Ty Nsekhe DNP all week with ankle injury

YoloinOhio

And they cut Connor McDermott, so come Sunday they will likely only have 2 healthy OTs in Ford and Dawkins... Bates can swing out to OT and inside, but he's a late round rookie, so there;s a lot of risk having him be your only OT backup on the roster. 

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, MR8 said:

And they cut Connor McDermott, so come Sunday they will likely only have 2 healthy OTs in Ford and Dawkins... Bates can swing out to OT and inside, but he's a late round rookie, so there;s a lot of risk having him be your only OT backup on the roster. 

Yep, kinda weird if Ty is hurt that Bates is whats left(UDFA i think)

• Like (+1) 1

Just now, plenzmd1 said:

Yep, kinda weird if Ty is hurt that Bates is whats left(UDFA i think)

Yeah you could be right, I thought he was a 7th for Philly but honestly don't know for sure.  Either way this was an odd move, I expected them to cut Ike Boettger since they have plenty of interior linemen. 

• Like (+1) 1

11 minutes ago, MR8 said:

so maybe they are confident Ty can go on Sunday, and have just been keeping him out of practice as a precaution? 

• Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, MR8 said:

I understand why they cleared a roster spot: They'll either need to call up Davis Webb or may choose to call up Duke Williams. I AM confused, however, by the fact that it was McDermott that got the boot, since Nsekhe is ailing and may not play. Tackle depth is frightening right now.

• Thank you (+1) 1

10 minutes ago, Logic said:

If he doesn't go on Sunday (which he probably won't), then Daboll needs to make sure to give Ford help on the right side. I'd station Lee Smith or Tommy Sweeney next to him just about all day long.

No way would I want Lee Smith coming anywhere near the field man! He exceeded his quota of penalties for the season in one game vs. the Pats.

• Like (+1) 2
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

13 minutes ago, Logic said:

If he doesn't go on Sunday (which he probably won't), then Daboll needs to make sure to give Ford help on the right side. I'd station Lee Smith or Tommy Sweeney next to him just about all day long.

Still baffles me that Buffalo traded up to 38 for Ford to play OT and found out early in camp he couldn't handle the speed of the position. If they've gotta put a TE next to him, that's one less guy defenses have to respect in the passing game.  Because Buffalo doesn't have the horses at RB right now to maintain drives with a run first attack.   

Teams that trade up for guards aren't using their draft capital efficiently, unless it's the final piece of building their OL.  (Edit) And Buffalo's revamp is not the HR some were making it out to be. 

Nsekhe isn't going to play Sunday if he didn't practice today.  It's going to mean someone entirely new will be getting PT.   It's decisions like taking Ford that make me question the offensive personnel evaluation OBD has conducted these past couple years. 

Edited by BillsVet
  • Like (+1) 2

5 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Still baffles me that Buffalo traded up to 38 for Ford to play OT and found out early in camp he couldn't handle the speed of the position. If they've gotta put a TE next to him, that's one less guy defenses have to respect in the passing game.  Because Buffalo doesn't have the horses at RB right now to maintain drives with a run first attack.   

Teams that trade up for guards aren't using their draft capital efficiently, unless it's the final piece of building their OL.

I don’t hate it.  Ideally, Ford would be starting G this year, but I think on the negative side, they realized Nsehke needs to be on a snap count, and on the positive side, Spain and Feliciano are very good.  

Can never have too many good linemen - just so happens we seem to be very good at G/C and average to bad at T so far. 

Edited by SCBills

10 minutes ago, IgotBILLStopay said:

No way would I want Lee Smith coming anywhere near the field man! He exceeded his quota of penalties for the season in one game vs. the Pats.

You're right, he got penalized a lot. Part of the reason is that he's a mean *****. He also happens to be the best blocking tight end in football. One game in which he made boneheaded mistakes do not cancel out the three previous games, where he was out there mauling people, protecting the QB, and opening big holes in the running game. I promise you, a Ford/Smith combo on the right side is going to keep Allen or Barkley's jersey cleaner than Ford on an island. If it comes with a penalty or two, so be it...it's better than watching the quarterback get driven into the turf by an unobstructed linebacker.

• Like (+1) 3

16 minutes ago, MR8 said:

I think they like Bates better than McDermott, not only for his versatility, but in preseason Bates played pretty well.  They also traded for him.  When you think of it...and look at the roster then, who else could they have cut that wouldn't automatically be picked up by someone else?   There only options would have been to move a player to IR, which they obviously don't want to do.  (Kroft, for example)

17 minutes ago, PaattMaann said:

so maybe they are confident Ty can go on Sunday, and have just been keeping him out of practice as a precaution? 

It would be very rare for a player to be active on Sunday if they don’t practice at all. He would at least be limited today. 

• Like (+1) 2

12 minutes ago, BillsVet said:

Teams that trade up for guards aren't using their draft capital efficiently, unless it's the final piece of building their OL.  (Edit) And Buffalo's revamp is not the HR some were making it out to be. 

Nsekhe isn't going to play Sunday if he didn't practice today.  It's going to mean someone entirely new will be getting PT.   It's decisions like taking Ford that make me question the offensive personnel evaluation OBD has conducted these past couple years. 

Agree to disagree. The Bills offensive line currently has the highest "win rate" in pass blocking of any offensive line in football. They have also paved the way for a consistently productive running game thus far. The Bills are 9th in the NFL in offensive yards gained this year. 

When you consider how historically bad the offensive line was last year, and you consider the fact that they changed out 4 of 5 starters in one offseason and have somehow still managed to produce pretty good offensive line play, you can only reasonably conclude that it was a well accomplished overhaul.

As for Ford: I agree that it's disappointing that he doesn't seem to have a future at right tackle. If he winds up being a dominant guard for a decade, though -- which it looks like he has the talent to be -- then I'm fine with the pick.

Any way you slice it, the Bills appear to have gotten four starting caliber players out of this draft (Oliver, Ford, Knox, and Singletary), two of whom (Oliver and Knox) have clear star potential. That's a good draft. No one hits on 100% of their draft picks (ask the great Bill Belichick), but Beane has been hitting on far more than he's been missing on.

• Like (+1) 3

7 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It would be very rare for a player to be active on Sunday if they don’t practice at all. He would at least be limited today. 

it would be very rare for a team to go into a game with the limited amount of active tackles they currently have too, wouldnt it? 

So, one of these things is gonna be rare, whether he plays or not (unless they for some reason put another tackle on the roster).

• Like (+1) 1

22 minutes ago, MR8 said:

Well, the guys who released McDermott are the ones who see Bates and McDermott in practice all week.  Presumably they think Bates >> McDermott at this point.

Hopefully, they also think Nsekhe will be able to go, because it's a point that it's risky to go into a game with 3 OTs dressed.

• Like (+1) 2