6. Super Bowl 3

5. Giants Pats first Super Bowl

4. San Diego Miami

3. Ice Bowl GB-Dallas

2. The Catch SF-Dallas

1. 1958 NFL Championship Colts Giants

2 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

1. 1958 NFL Championship Colts/Giants

Each player on the Colts received $4,718, Giants got $3,111 each.

Don't think one could even buy a Cadillac with that then.

But candy bars were a nickel, so it kind evened things out.

1 hour ago, Ethan in Portland said:

I'm surprised SB 25 is #10. I can think of a few other SuperBowls I would put ahead including Pitts Arizona with that amazing ending.

Also I think there are many playoff games I would put over SB25. The drive and the fumble between Cleveland and Denver as well as tuck rule game are just a few to consider.

Superbowl 25 is widely considered to be one of the best Superbowls ever.

• Like (+1) 1

I'm surprised SB 25 is #10. I can think of a few other SuperBowls I would put ahead including Pitts Arizona with that amazing ending.

Also I think there are many playoff games I would put over SB25. The drive and the fumble between Cleveland and Denver as well as tuck rule game are just a few to consider.

It's considered one of the best SB's ever played.  Back and forth game, HOF coaches and players on both teams.  Game came down to the final seconds.  And context: country just entered into war, and Whitney Houston sings what is thought to be one of the best, and most memorable, versions of the national anthem, ever...  

13 minutes ago, purple haze said:

It's considered one of the best SB's ever played.  Back and forth game, HOF coaches and players on both teams.  Game came down to the final seconds.  And context: country just entered into war, and Whitney Houston sings what is thought to be one of the best, and most memorable, versions of the national anthem, ever...  

Also, no turnovers.  

• Like (+1) 1

If it were really about great games SBXXV wouldn't even make the list at all............not even in the top 20 great Bills games probably.

That list is a hodgepodge of some truly great games and other important games with dramatic endings........but it's really just some programming they threw together so hardly worth much debate........thankfully every year there are lots of great games.

Edited by BADOLBILZ

32 minutes ago, purple haze said:

No argument there. But it's also defined by a missed kick. Where the Pittsburgh-Arizona game is defined by two of the greatest plays in NFL history in the same game. 

I know it is just a silly list, but I'd have to agree the Pats bias is a bit annoying.  Pats Falcons was a good game with one incredible catch, but was more a choke job by Atlanta than a good game. I'd put the Tuck rule game in the top 10 over that SB and even over the other Pats SuperBowl games. That game in the snow, that ruling which no one knew about, and the kicks Veneteri made changed the history of the NFL for the next 15 years. 

5 hours ago, Charles Romes said:

Bills in 2 of the Top 10, 3 of Top 100

26. Music City Miracle

10. Super Bowl 25

9. Pats Falcons Super Bowl

8. Pats Seahawks Super Bowl

7. The Comeback

6. Super Bowl 3

5. Giants Pats first Super Bowl

4. San Diego Miami

3. Ice Bowl GB-Dallas

2. The Catch SF-Dallas

1. 1958 NFL Championship Colts Giants

The catch game is way too high. I get the play, but circumstances count....It was a drive started with over 4 minutes left and multiple timeouts. It was a third down play with over 40 seconds left, so the game wasn't on the line yet. I get the big play was memorable but it just doesn't qualify for me to be in the top 10 games. Compare it with the San Diego Miami game which was electrically entertaining football.

5 minutes ago, Locomark said:

The catch game is way too high. I get the play, but circumstances count....It was a drive started with over 4 minutes left and multiple timeouts. It was a third down play with over 40 seconds left, so the game wasn't on the line yet. I get the big play was memorable but it just doesn't qualify for me to be in the top 10 games. Compare it with the San Diego Miami game which was electrically entertaining football.

I agree. The catch game was a joke IMO.  Few realize Montana threw three picks in that game. In today’s NFL the young QB very possibly would have gotten the hook and would never have had the chance to make the one memorable play.  

29 minutes ago, Locomark said:

19 minutes ago, Charles Romes said:

I agree. The catch game was a joke IMO.  Few realize Montana threw three picks in that game. In today’s NFL the young QB very possibly would have gotten the hook and would never have had the chance to make the one memorable play.  

It's interesting that Ed "Too Tall" Jones believes Joe Montana was actually throwing the ball away when Dwight Clark happened to see it and was able to jump just high enough to catch it.  Plausible theory, though I don't recall hearing Montana's response to that theory.

The three picks stat is long forgotten about and just a side note in history at this point.

1 hour ago, purple haze said:

If only Hostettler's hand was weaker, we possibly get a fumble recovery in the end zone instead of that safety.?

still can’t believe he held onto that ball....

51 minutes ago, Locomark said:

It formally marked the transition away from the Steelers/Cowboys dominance of the 70s.

Right to the catch I never thought the Cowboys would lose..

• Like (+1) 1

51 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Yes, for me, the San Diego/Miami game is by far the greatest NFL game I have seen in my lifetime. It was epic! I'm not old enough to have seen the Ice Bowl or the '58 championship (just highlights), but San Diego/Miami definitely ranks above "The Catch" for me too.  And even as a Bills fan, it ranks above "The Comeback" (as the list has it). 

Pats/Falcons Super Bowl was a great comeback, but it was not a great game overall, pretty boring to watch unless maybe you were a Pats fan...same with Pats/Seahawks. Good game, memorable ending, but lots of great games I would rank ahead of it.

13 minutes ago, folz said:

Yes, for me, the San Diego/Miami game is by far the greatest NFL game I have seen in my lifetime. It was epic! I'm not old enough to have seen the Ice Bowl or the '58 championship (just highlights), but San Diego/Miami definitely ranks above "The Catch" for me too.  And even as a Bills fan, it ranks above "The Comeback" (as the list has it). 

Pats/Falcons Super Bowl was a great comeback, but it was not a great game overall, pretty boring to watch unless maybe you were a Pats fan...same with Pats/Seahawks. Good game, memorable ending, but lots of great games I would rank ahead of it.

Miami game was too early in the playoffs and     the AFC was on the brink of being a total joke for SB losses

2 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

No argument there. But it's also defined by a missed kick. Where the Pittsburgh-Arizona game is defined by two of the greatest plays in NFL history in the same game. 

Those were two great plays, but wide right, unfortunately, was more dramatic.  And more memorable. And again, don't overlook the context the game was played in.  It's probably  a big reason the game is so memorialized.  It was truly an "escape" from war, for some, while symbolically patriotic at the same time: superstar Whitney Houston making people cry over the anthem, a fly over that actually had meaning in real time, armed security at the stadium.  And the game itself lived up to the hype.

12 minutes ago, purple haze said:

Those were two great plays, but wide right, unfortunately, was more dramatic.  And more memorable. And again, don't overlook the context the game was played in.  It's probably  a big reason the game is so memorialized.  It was truly an "escape" from war, for some, while symbolically patriotic at the same time: superstar Whitney Houston making people cry over the anthem, a fly over that actually had meaning in real time, armed security at the stadium.  And the game itself lived up to the hype.

I don't disagree with the context or the drama but that catch by Holmes is one of the 5 greatest catches in NFL history and it won a SuperBowl on nearly the last play. Making a play rather than not making a play means a little more to me.

And if context matters as I think it should with lists like this, then the catch is appropriately ranked. It marked the transition from the dominant teams of the 70's to the West coast offense and the birth of the modern passing game (along with Coryell).

SuperBowl III was a terrible game. But it marked the point when the AFL teams became equal with the original NFL teams. 

• Like (+1) 1