Next Gen Stats says Bills' pass blocking is NFL's second-best

HOUSE

1 minute ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

? test.  Bills 3-1 (hopefully 4-1) and they stymied the Pats ** offense.   

Someone is doing something right. 

Imagine eliminating the mistakes!!!!!!

To the good or bad? 

Im not saying the OL is bad, its a lot better than we had.  I am saying they have not been at the level of 2nd best pass blocking in the league narrowly behind Dallas.  The right side of the line has been wildly inconsistent and a mess at times.  

Again, by no means am I claiming they are terrible at pass protection, but just watching the games there is no way they are the 2nd best unit in football so far at it.  

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, BeefCurtns said:

It has to be the best Josh holds the ball for 45 minutes every pass.

True, but you also have to consider what the O-line is facing.  The Patriots understood Josh Allen's weakness and tendencies, and so they brought some heavy blitzing.  A quarterback proficient at making quick reads would have been able to exploit this.

• Awesome! (+1) 2

4 minutes ago, Buffalo Boy said:

Did they watch the Pats game????

The Offense’s woes in that game were 90% on Allen.  

I say that as someone who is still very high on Josh.   His next step, beyond decision making, is making teams pay for blitzing by being ok taking what the defense gives us. 

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 2

14 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

They are certainly better than the last few years...by a good margin.  So you are definitely right about that.  

#2 though?  The article claims second only to Dallas.  IMO, not a chance, not the way the right side has been a mess.  

I agree— seems high. But some would argue that JA holds the ball too long. I would like to see the QB stats on release time. 

Edit: I found the QB release time stats. JA is 2.9 seconds, which is on the higher side but not abnormally high. For example, Dak is the same. So don’t think that explains anything.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing

Edited by JR in Pittsburgh
  • Like (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

They are certainly better than the last few years...by a good margin.  So you are definitely right about that.  

#2 though?  The article claims second only to Dallas.  IMO, not a chance, not the way the right side has been a mess.  

1-32 where do you put them and how many lines don’t have at least 1 bad player?

are we quibbling over 2 vs 7-10 or more like 2 vs 27 in your opinion?

Edited by NoSaint

8 minutes ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I agree— seems high. But some would argue that JA holds the ball too long. I would like to see the QB stats on release time. 

Edit: I found the QB release time stats. JA is 2.9 seconds, which is on the higher side but not abnormally high. For example, Dak is the same. So don’t think that explains anything.

https://nextgenstats.nfl.com/stats/passing

To be honest, I thought it was going to be higher than that given the amount of times Allen is dodging and weaving with his legs back there too.  So that was actually pretty solid considering how much he uses his legs.  

• Like (+1) 1

4 minutes ago, SCBills said:

The Offense’s woes in that game were 90% on Allen.  

I say that as someone who is still very high on Josh.   His next step, beyond decision making, is making teams pay for blitzing by being ok taking what the defense gives us. 

Josh is going to have to walk that delicate balance between taking what a defense gives you and being too conservative. I am still high on Josh but this board is so bipolar that one bad game and sudden Josh is trash. When in reality Josh is a young QB with good skills and bad habits. He isn't a finished product and is going to need some time to work on his decision making abilities. You can't go from a franchise QB to a bum in just a week. 

• Like (+1) 2

6 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

1-32 where do you put them and how many lines don’t have at least 1 bad player?

are we quibbling over 2 vs 7-10 or more like 2 vs 27 in your opinion?

Again, I am not saying they are bottom of the league.  Said they are much better than what we have had.  But they are also not worthy of a top tier ranking IMO.  

For instance, think of the top 3 QB's in the league...then look at the guys ranked say 9th or so.  There is a big difference even though the ranks are not that far apart.  Ranking us as #2 best pass protection would tell me its a major strength and near elite if being ranked so close to someone like Dallas.  I do not believe our pass protection has been elite.  

2 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Again, I am not saying they are bottom of the league.  Said they are much better than what we have had.  But they are also not worthy of a top tier ranking IMO.  

