Concussion hypocrisy

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

How can the NFL reconcile the Rams helmet, which clearly encourages leading with the helmet

Other, lesser culprits could be seen in the helmets of the:

Pats, Bills, Chiefs, Titans, Jags, Eagles, Vikings, Lions, Bucs, Panthers, and Seahawks.

Reverse forward charging logos on helmets be safer ?

.....but then the culprits would just run backwards to lead with their helmet.

Edited by I am the egg man
  • Haha (+1) 1

26 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Our QB has a concussion and obviously the problem is way bigger than just one player.  The NFL acts like it cares and we all complain about the lack of penalties, or excessive penalties, or selective enforcement but take a step back and look at the big picture.

I think any lawyer worth his salt could put the NFL in serious jeopardy w.r.t. their attitude towards concussions and leading with the head.  How?  The Los Angeles Rams.  Look at their helmet.  I'm not sure if everyone has seen nature shows about actual Rams but those things slam their heads together at an alarming rate of speed.  How can the NFL reconcile the Rams helmet, which clearly encourages leading with the helmet with their supposed concern for player safety.  You could make a case that some other helmets give the illusion of forward motion but the Rams is BLATANT.  Don't be surprised if this ends up in a case somewhere.

Pats, Bills, Chiefs, Titans, Jags, Eagles, Vikings, Lions, Bucs, Panthers, and Seahawks.

I was wondering what you would do to occupy yourself now that Andrew Luck has retired...

• Haha (+1) 1

40 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Our QB has a concussion and obviously the problem is way bigger than just one player.  The NFL acts like it cares and we all complain about the lack of penalties, or excessive penalties, or selective enforcement but take a step back and look at the big picture.

I think any lawyer worth his salt could put the NFL in serious jeopardy w.r.t. their attitude towards concussions and leading with the head.  How?  The Los Angeles Rams.  Look at their helmet.  I'm not sure if everyone has seen nature shows about actual Rams but those things slam their heads together at an alarming rate of speed.  How can the NFL reconcile the Rams helmet, which clearly encourages leading with the helmet with their supposed concern for player safety.  You could make a case that some other helmets give the illusion of forward motion but the Rams is BLATANT.  Don't be surprised if this ends up in a case somewhere.

Not including the Bengals, while listing the Lions helmet as culprits for concussions really discredits your whole post.   And a Raven can poke your eye out, which is worse than a concussion.

• Haha (+1) 2

1 minute ago, klos63 said:

Not including the Bengals, while listing the Lions helmet as culprits for concussions really discredits your whole post.   And a Raven can poke your eye out, which is worse than a concussion.

The Bengals just have stripes.  The Lion, while lunging forward, was marginal but made the list.  I can't really make the case that the Bengals helmet encourages head shots but their old helmet certainly didn't.

4 minutes ago, klos63 said:

Let's not forget the Giants. While the logo may not, on the surface, embody thoughts of severe physical trauma, it does still subtly represent a giant race of people - taller than the empire state building - that could crush all opponents to death simply by stepping on them. Remember the old logo...

NY Giants.jpg

• Like (+1) 2

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Let's not forget the Giants. While the logo may not, on the surface, embody thoughts of severe physical trauma, it does still subtly represent a giant race of people - taller than the empire state building - that could crush all opponents to death simply by stepping on them. Remember the old logo...

NY Giants.jpg

That's a stretch.  It's not even a modern helmet on that guy.  If they are going to get sued it will be the Rams long before this.  The secondary ones would be Bills, Pats and Titans who all changed from stationary logos to logos with forward motion directed at the other team.

1 minute ago, BillnutinHouston said:

Let's not be pots calling the kettle black.  Our own logo is leading with his head. 

Correct.  I made a list in the first post.  IMO we are one of three teams in group 2.

To be clear though the deep pockets are the league, not any individual team.  The NFL says it wants to cut down on helmet to helmet contact but then trots the Rams out there?  That doesn't make sense.

• Haha (+1) 1

1 hour ago, 4merper4mer said:

Big if true

2 minutes ago, HOUSE said:

Laugh if you want but money says professional flag football is coming, its only a matter of time.

Image result for Flag football image

Bettis in that commercial, being a former Ram, is interesting.  It's probably nothing but could be a subtle hint at something.

• Like (+1) 1

What is an actual interesting discussion is how come NHL players miss weeks and sometimes months due to concussions, where as if an NFL player misses 3 games, it’s a long time. 

What is different about either their protocols or sports that produce such drastic turn around times? 

57 minutes ago, 4merper4mer said:

Correct.  I made a list in the first post.  None are as over the top as the Rams but the Bills made the list.

What about the throw back helmet? That Buffalo is just standing there minding his own business. Would we be exempt if we revert to the standing Buffalo?

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1