What if You Could Bring 1 Player Back - Who would it Be ?

T master

None, get over it and stop blowing snot bubbles about the past! Bill Polian: "This team hurt itself over the years by hanging on to fan favorites instead of looking to the future." Really bad post! You hang on to emotion! 

3 hours ago, TroutDog said:

Robert Woods for me as well. 

Its funny, I remember him being vilified on this board while he was here. 

Of course, this is TBD! We love drama!

1 hour ago, yungmack said:

Woods, Aaron Williams, Nigel "The English Gentleman" Bradham, Gilmore, Eric Wood, a reasonably sane Incognito, and, if at all possible, bring back the pick they didn't use on Mahomes.

Keep dreaming, its free!

4 hours ago, RevWarRifleman said:

I've scanned the answers and, I can't believe no one submitted.......FRED X!!!!!

Also Cookie, we must not forget our AFL guys.

Thanks for Cookie and the AFL!

5 hours ago, Ethan in Portland said:

Of the players McD or Beane let go or chose not to sign (edited as I forgot Shady as was poijted out below)

1. Gilmore

2. Woods

3. Watkins

4. Shady

5. Dareus

Stay in Portland!

5 hours ago, I am the egg man said:

Daryle Lamonica.

Sorry, there's no limits in a "what if" debate

...silly as they are.

Is that you Paul, bringing sanity to this dysfunctional conversation! Thanka!

• Haha (+1) 1

On 10/3/2019 at 12:26 PM, Real McCoy said:

Then and even now a 5year 34 million dollar contract is far from huge or overpriced. Money $$$$ talks, he would have stayed with the right deal.

So, you'd guys rather have Diggs 5 yr - 81mill contract or a Woods 5yr - 40mill contract since all the rage of Diggs trade rumors?  Bills F'd up with Woods big time well before hindsight. 

That Diggs contract is a huge factor for being able to get Diggs for a 2nd and 5th

Gilmore and White at CB would be so amazing. My choice would be Gilmore and it’s not even close.

• Like (+1) 1

On 10/3/2019 at 12:46 PM, T master said:

Since McD & Beane took over there have been a lot of players that they either got rid of due to attitude or lack of fitting their idea of being a process player, also there were some that left because they didn't like being here & after their rookie contracts were up they bolted for greener pastures such as Stephon Gilmore .

Some of those players being Sammy Watkins, Marcel Dareus, Goodwin, Robert Woods , Wyatt Teller, i would imagine that there are quite a few more that i am forgetting but if you could bring back 1 player to help the Bills out right now who would be your pick ?

Darby, Bradham... Even if you could bring a player back that was injured like Eric Wood of coarse he wouldn't be injured in this fantasy seeing as this is all just for a hope & a prayer type thing .

Try to keep it to the McD/Beane era or shortly before that cause we don't need to be saying players like OJ or something goofy like that but i was just thinking who that has been recently (within the last 4 yrs) let go, traded, or cut that if you could bring back to help the team now in a position that is lacking in depth or talent . 

I will start with my pick & this was a guy i couldn't understand why they let him go Robert Woods the dude does nothing but ball when he's out there & he is some one i think Josh could have used in his development & a true Bills type player !!

I'm glad Woods is where he seems to be happy  (and didn't go to the Pats) & getting paid but boy i wish he still wore a Bills uni !!

So who's your 1 player that you would bring back ??

Stephon Gilmore. Not sure why they got rid of him. Maybe they just wanted more assets to get Allen.

Robert woods didn't want to stay according to Beane, so there wasnt much we could do there.

off topic but still personnel related i wish we drafted Cooper Kupp instead of Zay Jones.

On 10/3/2019 at 1:08 PM, Golden Goat said:

Sills V

(posted on behalf of @Sherlock Holmes)

Still available :D

On 10/3/2019 at 1:26 PM, Ethan in Portland said:

Of the players McD or Beane let go or chose not to sign (edited as I forgot Shady as was poijted out below)

1. Gilmore

2. Woods

3. Watkins

4. Shady

5. Dareus

definitely Shady, that was a mistake to release him over yeldon.

Dareus  is a bum, just got busted for weed again. Should have gotten more than a 5th for him.

Should have also paid Incognito and not reduced his salary. Ritchie is a stud and wouldn't have lost his mind if he was taken care of by the team . Beane realised his mistake and revamped the oline after how bad it was last year.

On 10/3/2019 at 12:46 PM, T master said:

Since McD & Beane took over there have been a lot of players that they either got rid of due to attitude or lack of fitting their idea of being a process player, also there were some that left because they didn't like being here & after their rookie contracts were up they bolted for greener pastures such as Stephon Gilmore .

Some of those players being Sammy Watkins, Marcel Dareus, Goodwin, Robert Woods , Wyatt Teller, i would imagine that there are quite a few more that i am forgetting but if you could bring back 1 player to help the Bills out right now who would be your pick ?

Darby, Bradham... Even if you could bring a player back that was injured like Eric Wood of coarse he wouldn't be injured in this fantasy seeing as this is all just for a hope & a prayer type thing .

Try to keep it to the McD/Beane era or shortly before that cause we don't need to be saying players like OJ or something goofy like that but i was just thinking who that has been recently (within the last 4 yrs) let go, traded, or cut that if you could bring back to help the team now in a position that is lacking in depth or talent . 