For instance, think of the top 3 QB's in the league...then look at the guys ranked say 9th or so.  There is a big difference even though the ranks are not that far apart.  Ranking us as #2 best pass protection would tell me its a major strength and near elite if being ranked so close to someone like Dallas.  I do not believe our pass protection has been elite.  

So where would you rank them?

also I think qb is an incredible outlier for these kinds of conversations generally. 

I thought passpro was poor in the Pats game - though the Pats blitzed a lot and I'm not sure how Next Gen Stats graded out the five offensive linemen in those situations.   Someone else may be assigned the blame when the D blitzes.  

I think passpro has been average-ish thus far this season.  And I'm happy with the progress versus 2018.  

56 minutes ago, NoSaint said:

So where would you rank them?

also I think qb is an incredible outlier for these kinds of conversations generally. 

Fair enough on the QB comment, thats true.  But I think they have been too weak on the right side and a bit inconsistent.  Hard for me to say where I would rank them without fully evaluating other teams.  Im only disagreeing with being second best.  I wouldn't have had an issue if they said like 10th or something.  Im also not sweating the OL, they have 4 new guys, a rookie, some guys getting dinged up, etc.  I feel like they will get better as the season goes on.  

2 hours ago, Shaw66 said:

I think that's nonsense.   It shows how ridiculous these fake stats are.  I've watched a lot of pro football this season, and I've been at three of the first four Bills games, and I will tell you that Josh Allen is NOT getting the protection a lot of other QBs are getting.   

Completely agree, ESPN doesn’t have quality content anymore though so I’m not surprised. There is much better information out there. 

No doubt you guys eye balling from the upper deck have a much better read than paid employees pouring through game film with software ?

Part of the problem is Josh is holding the ball too long, not always but too often. I think the bigger issue is he's still having trouble identifying where rushers are coming from and so we're not in the right protections a lot of the time. I will admit he's getting better at that though. That SI article did a nice job pointing out ways Daboll has helped the issue with pre-snap motions which force the defense to show coverage schemes but you can't do that every down. 

I agree that there have been issues on the right side but for the most part we've looked so much better than last year it's night and day. Credit Beane and Bobby J for bringing in help and coaching them up.   

Edited by VW82
  • Like (+1) 1

I looked at where this stat comes from.  ESPN.  Here is the link: https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/27584726/nfl-pass-blocking-pass-rushing-rankings-2019-pbwr-prwr-leaderboard

Our Pass Block Win Rate metric tells us the rate at which linemen can sustain their blocks for 2.5 seconds or longer.

Both our tackles Nsekhe and Dawkins rate #8 and #10 at 92% according to them and Morse ranks 9th at center with 95%.  Our guards did not make top 10.  They also have a pass rush win rate for defense.  Only Oliver cracked their top 10 list.  Not sure how they are ranking the teams as a whole because we have 3 guys in the top 10.  So do the Packers but their guys individually rank higher than ours yet their team ranks lower.

As for my own eyeballs... I would say we have a "boom or bust" offensive line.  There are times where guys are just blown up from the snap with people on Allen almost immediately.  Then there are other times when our line does really well and Allen has lots of time.

Edited by Scott7975

3 hours ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I am a football junkie...so I watch more than you might think...but obviously not watching all 31 other teams as close as Bills.

But I don't need to watch the other teams to know if the Bills line is playing well or not.  There is not a chance in hell I would rank the Bills OL pass blocking as second best and narrowly behind #1 Dallas.  

Right side of the line has been a mess, and I would heavily argue our run blocking has been superior to our pass blocking by a decent margin.  

Right side has been overloaded as Dawkins gets beat too often

I think the pass blocking, especially the interior linemen, has been decent. Dawkins hasn't been great, but he hasn't been AS BAD as the narrative. Ford has been a liability in pass pro, but Nike has been adequate. My issue with the line is downhill blocking. I'd like to see them dominate a few series. It's better than last year, but it's still not where it needs to be.