Josh Allen’s deep ball hasn’t been there so far

YoloinOhio

38 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

Allen has improved greatly in the short game and, honestly, is probably best in the 20-25 yard range. I don't know why all the concern on deep passes as they shouldn't be calling that many of them anyway with the receivers they have outside of Brown.

Because we want "showtime arena football" excitement - screw football in its pure form! How many of those posting would sit in Minneapolis during the 1960's on a cold gray day watching smash mouth football by the Purple People Eaters and winning? 

30 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How so?  Curious... I haven’t seen any claims of Allen having been accurate with his deep ball?

Why?  He isn’t fast

3 Wins One loss - Guess that's not good enough!

• Like (+1) 1

37 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

How so?  Curious... I haven’t seen any claims of Allen having been accurate with his deep ball?

6 minutes ago, vorpma said:

3 Wins One loss - Guess that's not good enough!

Just really curious now how you get from my post above to your response. 

3-1 is pretty good for us so far AND Allen has not been connecting on his deep ball.

30 minutes ago, london_bills said:

On every one of those deep balls there's an underneath route open.

Not sure about every one, but certainly Allen has at times passed up (or not seen) what the D is giving him underneath.

23 minutes ago, Sunshower said:

He’s had opportunities though, he just misfires.

Barring throw aways, I can almost never say that.  Timing is so tricky.  Allen has to understand what speed his WR has, guess on the impact of wind, and the WR has to be able to release and run as fast as he does in practice.  Is it Allen misfiring or the misjudging the wind or misjudging the WR speed or the WR not getting a clean release - it's hard for me to tell.  If you can be so confident it's Allen misfiring, I guess more power to you.

• Like (+1) 1

50 minutes ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Why?  He isn’t fast

Simple...  I work in an environment like this, probably filled with people that think Entirely the same way. 

1) Theres a problem.

2) the things that have been tried aren’t fixing it. 

3) There is a thing that hasn’t been tried yet. 

4) That must be the thing to fix the problem. 

1 hour ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

3-1 is pretty good for us so far AND Allen has not been connecting on his deep ball.

Not sure about every one, but certainly Allen has at times passed up (or not seen) what the D is giving him underneath.

Barring throw aways, I can almost never say that.  Timing is so tricky.  Allen has to understand what speed his WR has, guess on the impact of wind, and the WR has to be able to release and run as fast as he does in practice.  Is it Allen misfiring or the misjudging the wind or misjudging the WR speed or the WR not getting a clean release - it's hard for me to tell.  If you can be so confident it's Allen misfiring, I guess more power to you.

To Hapless Bills Fan, "3-1 is pretty good for us so far AND Allen has not been connecting on his deep ball," so what? The only statistic that counts is won - loss!

I'm not surprised that Allen's better with medium passes.  We have better wideouts this season and Allen's been working hard on this.

I'm not completely surprised with the turnovers.  I expected more growing pains.

I am surprised with the anemic deep game.  The Bills have guys who can run and Allen has a cannon for an arm.  I expected more accuracy and productivity than what we've seen so far.   I admit, I'm worried. 

• Like (+1) 2

2 hours ago, Sunshower said:

He’s had opportunities though, he just misfires.

Certainly. I'm okay with that right now, though. All they need to do is keep taking those shots and teams will respect it, even if they're not successful. As long as the defense is committing that safety over the top, it'll open up other stuff.

4 hours ago, LeGOATski said:

I'm not too concerned about the deep stuff right now, since teams know that's a threat and they're focusing on it.

Daboll put more emphasis on the short game this year, as necessary. Once they establish success with short passing and the run game, they should have higher-percentage opportunities in the deep game later.

And thats the truth. Establish the run game and short passing game. Scrub the hero deep ball for now and let your defense dominate. 

• Like (+1) 1

4 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

On a few it isn’t a misfire, so much as poor trajectory. He has to start putting more air under the ball so DBs can’t jump and make a play. 

21 hours ago, Hapless Bills Fan said:

Hapless Bill’s Fan is a [edited out useless content and cheap insults] 

Edited by Hapless Bills Fan
Seriously? Get a Life, Pats Troll
  • Sad 1

Could be something he always struggles with. Hard to believe a guy with that strong an arm would have issues hitting a deep ball. Ryan tannehill was horrible at it and never got better. Tyrod threw a great deep ball but struggled underneath. It always seems to be one or the other for us anyways

18 hours ago, George C said:

Mahomes nightmares again...

Mahomes was 0 for 11 on deep balls last week.  But it was the first time in his career he wasn’t credited with at least one deep completion.  And they still won. 

This is disappointing so far, but I am still holding out hope: i have a $20 bet with my Chiefs fan coworker: longest in the air completed pass - JA v PM.

If anyone can point me to where this particular statistic is recorded, I'd appreciate it.

2 hours ago, HappyDays said:

Is this something you can get better at? It isn't always a mechanics issue for him. Sometimes he just overthrows it by 5 yards for no apparent reason. He may never be an accurate deep passer.

This is it. How can his accuracy just GET better? Deep ball is one thing, Look at the first series against the pats - throw to Gore in the flats  - couldn't even hit this!!

• Sad 1