Gruden didnt want Haskins

https://www.thescore.com/nfl/news/1847670/report-gruden-didnt-want-to-draft-haskins-overruled-by-owner-snyder

Washington Redskins head coach Jay Gruden said earlier this week that the team doesn't have a plan at quarterback right now, and his reluctance to play first-round pick Dwayne Haskins has underlined that point.

Now, Les Carpenter of the Washington Post has reported that Gruden did not want to draft Haskins with the team's No. 15 overall pick this year. The head coach and his staff apparently preferred a more experienced passer, but they were overruled by team owner Daniel Snyder, Carpenter added. Haskins started for just one full season at Ohio State before entering the NFL draft.

Four games into the season, Haskins has already sensed that he was not the head coach's first choice, a person close to the rookie quarterback informed Carpenter.

Gruden's staff reportedly remains excited about Haskins' future but maintains that he was not ready to start the year.

Haskins has been toiling as 0-4 Washington's No. 2 quarterback while starter Case Keenum has struggled. Meanwhile, Colt McCoy has yet to play since suffering a leg injury late last season.

Gruden has yet to name a starter for Week 5's test against the undefeated New England Patriots. However, reports from practice indicate McCoy has seen time with the first team.

3 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

I am so happy with McBean and the fact they are apparently on the same page with the same vision.

I am enjoying watching other teams be the train wreck for a change.

The Bills are also experiencing some of the same growing pains that good teams sometimes go through.

1 minute ago, Rocket94 said:

The Bills are also experiencing some of the same growing pains that good teams sometimes go through.

Thats fine with me and to be expected considering the lack of experience at many positions.

I'll take the 'growing pains' over FO ineptitude, narcissistic personality clashes and the general embrace of ignorance displayed by some teams (looking @ you jests, amongst several others)

• Like (+1) 2

Gotta feel bad for the kid here. Jesus. 

Thank god for guaranteed rookie deals. Haskins is in a bad spot. They’ll get a new coach next year, and be in a similar spot rob Rosen, where they get their guy at the top of the next draft.  

29 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

Thats fine with me and to be expected considering the lack of experience at many positions.

I'll take the 'growing pains' over FO ineptitude, narcissistic personality clashes and the general embrace of ignorance displayed by some teams (looking @ you jests, amongst several others)

I have been a fan a long time and this is the most promising Bills "team" that I have seen is some time. I see cause for optimism. I try not to worry about other teams unless they directly effect the Bills, and nor do I want to get caught up in comparisons and other bs. 

Edited by Rocket94
  • Like (+1) 2
  • Thank you (+1) 1

24 minutes ago, stosh64 said:

I am so happy with McBean and the fact they are apparently on the same page with the same vision.

I am enjoying watching other teams be the train wreck for a change.

Absolutely. I've said this so many times. We lucked out with McD and Beane big time.

They both had Same vision and blueprint on building a roster and have done a fantastic job , especially considering they have only 3 or 4 players that were on the team prior to 2017. 

• Like (+1) 1

When you look at who the Redskins had on their coaching staff while Gruden has been the HC, it’s shockingly hilarious he still has his job.  I mean they had some of the top young coaches in the NFL there, headlined by McVay.  

Gruden should be and likely will be first HC fired this year.  

• Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Mango said:

Gotta feel bad for the kid here. Jesus. 

Thank god for guaranteed rookie deals. Haskins is in a bad spot. They’ll get a new coach next year, and be in a similar spot rob Rosen, where they get their guy at the top of the next draft.  

I’m going to laugh hysterically if the Skins end up with the #1 pick, and the fish end up bridesmaids after tanking intentionally. Just perfect karma. 

It seems like it's becoming more and more common for HCs and front offices to be on different wave lengths when it comes to who they want and how they want to do things. GMs appear to be wanting to decided on what they want the team to look like and want the coaches to follow their vision while the coaches feel that the team should be how they want it and the GMs job is to get what the coaches want. This is fine if the Coach and GM are on the same page and want and believe the same things, but when they aren't it's a huge mess and you get what went on in Arizona and now what appears to be going on in Washington. Teams wasting draft picks cause nobody is working together and they are just doing what they want to do.

It's also possible it has always been like this but with the current media and access to insider stuff it is just becoming public more now.

• Like (+1) 1