Next Gen Stats says Bills' pass blocking is NFL's second-best

The Bills offensive line is better than some suggest, according to ESPN’s Next Gen Stats.

Stacking up the “pass blocking win rate” for every team, the Bills clock in at a 65.3 percent success rate. That number only barely trails the best team in the NFL, the Cowboys, who are at 65.6 percent.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/04/next-gen-stats-says-bills-pass-blocking-is-nfls-second-best/

• Like (+1) 1

The offensive line has been pass blocking sufficiently well most of the time for the offense to have success. It is often made to look a lot worse than it is by Josh Allen, who either holds onto the ball too long or "sees ghosts" (as he did constantly against New England) and rolls out when he doesn't need to or runs himself right into a sack.

They're not perfect, to be sure, but they're good enough. The Bills are 9th in the NFL in offensive yardage gained, even WITH Allen's shortcomings thus far.

• Like (+1) 6
  • Thank you (+1) 2

I think people have unrealistic expectations when it comes to Offensive line performance, especially in Pass Protection.  We can't expect any O-line to be some kind of shut-out umbrella that can protect a QB indefinitely.  They simply cannot.  Defensive fronts have become way to quick and stunting schemes have become way to sophisticated to expect an O-line to lock out a defensive pass rush.  Defenders will get there.

It's also a function of receivers getting separation and QB's anticipating and having a quick triggers.

Not very many teams out there have outstanding Offensive Lines.  Every one of them has holes.

Also, outside of Dante Scarnecchia, there's really a sad shortage of great coaching out there at both the pro and college ranks.

• Like (+1) 1

I think the interior of our line is fantastic.  Spain-Morse-Feliciano. 

Dawkins is average at LT, which is worth a pretty penny in today’s NFL.  

RT is really our only issue.  

That equates to a pretty good OL.  

• Like (+1) 4
  • Thank you (+1) 1

30 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

The Bills offensive line is better than some suggest, according to ESPN’s Next Gen Stats.

Stacking up the “pass blocking win rate” for every team, the Bills clock in at a 65.3 percent success rate. That number only barely trails the best team in the NFL, the Cowboys, who are at 65.6 percent.

https://billswire.usatoday.com/2019/10/04/next-gen-stats-says-bills-pass-blocking-is-nfls-second-best/

This is complete BS. No ‘so called sports agency’ knows the Bills better than TSW posters. I know. I’ve asked them. Our OL is complete trash. We haven’t upgraded any position, the rookie sucks and the FAs are overrated and injury prone.

Take this made up garbage and GTHO here!

• Haha (+1) 7
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

This is complete BS. No ‘so called sports agency’ knows the Bills better than TSW posters. I know. I’ve asked them. Our OL is complete trash. We haven’t upgraded any position, the rookie sucks and the FAs are overrated and injury prone.

I don't think I've ever seen anyone say anything like that.

Well, other than that the rookie sucks, which he kinda does at RT.

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, Chandler#81 said:

It has to be the best Josh holds the ball for 45 minutes every pass.

• Like (+1) 1

I think that's nonsense.   It shows how ridiculous these fake stats are.  I've watched a lot of pro football this season, and I've been at three of the first four Bills games, and I will tell you that Josh Allen is NOT getting the protection a lot of other QBs are getting.   

• Like (+1) 4

32 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

Eyeball test says otherwise.

How many of the other 31 have you watched?

i wouldn’t say second best but probably think they rank higher than most here would consider. As most lines aren’t that good.

18 minutes ago, SCBills said:

I think the interior of our line is fantastic.  Spain-Morse-Feliciano. 

Dawkins is average at LT, which is worth a pretty penny in today’s NFL.  

RT is really our only issue.  

That equates to a pretty good OL.  

Generally speaking, yup. 

Just now, NoSaint said:

How many of the other 31 have you watched?

i wouldn’t say second best but probably think they rank higher than most here would consider. As most lines aren’t that good.

I am a football junkie...so I watch more than you might think...but obviously not watching all 31 other teams as close as Bills.

But I don't need to watch the other teams to know if the Bills line is playing well or not.  There is not a chance in hell I would rank the Bills OL pass blocking as second best and narrowly behind #1 Dallas.  

Right side of the line has been a mess, and I would heavily argue our run blocking has been superior to our pass blocking by a decent margin.  

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Alphadawg7 said:

I am a football junkie...so I watch more than you might think...but obviously not watching all 31 other teams as close as Bills.

But I don't need to watch the other teams to know if the Bills line is playing well or not.  There is not a chance in hell I would rank the Bills OL pass blocking as second best and narrowly behind #1 Dallas.  

Right side of the line has been a mess, and I would heavily argue our run blocking has been superior to our pass blocking by a decent margin.  

well said. and that is the exact reason to follow the process imo. meaning, run the ball. give Josh quick outs early. and take your strikes downfield. this is how to maximize this year's roster . and to build Josh's confidence. jmo

• Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

1 minute ago, JR in Pittsburgh said:

I’ve thought our oline has done a nice job all year. Glad that the data supports me.

in light of all the criticism on here, I figured I was alone and was just thinking they were good because they are relatively better than the last few years. 

They are certainly better than the last few years...by a good margin.  So you are definitely right about that.  

#2 though?  The article claims second only to Dallas.  IMO, not a chance, not the way the right side has been a mess.