Next Gen Stats says Bills' pass blocking is NFL's second-best

HOUSE

1 hour ago, GunnerBill said:

That has happened very rarely and only when blitzed. As said above the line can only block 5. 

Yep. One of the main ways Brady excels is in his ability to process his reads quickly, and understand how abbreviated that process should be vs. a blitz (e.g. reading just half the field knowing that there should be an open target against fewer players in coverage). Allen plays his best when he prioritizes getting an acceptable throw off during his dropback; he fails to move the ball and exposes himself to hits and turnovers when he is tentative in throwing quickly to receivers in coverage, waiting for either a clear break  with the idea that he can run if nothing opens up. His bad habits amplify each other, and he frequently settles into a habit of holding the ball when pass blocking is good, which defenses then exploit through the blitz and force him into late, rash decisions.

The o-line looks very good; seeing Russell Wilson running for his life on Thursday, or most other Seahawks games over the last few years, is what an incompetent line actually looks like. As for the statistic itself, I would note that our weakness (RT getting beaten frequently off the snap vs. speed/stacked rush) is the prevalence of getting beaten early, which overall win rates do not address. The stat has to be looked at in tandem with the percentage of plays in which the blocker is beaten within 2 seconds (we probably rank much lower in that regard).

Edited by ny33

While I don't watch much of the other 31 teams this year, I can't argue that pass pro hasn't been good for most of the year. I can recall screaming at the TV when Allen has all day to throw and can't pu the trigger more than I can recall screaming at the TV for bad pass protection.

• Like (+1) 1

7 hours ago, GunnerBill said:

That has happened very rarely and only when blitzed. As said above the line can only block 5. 

Sorry Gunner. Sitting live at the Cinci game at midfield there were numerous occasions when our guards were being beat cleanly almost immediately by DLs. Everyone around me kept saying the same thing...he has no time and its more often than you would think. 

11 minutes ago, Locomark said:

Sorry Gunner. Sitting live at the Cinci game at midfield there were numerous occasions when our guards were being beat cleanly almost immediately by DLs. Everyone around me kept saying the same thing...he has no time and its more often than you would think. 

Of course our linemen get beat. I think you guys are getting too caught up in the 2nd overall ranking. The number is 63%, as in 37% of the time our linemen get beat one on one within 2.5 seconds of the ball being snapped (i.e. the average time it takes an NFL QB to throw the ball).  

Edited by VW82

3 hours ago, Locomark said:

Watch the all22. It was not the case. Not saying it never happens, but it was rare.

16 minutes ago, BadboyBills said:

Our line took over after the injuries it seemed. Feliciano didnt look out of place and Spencer slid in seamlessly. Something to think about but happy we have versatile players!

Worryingly I thought it looked instantly better when Bates was in for Ford. 

Feliciano and Long could hold the fort if required. I think Bates might be our best RT based on today's limited sample size. Even when Ty is healthy. 

4 hours ago, VW82 said:

Of course our linemen get beat. I think you guys are getting too caught up in the 2nd overall ranking. The number is 63%, as in 37% of the time our linemen get beat one on one within 2.5 seconds of the ball being snapped (i.e. the average time it takes an NFL QB to throw the ball).  

It it should underscore how common that is if it happening more than a third of snaps is still ranked that high