McDermott in early COY discussion

YoloinOhio

7 hours ago, Bangarang said:

Shanahan, Reich and Payton are probably my top 3 with McD not far behind.

This is exactly how I view it as well.Think that's probably my exact order too.

I've always loved McDermott's leadership that he's shown since he first arrived, but I questioned some of his gameday decisions to the point that it made me question if he was the right guy. I think he's developing those skills pretty nicely though. Still has some issues, but in particular, he seems to have learned to adapt some analytics into his decision making on 4th downs, field goal/TD decisions, etc. that have me really gaining confidence in him.

Allen is going to get at least another 2 seasons after this one. He's shown all the intangibles you look for in a QB and is WINNING despite learning on the job and not even being close to his ceiling yet. It amazes me how many of us Bills fans, who like to think of ourselves as some of the smartest fans, have shown such impatience towards the rawest QB in the top of that draft. Relax and enjoy the ride

1 hour ago, Aireskoi said:

I know it's not popular around here or in today's NFL, but I love the way McDermott sees the game.

I love his style of football, I want my team to be a great defense first.  I would rather win 6-3 with no offense than lose 44-45 with my QB throwing 400 yards.

I want a defense that allows nothing.  I want a QB that can win the game, but I don't want to need him to.  

Coach of the year is too soon, but I'm glad he's the coach of the Bills.

1 hour ago, RunTheBall said:

Allen is going to get at least another 2 seasons after this one. He's shown all the intangibles you look for in a QB and is WINNING despite learning on the job and not even being close to his ceiling yet. It amazes me how many of us Bills fans, who like to think of ourselves as some of the smartest fans, have shown such impatience towards the rawest QB in the top of that draft. Relax and enjoy the ride

<_< :blink:   At least 2 years?

It's a bit too early for any guess at an extension imo.   

but as a Bills fanatic .... 

A HC who gets it and a QB that is getting it. 

How can we not LOVE that??? 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, DCOrange said:

This is exactly how I view it as well.Think that's probably my exact order too.

I've always loved McDermott's leadership that he's shown since he first arrived, but I questioned some of his gameday decisions to the point that it made me question if he was the right guy. I think he's developing those skills pretty nicely though. Still has some issues, but in particular, he seems to have learned to adapt some analytics into his decision making on 4th downs, field goal/TD decisions, etc. that have me really gaining confidence in him.

I think you are getting a little too deep into the minuta here.  The head coach's primary job is to get the right people, organize those people, and institute culture and philosophy.  Game day decisions like challenges, whether to go for it on fourth down, are wayyyyyyy down the list.  The former is just miles more important than the latter.  Fans attach to the latter, however, because it is the most accessible to them. They can see it, opine on it, etc. They just can't do that as well with the remainder.  In my opinion Reich and McDermott are miles ahead of the other two in that regard, with Shannahan a close third. Peyton is good too, but his team is the product of something he has been continuously building for much longer than the rest of the list.  

Edited by JoshAllenHasBigHands
  • Like (+1) 1

1 hour ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

I think you are getting a little too deep into the minuta here.  The head coach's primary job is to get the right people, organize those people, and institute culture and philosophy.  Game day decisions like challenges, whether to go for it on fourth down, are wayyyyyyy down the list.  The former is just miles more important than the latter.  Fans attach to the latter, however, because it is the most accessible to them. They can see it, opine on it, etc. They just can't do that as well with the remainder.  In my opinion Reich and McDermott are miles ahead of the other two in that regard, with Shannahan a close third. Peyton is good too, but his team is the product of something he has been continuously building for much longer than the rest of the list.  

Reich is winning with a backup QB who was thrown into the job at the last minute when their starter surprisingly retired just before the season started, most had this season as a write off for the Colts. Payton's team is undefeated with a backup QB who hasn't played much in the last few years after an injury that could have been life threatening, after having one of the best QBs in the league get injured. Shanahan has an undefeated team who's defence is playing elite. McDermott is squeaking out wins against the league's bottom teams with the 2nd easiest schedule so far. 

2 hours ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Shanahan, Reich and Payton pretty much all had playoff teams.  

McD not so much.   As seen posted here ...  The Bills were projected to have 6 wins and all these others 10 (ish?) 

That s/b brought into the convo imo 

Bruce Murray needs the Bills to go 1-9 for his preseason prediction to come true.  

• Haha (+1) 1

2 hours ago, RunTheBall said:

I think the winning is more of a team thing. Without a top 5 defence, Allen isn't going to have as many wins as he has now. The Bills aren't winning games on the strength of their offence.  Yesterday they struggled against a team that the offence should have been having career games against. Allen is still a work in progress along with this whole offence. He shouldn't be written off as a starter yet, but he also hasn't reached the point of being a top tier guy in the league yet.

4 hours ago, JoshAllenHasBigHands said:

It's all significant. A coach that isn't willing to go for it in obvious situations is costing his team games and ultimately probably putting a ceiling on what the team can accomplish. Obviously the culture is important too and McDermott had that part in spades from the get-go but without the former, I'd probably be looking for a new coach.

