McDermott in early COY discussion

YoloinOhio

As a game manager, he is still learning, but he has gotten better. As a leader he stands head and shoulders above any HC we have had in a long time. The players talk like they are ready to stand at the gates of hell and fight for him.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Awesome! (+1) 1

I still think that McDermott is an excellent defensive coach and an excellent motivator, and designs some decent game plans with his coordinators but he is not a good in game coach, espically time management, and for a stickler for fundamentals it's ridiculous how many stupid penalties and false starts and undisciplined plays these guys make. Glad we have him though. 

• Like (+1) 1

28 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

I agree with this, let's wait just a bit...

Right, we shouldn't speculate at all about something so trivial as COY; however, it is never too early too speculate if Josh Allen will ever be even an average NFL QB, right?

Haven't seen you do any of that...

Just now, billsfan1959 said:

Right, we shouldn't speculate at all about something so trivial as COY; however, it is never too early too speculate if Josh Allen will ever be even an average NFL QB, right?

Haven't seen you do any of that...

COY thing is an annual accolade, we have a lot more info on Allen...

Just now, Seven-N-Nine said:

COY thing is an annual accolade, we have a lot more info on Allen...

You have six games of a sixteen game season on which to speculate on COY - that's almost half of the season. You have 18 games of what should be a long career on which to base your speculations about Allen...

Nice try

5 hours ago, Kelly the Dog said:

I still think that McDermott is an excellent defensive coach and an excellent motivator, and designs some decent game plans with his coordinators but he is not a good in game coach, espically time management, and for a stickler for fundamentals it's ridiculous how many stupid penalties and false starts and undisciplined plays these guys make. Glad we have him though. 

I agree the Bills penalties kill them. One of the reasons that Miami was in that game for so long yesterday with their lack of talent was because they play a very disciplined game (outside of Christian Wilkins if course). I actually think Flores is going to be a McD type coach and may have some real success down there eventually. 

Just now, SlimShady'sGhost said:

Shanahan, Reich and Payton pretty much all had playoff teams.  

McD not so much.   As seen posted here ...  The Bills were projected to have 6 wins and all these others 10 (ish?) 

That s/b brought into the convo imo 

It’s complicated on Reich because they were very good last year (after week 6) but he’s being given credit for regrouping after the Andrew  luck retirement and since he is a QB coach at his roots likely being given credit for the development of Brissett on top of that. 

• Like (+1) 1

6 minutes ago, billsfan1959 said:

You have six games of a sixteen game season on which to speculate on COY - that's almost half of the season. You have 18 games of what should be a long career on which to base your speculations about Allen...

Nice try

QB's typically do not get a career to determine whether or not they will be your franchise QB. They get about 1.5 seasons. As of right now, Allen is a middle of the road QB with only a few games left before he hits that threshold.  So far, Allen is only a small step above Tyrod Taylor, Taylor is not out there winning playoff games for anyone.

4 minutes ago, YoloinOhio said:

It’s complicated on Reich because they were very good last year (after week 6) but he’s being given credit for regrouping after the Andrew  luck retirement and since he is a QB coach at his roots likely being given credit for the development of Brissett on top of that. 

True that .....

or was it that Luck wasn’t that good??? ;););) 

2 minutes ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

QB's typically do not get a career to determine whether or not they will be your franchise QB. They get about 1.5 seasons. As of right now, Allen is a middle of the road QB with only a few games left before he hits that threshold.  So far, Allen is only a small step above Tyrod Taylor, Taylor is not out there winning playoff games for anyone.

Nonsense. Except, maybe, by fans like you.

I know it's not popular around here or in today's NFL, but I love the way McDermott sees the game.

I love his style of football, I want my team to be a great defense first.  I would rather win 6-3 with no offense than lose 44-45 with my QB throwing 400 yards.

I want a defense that allows nothing.  I want a QB that can win the game, but I don't want to need him to.  

Coach of the year is too soon, but I'm glad he's the coach of the Bills.

• Like (+1) 1

1 minute ago, billsfan1959 said:

Nonsense. Except, maybe, by fans like you.

Teams can't give players 5 years anymore, that's no longer the rebuild cycle.  GM's want to win when their players are on rookie contracts. Tannehill is a prime example of giving a middle of the road QB that much time.

Edited by Seven-N-Nine

1 minute ago, Seven-N-Nine said:

Teams can't give players 5 years anymore, that's no longer the rebuild cycle.  GM's want to win when their players are on rookie contracts. Tannehill is a prime example of giving a middle of the road QB that much time.

Kind of what is happening at the moment, don't you think?. They are 5-1  - but we all need to stop and express all of our concerns and fears, no matter how silly they may be, because, well, you know - Allen...

7 hours ago, TigerJ said:

Judging by a comparison of preseason opinions of what Buffalo's season would be like and their current 5-1 record, McDermott should be considered a frontrunner.  We'll have to see if it still looks that way in December.  Kyle Shanahan also has to be in that conversation, but I think Arians and Shurmur have probably dropped out of the running.

They’re already at the 5 wins some predicted they’d win.