Twilight Zone turns 60

Dr. K

Very cool article!

I watched TZ in syndication as a teenager. I went to grad school in Binghamton, where Rod Serling grew up, and attended a Rod Serling festival that featured a talk by Helen Foley - the high school teacher who encouraged him to become a writer, and for whom one of his characters was named. While I was there I bought a book - The Twilight Zone Companion - that gives a synopsis of every episode. I still have it, sitting on the bookshelf above my desk.

26 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

Very cool article!

I watched TZ in syndication as a teenager. I went to grad school in Binghamton, where Rod Serling grew up, and attended a Rod Serling festival that featured a talk by Helen Foley - the high school teacher who encouraged him to become a writer, and for whom one of his characters was named. While I was there I bought a book - The Twilight Zone Companion - that gives a synopsis of every episode. I still have it, sitting on the bookshelf above my desk.

As someone who is Binghamton born and raised and still reside here, Serling will always be known as this areas most famous resident. Many of his Twilight Zone episodes were based on his childhood days of growing up on the west side and his experiences during adolescence. 

My grandmothers brother went to school and graduated with Serling and spoke very highly of him. It’s not secret that his WWII experience really had a profound effect on him after he came home like many WWII vets at the time. I’ve always been fascinated with Rod Serlings life because of his ties to Binghamton and Upstate, NY. 

While The Twilight Zone was his most famous work, Night Gallery often gets overlooked. 

Serling's wife had a connection to the Finger Lakes area namely an Aunt Carol who had a cottage on Cayuga Lake near the small village of Interlaken, NY.  Most likely was the inspiration for his Cayuga Productions company name which is credited at the end of each TZ episode.

Edited by RochesterRob

5 hours ago, Tierlifer said:

While The Twilight Zone was his most famous work, Night Gallery often gets overlooked. 

NG reruns were poorly handled with editing and cuts. And don’t get started with the Gary Collins stuff tossed in.....

Nice article John. Remember going to college in the 70's...everyone would fire up a joint in their dorm room, then file down to the TV lounge at 11:00 PM for an hour of TZ. Unlike Night Gallery, which was always scary with a bad ending for the protagonist, one never knew if TZ endings would be good or bad, though if I recall correctly they were more often good. PS you left off Jack Klugman from your list of actors, who appeared in 4 episodes, tied for the most appearances with Burgess Meredith.

2 hours ago, Steve O said:

Nice article John. Remember going to college in the 70's...everyone would fire up a joint in their dorm room, then file down to the TV lounge at 11:00 PM for an hour of TZ. Unlike Night Gallery, which was always scary with a bad ending for the protagonist, one never knew if TZ endings would be good or bad, though if I recall correctly they were more often good. PS you left off Jack Klugman from your list of actors, who appeared in 4 episodes, tied for the most appearances with Burgess Meredith.

c'mon, 2/3 of TZ episodes were a long stall of 25 to 55 (gasp!!) minutes of waiting to deliver the obvious punchline.

13 minutes ago, row_33 said:

c'mon, 2/3 of TZ episodes were a long stall of 25 to 55 (gasp!!) minutes of waiting to deliver the obvious punchline.

I had no idea it was a cookbook.  Either that episode was in the 1/3, or I’m gullible.  ?

Edited by Ridgewaycynic2013
  • Like (+1) 2

15 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

I had no idea it was a cookbook.  Either that episode was in the 1/3, or I’m gullible.  ?

i had a feeling all along not to trust aliens led by Lurch

---------------------------------------------------------------

it seemed like heaven when full-access binging started up, EVERY EPISODE, YEE=HAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW....  :D

didn't seem like heaven after sitting through a few dozen TZs, some are classics of TV history (most sure aren't....)

those one-hour teleplays, oof.............

Edited by row_33
  • Haha (+1) 1

18 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i had a feeling all along not to trust aliens led by Lurch

---------------------------------------------------------------

it seemed like heaven when full-access binging started up, EVERY EPISODE, YEE=HAWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWWW....  :D

didn't seem like heaven after sitting through a few dozen TZs, some are classics of TV history (most sure aren't....)

those one-hour teleplays, oof.............

You have to take it in the context of its era. At the time, it was groundbreaking, just like Star Trek. I was a big fan of TZ and ST-TOS back in the day, but I wouldn't watch an episode of either one today.

25 minutes ago, WhoTom said:

You have to take it in the context of its era. At the time, it was groundbreaking, just like Star Trek. I was a big fan of TZ and ST-TOS back in the day, but I wouldn't watch an episode of either one today.

a ton of it was two-bit hack writing

Rod was fixated on a few themes that showed up time and time and time again

have you tried a binge watch of the first 3 seasons of the show?

again, 25 or 55 minutes just to get to the obvious punchline for most of it

TV isn't a place to find a lot of excellence in the humanities.

56 minutes ago, row_33 said:

Did you read the part where I said we'd smoke a joint before watching in the TV lounge?

44 minutes ago, Ridgewaycynic2013 said:

You're gullible...even stoned I saw that one coming.

26 minutes ago, Steve O said:

Did you read the part where I said we'd smoke a joint before watching in the TV lounge?

You're gullible...even stoned I saw that one coming.

i knew there had to be a key to watching it continuously.... :D

i figure almost everyone raving about TZ is thinking of 5 episodes of the 150 or so, not having sat through the worst 80 of them.

last week saw the one where Rod shows up in the show as a participant...

15 minutes ago, row_33 said:

i knew there had to be a key to watching it continuously.... :D

i figure almost everyone raving about TZ is thinking of 5 episodes of the 150 or so, not having sat through the worst 80 of them.

last week saw the one where Rod shows up in the show as a participant...

Question: What did the Twilight Zone fan say when he quit smoking pot?     Answer: God, this show sucks.