3 hours ago, apuszczalowski said:

I think the winning is more of a team thing. Without a top 5 defence, Allen isn't going to have as many wins as he has now. The Bills aren't winning games on the strength of their offence.  Yesterday they struggled against a team that the offence should have been having career games against. Allen is still a work in progress along with this whole offence. He shouldn't be written off as a starter yet, but he also hasn't reached the point of being a top tier guy in the league yet.

the same can be said for Lamar Jackson and Tom Brady (this season) 

Mich Trubisky  is playing so poor even his top 5 defense in total yards can't bail him out 

Edited by SlimShady'sGhost

3 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

It's all significant. A coach that isn't willing to go for it in obvious situations is costing his team games and ultimately probably putting a ceiling on what the team can accomplish. Obviously the culture is important too and McDermott had that part in spades from the get-go but without the former, I'd probably be looking for a new coach.

This is the exact hyperbole I am talking about when I say that "fans attach to [it]" because they can see and describe it.  Coaches make thousands of decisions before the moment of whether to go for it even arrives. Those decisions dictate whether you are ever even confronted with a "go for it" situation that could dictate a win or less. 

But setting that aside, how often does that even arise? How many games in a given season are decided by quite literally that one decision? Where setting all that other stuff aside, that "go for it" decision could even HAVE an impact on the outcome of the game. I would literally put the over/under at .5.  They may affect the flow of the game, or dictate what has to be accomplished later on, but they RARELY, if ever, decide the outcome of the game.  Fans just feel that way because they have such an emotional attachment to that issue--it being the only head-coaching decision they can materially and tangibly understand. 

4 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

yeah, good luck with that  

:lol:

Slim, I wrote about this before and I won't go ad nauseum here.

However, how do you see Allen with one year under his belt, the same QBs this year that were 6-5 last year as starters on this team, and then 9 new guys on offense that even if you just looked at them on paper were better than the 9 guys they were replacing and say to yourself...

"Same team.  Yep, same team.  6-10."

???????????

Edited by dollars 2 donuts
  • Thank you (+1) 1

3 minutes ago, dollars 2 donuts said:

Slim, I wrote about this before and I won't go ad nauseum here.

However, how do you see Allen with one year under his belt, the same QBs this year that were 6-5 last year as starters on this team, and then 9 new guys on offense that even if you just looked at them on paper were better than the 9 guys they were replacing and say to yourself...

"Same team.  Yep, same team.  6-10."

???????????

I am shady... not quite as slim ... lol 

Allen with one year under his belt

I see a kid "not NFL" ready by the so called experts making progress and with fewer and fewer mistakes as the season wears on. 

Am I 110% confident in him having eliminated the rookie mistakes .. nope.  But I have hope he will continue w/o many future blunders.   No QB is ever perfect. all they can do is limit the mistakes.  

What other team in the NFL has had 9 new guys on offense and done as well?    My guess none

Half (or more than) of the O Line is new as well as 3/4 of the receiving corpse 

• Thank you (+1) 1

16 minutes ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

the same can be said for Lamar Jackson and Tom Brady (this season) 

Mich Trubisky  is playing so poor even his top 5 defense in total yards can't bail him out 

Lamar (and Roman/Harbaugh) is easily the biggest reason Baltimore is winning games this year. That's why he's in the MVP race and Allen is not.

12 minutes ago, DCOrange said:

Lamar (and Roman/Harbaugh) is easily the biggest reason Baltimore is winning games this year. That's why he's in the MVP race and Allen is not.

and in a few weeks when his 100 yards rushing per game gets him injured what then?

Are you aware his completion rate is just a tick above Josh's and he didn't have Zay dropping balls left and right.

Schedule could lift Bills into postseason. ... October 8, 2019 ... The Bills, meanwhile, project to have the 4th-easiest schedule, behind only the Jets, ... Other teams that seemingly have benefitted from easy schedules: Eagles, 49ers and Ravens.

lets not pretend he has played the likes of NE.  

1 hour ago, SlimShady'sGhost said:

and in a few weeks when his 100 yards rushing per game gets him injured what then?

Are you aware his completion rate is just a tick above Josh's and he didn't have Zay dropping balls left and right.

Schedule could lift Bills into postseason. ... October 8, 2019 ... The Bills, meanwhile, project to have the 4th-easiest schedule, behind only the Jets, ... Other teams that seemingly have benefitted from easy schedules: Eagles, 49ers and Ravens.

lets not pretend he has played the likes of NE.  

If he's hurt he's hurt but there's really no reason to assume he'll be injured. And both Lamar and Allen have completed their passes at about the rate you'd expect given their passing profile. Lamar is creating a ton of plays every week and is leading the #1 or #2 offense in the NFL right now. Granted it's been a relatively easy schedule thus far but again, he's the biggest reason his team is winning games right now and the biggest reason they're scoring a lot of points.

Point is, you said Baltimore wouldn't be winning games if not for their defense. Their defense has been average at best while Lamar has pioneered arguably the best offense in the league so far this season. He is quite literally the main reason Baltimore is winning their games. That absolutely cannot be said about Allen right now and I say that as someone that thinks Allen is playing fine for the most part and really likes him as a prospect. He simply isn't on Lamar's level right now.

Edited by DCOrange