Is Josh ‘too Favre’ like? (Athletic pay wall)

TroutDog

3 minutes ago, TroutDog said:

It’s a business and an insanely profitable one at that. Simple as that, really. That trumps science for this for the NFL, in my opinion. 

Yes, the NFL ‘cares’ but they really want the most exciting players on the field and Josh is one. 

But you also want players to have long careers and stay on the field long term. There is no perfect solution but I think a mandatory sit out is a basic safety procedure that seems like a good idea to provide a basic level of safety. 

4 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The problem with the idea of a mandatory sit-out period is that concussions are really variable.  Something that doesn't look like much can give a guy a concussion where symptoms persist for months.  Something that looks major can resolve in a few days.  So if you make the sit-out period long enough to fit the persistent case, you're depriving a guy who heals quickly of valuable development and career exposure (and the team of his services).  If you make it short enough not to be too big a deal, it's useless in the persistent case.

That's why what they came up with, individualized baseline testing and neurological evaluation/repeat testing, makes much more sense.

The place where the NFL does not show it cares IMO is in imposing consistent penalties for helmet to helmet contact.

I don't see a one week sit out period hurting anyone. It is at best a safety procedure that will help some players avoid doing worse damage and at worse some players miss some games. I think when it comes to head injuries giving people some extra time to heal can't hurt. 

2 hours ago, Bangarang said:

I have always said that I’m willing to live with the risks and INTs if it also means Allen throws a lot of TDs and we score a bunch of points. 

Exactly. If you're gonna throw 3 picks, you have to balance that out with production. I think it's a foregone conclusion that Allen is going to be turnover prone with his style of play and I'm pretty much OK with that. The key will be whether or not he can start producing at a higher clip. That would come with some more efficiency in the short game(we saw it for 2.5 games) and also more connections on the deep throws(we have yet to see that). 

I think anyone in their right mind would be fine with Allen having a Favre like career. It's almost comical to think otherwise. Is there anyone that would be disappointed with that? Serious question.

• Like (+1) 1

2 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

The real key as I see it is the answer to the question "what did you see?".  Is he not processing the field, or does he see it and just believe he's got such a rifle that he can fit a throw into tighter windows than he actually can, in the NFL.  If he can't process the field, he can't last.  If he's seeing it, but just struggling to get it through his head which throws he can't make, that's probably correctable.

Do you think that is what Daboll was saying to Josh after that interception?  I don't get the feeling "What did you see?" was even a footnote to the conversation, I hope I am wrong.

I am getting a bad feeling about Daboll coaching Allen up to his potential.  Just a gut feeling, I hope I am wrong.

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Lastly, it IS coachable to switch this mentality. 

It was coachable in Favre. It doesn’t mean you can change every player’s mentality who has that particular gene.

The article mentions that there have been quite a few players who went by the wayside who couldn’t be coached out of repeatedly making those aggressive, I can do anything mistakes.

Let’s hope Allen can tame that aggressiveness somewhat.

• Like (+1) 1

12 minutes ago, par73 said:

Favre is a Super Bowl- winning HOF QB. Allen does not belong in the same sentence, at this point.

Yes. Comparing Allen to Favre, even if it’s only a “mentality” comparison, is folly. How bout we let Allen develop into his own man? He way ahead of where I thought he’d be already, and he’s going to get better.

Also, mods, if you’re shutting down comparison threads like the Mahomes one from thursday, might as well shut this one down too...or are we only shutting down negative comparisons for Allen?

4 hours ago, par73 said:

Favre is a Super Bowl- winning HOF QB. Allen does not belong in the same sentence, at this point.

4 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

Yes. Comparing Allen to Favre, even if it’s only a “mentality” comparison, is folly. How bout we let Allen develop into his own man? He way ahead of where I thought he’d be already, and he’s going to get better.

Also, mods, if you’re shutting down comparison threads like the Mahomes one from thursday, might as well shut this one down too...or are we only shutting down negative comparisons for Allen?

This thread is in response to a specific article in which Steve Mariucci and Brett Favre both talked about Allen and his comparison to Favre.

Perhaps you can send them each a strongly worded letter to stop comparing the two.

• Haha (+1) 1

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

This thread is in response to a specific article in which Steve Mariucci and Brett Favre both talked about Allen and his comparison to Favre.

Perhaps you can send them each a strongly worded letter to stop comparing the two.

I know i know...positive comparisons should be promoted...even the bottom bit** allen folks are starting to waver.

24 minutes ago, JoPar_v2 said:

I know i know...positive comparisons should be promoted...even the bottom bit** allen folks are starting to waver.

I think the difference is that this thread involved a substantive discussion on Allen's traits (good and bad) by a HOF QB and a former NFL coach. As opposed to the thread you mentioned which involved the typical "Bills made a mistake in not drafting Mahommes" whining - which is pointless, non-productive, and has been beaten to death.

There are plenty of threads devoted to, or filled with, negative aspects of Allen's game that have not been shut down because they have some valid points. There is a small percentage of fans who believe he will be a bust and refuse to acknowledge anything good about his game - just as there is a small percentage of fans who can see no bad in his game. 

Those of us who approach it rationally and objectively aren't waivering. We understand the immense talent and potential while acknowledging the lack of polish and raw nature of his game. We understand that he is a very bright kid who has shown tremendous growth since he first stepped onto an NFL field last year, yet, has so much to still learn. We understand that, at this point, there is good and bad to Allen's game - and there will be for a while because of the type of mentality he plays with. Thus, the comparisons in the referenced article between Allen and Favre. It is a legitimate discussion, not a positive promotion.

Most of us aren't waivering at all. We are being patient.

Edited by billsfan1959
  • Like (+1) 1

9 hours ago, JoPar_v2 said:

..dead on....go back and read the 2004 pre-draft prognostications from "expert urinalists".......JP Losman was labelled the "heir apparent gunslinger to Favre going to the Pack at #23"......Jaws yapped about how "smart Losman is with the football".....and Tom "Terrific" Donohoe took the bait hook, line and sinker to snooker (COUGH) the Pack......as the late great Paul Harvey would say,...."you know the REST of the story..."....

• Awesome! (+1) 1