I will start with my pick & this was a guy i couldn't understand why they let him go Robert Woods the dude does nothing but ball when he's out there & he is some one i think Josh could have used in his development & a true Bills type player !!

I'm glad Woods is where he seems to be happy  (and didn't go to the Pats) & getting paid but boy i wish he still wore a Bills uni !!

So who's your 1 player that you would bring back ??

These threads remind me of Uncle Rico of Napoleon Dynamite “ooooh if I could only go back to 1983.”

Bills fans love to romanticize about the past and assume that players who leave and have success would be able to experience the same exact success here in Buffalo, regardless.  I’m pretty sure this wasn’t the case.  

There’s a lot of pining for Robert Woods here.  “Oh we never should have let Roberts Woods walk, waaa waaa.”  Take a look at his numbers for the first 4 years of his career.  They are decent, but he never broke 700 yards....EVER.  We are talking Zay Jones numbers - a receiver that many consider to be a disappointment.

Numbers aside, while Wood was a steady performer for the Bills I can’t remember very many games where he dominated.  I do remember a Monday night game against Seattle where he was unstoppable, but aside from that he was a #2 at best.

In 2017, there was no outcry from the Bills fan base saying “we need to keep Woods.”  Most fans were very indifferent - they would have been ok with him resigning but no one really cared much when he left.

So Woods has success in LA with an

innovative offensive-minded HC and a QB who can throw 50 passes a game and has success.  There’s no guarantee he does the same thing in Buffalo.  In fact, I’d be willing to bet he puts up Zay Jones numbers still.

But I guess it’s more fun to say “We never should have let Robert Woods go”. 

On 10/3/2019 at 1:07 PM, Gugny said:

Without a millisecond of thought ... Bob Woods.

The second he was gone, I knew the Bills would rue the day.

This strikes me as a bit of revisionist history.  Why did you know the Bills would “rue the day?”  Woods was averaging 10 yards per catch and am gaining around 600 yards a season.

Now that he’s experience some success in LA, it’s easy to say that but I don’t at all remember fans saying it was a mistake to let Woods walk.  

Maybe when Zay Jones leaves After next season, I’ll start worrying ?

On 10/3/2019 at 12:49 PM, Big C said:

Robert Woods, no question. 

woods wanted to play  where he's from ...at home...and he got paid big to do it. if you were him you'd have done the same.

14 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

Traded a HOF Tackle for a 1st round pick because they didn’t want to pay him.  This move seems very Bush-League but a joke of a front office

peters looked like a dbag because of his holdout/ stance when, that now is the norm for players. he got traded. nowadays, that's a regular game and it's different.

Edited by billsredneck1

6 minutes ago, billsredneck1 said:

woods wanted to play  where he's from ...at home...and he got paid big to do it. if you were him you'd have done the same.

peters looked like a dbag because of his holdout/ stance when, that now is the norm for players. he got traded. nowadays, that's a regular game and it's different.

He wanted more money because he was being paid as a RT and not a LT who makes considerably more.  From what I heard, the Bills were being super stubborn about holding him to the contract he recently signed.  

36 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

These threads remind me of Uncle Rico of Napoleon Dynamite “ooooh if I could only go back to 1983.”

Bills fans love to romanticize about the past and assume that players who leave and have success would be able to experience the same exact success here in Buffalo, regardless.  I’m pretty sure this wasn’t the case.  

There’s a lot of pining for Robert Woods here.  “Oh we never should have let Roberts Woods walk, waaa waaa.”  Take a look at his numbers for the first 4 years of his career.  They are decent, but he never broke 700 yards....EVER.  We are talking Zay Jones numbers - a receiver that many consider to be a disappointment.

Numbers aside, while Wood was a steady performer for the Bills I can’t remember very many games where he dominated.  I do remember a Monday night game against Seattle where he was unstoppable, but aside from that he was a #2 at best.

In 2017, there was no outcry from the Bills fan base saying “we need to keep Woods.”  Most fans were very indifferent - they would have been ok with him resigning but no one really cared much when he left.

So Woods has success in LA with an

innovative offensive-minded HC and a QB who can throw 50 passes a game and has success.  There’s no guarantee he does the same thing in Buffalo.  In fact, I’d be willing to bet he puts up Zay Jones numbers still.

But I guess it’s more fun to say “We never should have let Robert Woods go”. 

This strikes me as a bit of revisionist history.  Why did you know the Bills would “rue the day?”  Woods was averaging 10 yards per catch and am gaining around 600 yards a season.

Now that he’s experience some success in LA, it’s easy to say that but I don’t at all remember fans saying it was a mistake to let Woods walk.  

Maybe when Zay Jones leaves After next season, I’ll start worrying ?

I was on record here multiple times opining that Woods was the best WR on the team while Sam Watkins was still here.  He may not have had the best numbers, but he came to play every week and didn't whine or complain one bit.

I was certainly not alone in being upset that we lost Woods, either. 

What was your username back then, since it looks like you've only been here since 2018?  Maybe it was another forum where fans weren't saying it was a mistake.

15 minutes ago, Phil The Thrill said:

He wanted more money because he was being paid as a RT and not a LT who makes considerably more.  From what I heard, the Bills were being super stubborn about holding him to the contract he recently signed.  

that's kinda the point i was making. teams were more reluctant to give in to contract disputes and holdouts than they are now. now player holdouts and renegotiating contracts is common.