL teams pay them to. It's their job. :thumbsup:

2 hours ago, The Dean said:

Not the opposite playing in Canada with Canadian rules.  

Football is not like old days when they would have exhibitions just to make gate money and pay the players a little more.

2 hours ago, gregor7777 said:

It's a good story, but PS players stick around because the Bills and other NFL teams pay them to. It's their job. :thumbsup:

Yes but PS players are free agents and he choose Buffalo twice - once when he choose Buffalo to try out in (there were other suiters) and when he choose to sign up for Bills PS rather than another team.

37 minutes ago, Limeaid said:

Not the opposite playing in Canada with Canadian rules.  

Football is not like old days when they would have exhibitions just to make gate money and pay the players a little more.

They get PAID? Who knew?

And yes, the opposite is likely true if they were playing Canadian football.