Duke signed to active roster

I don’t remember Duke dropping many passes ( of course we are talking preseason)

reliable hands and good blocking downfield 

( IMO ) is what Duke brings to the table , I’m not sure about his rout running , 80% of rain during the game I think it’s a good move by McD to bring in Duke for this one !!!

want to wish Duke a great game , 

Gooo Bills!!!

• Like (+1) 1

15 hours ago, atlbillsfan1975 said:

About time. They gave Zay every chance they could. It’s now time to see what Duke can do.

I hope that Foster is mentally and physically in the same place as he was for the second half of last year. He averaged 73 yards/game from week 10-17 (7 games including the bye) with 3 TDs and 20.44 YPC. As a deep threat, he showed elite ability and impressive awareness for a rookie, and did an excellent job hauling in deep balls in space from an inconsistent rookie QB, adding an element to Allen's game that was key to his development and is reflected in his comfort throwing to and synergy with John Brown in a similar role (partially explaining Foster's invisibility so far). He's questionable for this coming week, and I am optimistic that he has been limited by a slow recovery from preseason injuries rather than complacency or a lack of trust from the coaches. 

At the very least, a target like Duke gives us a chance on some of the wild/rushed balls Allen throws downfield that Jones has no chance of winning. Jones is much better in the middle of the field, and I think he is an asset to a team that spreads 5+ targets to 5+ receivers successfully (e.g. the Pats) as a fourth option, versus his current role as an outside/go route option without any exceptional skills, unlike Brown who has rare speed and route-running ability and solid hands. Third down sets with Jones and Beasley in the slot could be very effective if either Duke or Foster gives an outside threat with either a physical or speed mismatch. Jones also seems to drop more balls in pressure situations, and I'm a lot more confident in him and the offense with Jones as a 4th/5th option on plays like the 4th and 3 to end the Pats game vs. the second read.

5 hours ago, Nelius said:

Zay is the only reason the masses haven't turned on Foster yet. Foster was a nice story, but I'd much rather see more Duke and McKenzie than Zay or Foster at this point. Brown-Beasley-Duke-McKenzie, that's a pretty nice group.

Foster appears to still be dealing with preseason injuries. Jones isn't nearly as bad as the board makes him out to be; obviously he's a disappointment for his draft slot, especially with Juju/Godwin/Kupp drafted after. Even at the time, it made little sense to me for the Bills to take a small-school receiver with average physical traits for a team planning on drafting a rookie QB the following year and without a TE or "possession" receiver, whether underneath blanket like Beasley or physical mismatch like Duke on the roster. Jones was awful his rookie year and just ok last year, but his catch rate has improved drastically and appears worse than the reality due to his poor track record on high-pressure plays (key third down and end zone drops). He's a competent 4th option on a good team that doesn't have to force the ball to him if Brown is double covered in third-and-long or end zone situations.

11 hours ago, billsredneck1 said:

Kroft ain't coming back. Hes' been a waste of a roster spot and as soon as he hits the practice field, he'll get hurt again. We can't even trade him. Do the injury settlement and get it over with.

No he can't be poached and he can't be signed to the 53. He is p.s. only this season. They had to make that decision at the final cut.

You might be right on Kroft.

6 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

Off the subject, but I still don’t get why McKenzie suddenly disappeared. You get Brown, Beasley, McKenzie, and Knox out there, that is a very solid group. 

It's a lot easier to confidently call gadget plays/sweeps when the offense is clicking, and being against one of the best defenses- which I would rank along with Buffalo as the top secondary- that can play single coverage against our only downfield threat in Brown and put the deep safety in support against his side (daring Allen to throw to Jones downfield). Having the Foster from the second half of '18 or a productive Duke forces the defense to respect Zay's side of the field (when he is physically average and shows some struggles with high-pressure catches instead of being a flexible rotation piece to the middle, where he plays best, or spelling our outside guys and using fresh legs to keep testing the deep ball). 

• Like (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, Coach Tuesday said:

This tells me they may go run heavy today.

Definite possibility. I think it will depend upon if Singletary is a go or not. Not sure if Gore can do another 100+ yarder this week. I believe the Titans are going to stack the box and make Josh try and beat them. I do foresee a lot of 2 tight end sets to protect Josh, with Duke being the big body down the field. Keep Smith on the right side to help Ford. No reason for Smith to be downfield. I hope Duke is ready and has a GREAT outing.

Glad to see Duke activated. ? Does Duke come down with that pass against the Pats on 4th and goal with a high pass from Barkley?

I have a feeling he does.  Duke is going to be and excellent Redzone threat for us.

Go Bills!

Edited by Real McCoy

Zay has skills, can block and run good routes. But god he drops so many passes an NFL receiver ought to make. I think those plays, Sean mentioned where he needed to become DB for the teams sake really hurt his chances here.

Can Duke get any separation? This is my biggest question.

53 minutes ago, LyndonvilleBill said:

Definite possibility. I think it will depend upon if Singletary is a go or not. Not sure if Gore can do another 100+ yarder this week. I believe the Titans are going to stack the box and make Josh try and beat them. I do foresee a lot of 2 tight end sets to protect Josh, with Duke being the big body down the field. Keep Smith on the right side to help Ford. No reason for Smith to be downfield. I hope Duke is ready and has a GREAT outing.

I have some hope that having Gore and the ego-free Bills locker room could be just the right thing for Yeldon to reach his potential. I don't think a head coach like Marrone and personalities like Fournette, Jack, and Ramsey were any good for Yeldon, and going from 2nd round pick to a somewhat dysfunctional Jags team might have humbled him somewhat. Given Foster's turnaround and the outperformance of most of the guys we've brought in on "prove it" one year deals, it's not unreasonable to think that this locker room and management can help talented underperformers to get things to click. There are going to be failures like Benjamin as a result of a lack of work ethic, but the team-first nature of these Bills reminds me of the Pats' ability to silence me-first stars like Moss and Brown (briefly) and push players with personal/maturity issues like Gordon to succeed.

43 minutes ago, davefan66 said:

Hopefully his time on the practice squad has helped him run more precise routes and get open more consistently.

I believe he has massive potential, hopefully it starts today.

Unfortunately, with the ridiculously wide field and goofy deep end zones in the CFL, precision route running isn’t a required skill.

But sideline or end zone contested catches are desired everywhere.

• Like (+1) 1