Bruce Smith & Ben Williams

Old Coot

100 Roundtable on Defensive Ends on NFL.com tonight:

Bruce gave props to Ben Williams.  On tape he noticed that Ben always kept his arms moving.  He asked ben why & Ben replied that it kept the OT. from holding him.  Bruce realized that separation from the OT was the key.  If you keep separation you can run and once your hip is behind the OTs hip it's over.

Jason Taylor gave props to Bruce for the way Bruce could slant his body outside of the OT.

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

Bruce gave props to Ben Williams.  On tape he noticed that Ben always kept his arms moving.  He asked ben why & Ben replied that it kept the OT. from holding him.  Bruce realized that separation from the OT was the key.  If you keep separation you can run and once your hip is behind the OTs hip it's over.

Jason Taylor gave props to Bruce for the way Bruce could slant his body outside of the OT.

I saw that round table.  None of those other guys; Howie Long, Michael Strahan, Jason Taylor, or Randy White were able to cut toward the QB like Bruce did.  I'd say Jason Taylor probably came the closest, while Randy White (and Howie) played in a different era and technique.  I wish we had a Bruce right now, it would make the defense elite.

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1
  • Thank you (+1) 1

7 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I saw that round table.  None of those other guys; Howie Long, Michael Strahan, Jason Taylor, or Randy White were able to cut toward the QB like Bruce did.  I'd say Jason Taylor probably came the closest, while Randy White (and Howie) played in a different era and technique.  I wish we had a Bruce right now, it would make the defense elite.

Last sentence.  So true

• Like (+1) 1

33 minutes ago, Old Coot said:

I always loved Ben Williams' game. he was always putting pressure on the QB.And he wasnt a huge guy. Those Chuck Knox era teams were great.

• Like (+1) 4

37 minutes ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Bruce Smith was amazing. He could take over an entire game...one man momentum shift!

5 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

Adding Bruce to any defense would make it elite.  

7 hours ago, Happy Gilmore said:

I read where Von Miller might be available. He's not a DE, but he could be another Biscuit for us.

8 hours ago, Old Coot said:

It's great how he reached out to the Bills alum for tips.

6 minutes ago, the skycap said:

I read where Von Miller might be available. He's not a DE, but he could be another Biscuit for us.

It's great how he reached out to the Bills alum for tips.

Did you mean Miller reached out to Smith?  

Or Smith reached out to Williams?  Cuz he didn’t have to - they overlapped I think

29 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Or Smith reached out to Williams?  Cuz he didn’t have to - they overlapped I think

Smith to Williams. I'm saying it's great that he brought up an alum as an example as opposed to a great from another team

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Bruce was a rookie in 1985 which was the last season Williams played.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, the skycap said:

While this would be enticing, Vonn Miller plays OLB in a 3-4 scheme.  Not sure how well he would transfer over to McD's 4-3 scheme.

6 hours ago, Buffalo Barbarian said:

Who is Ben Williams?

Oh no!! Ben Williams was a key DE in Chuck Knox's innovative 3-4 defensive scheme in the early 80s. Most folks remember the "Bermuda Triangle" from that time, with Fred Smerlas at nose tackle and Jim Haslett & (highly underrated) Shane Nelson at ILB, but Williams and Sherm White were the standout DE bookends to the triangle. Both DEs were tough against the run, great pass rushers and super steady/durable. Adding clever vet Butch Robertson and vicious hitter Lucius Sanford at OLB, and that front seven was  just lethal ... I still think Bills would have won the 1980 Super Bowl if Fergy hadn't sprained his ankle. 

• Like (+1) 4
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Stranded in Boston said:

Oh no!! Ben Williams was a key DE in Chuck Knox's innovative 3-4 defensive scheme in the early 80s. Most folks remember the "Bermuda Triangle" from that time, with Fred Smerlas at nose tackle and Jim Haslett & (highly underrated) Shane Nelson at ILB, but Williams and Sherm White were the standout DE bookends to the triangle. Both DEs were tough against the run, great pass rushers and super steady/durable. Adding clever vet Butch Robertson and vicious hitter Lucius Sanford at OLB, and that front seven was  just lethal ... I still think Bills would have won the 1980 Super Bowl if Fergy hadn't sprained his ankle. 

That defense was amazing.  Fergy spraining his ankle cost us against the Chargers.

3 hours ago, Stranded in Boston said:

Well done. Most of the kids on this board have no recollection of how good that team was. I have no doubt Bills win SB with a healthy Ferguson in part to the fact the Raiders and Eagles were two of the weaker SB participants of all time. Bills D would have handled Raiders offense in AFC championship with ease as well as the Eagles offense in the SB.

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Well done. Most of the kids on this board have no recollection of how good that team was. I have no doubt Bills win SB with a healthy Ferguson in part to the fact the Raiders and Eagles were two of the weaker SB participants of all time. Bills D would have handled Raiders offense in AFC championship with ease as well as the Eagles offense in the SB.

So true.

Gentle Ben! We crushed the Raiders week 5 at home. Actually, that began the Plunkett resurgence as we broke Pastorini’s leg. They beat Cleveland in a freeze bowl in Cleveland, ending Brian Sipes’ Cardiac Kids season. 

We’d have whooped ‘em agin, if’n we coulda beat Fouts one more time.

• Like (+1) 1